2019 European GLAMwiki Coordinators meeting
Stockholm University, Wednesday 14 August, 2019Many Wikimedia affiliates are actively involved in GLAM activities, but rarely do we work together. Following from the 2015 edition and 2017 edition, this is a one day meeting is to share skills and best practices, coordinate projects, and consolidate connections between parts of our movement.
This meeting will take place parallel to the first day of the Wikimania 2019 Hackathon, in the "Spelbomskan" room of the Aula Magna building (top floor).
|10:00||Welcome||Introductions, prioritisation work, and description of current activities and difficulties|
|11:00||Planning the "Open GLAM Declaration"||Led by Scann, OpenGLAM. Workshop the list of organizations for outreach and outreach strategies. See previous work being carried out here. Slideshows available here. Medium OpenGLAM Publication here. Open Access Policies survey by Douglas McCarthy & Andrea Wallace here|
|12:00||Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons||Introduction by Sandra F. For a longer practical introduction, you can also check the (2 hour) YouTube recording of the August 8 Wikidata Lab in São Paulo. Other relevant sessions during Wikimania are the Structured Commons and GLAM panel, the hands-on training, and you are invited to the SDC problems and opportunities brainstorm.|
|15:00||Pattypan||Demo by Yarl of how to operate the most practical mass-upload system currently available.|
|16:00||FindingGLAMs||Demo by Axel Pettersson of the WM-SE/UNESCO database of GLAMs
|16:30||Discussions||Proposals and next steps|
|Invited attendees are each the representative of a European Wikimedia affiliate organisation who have responsibility for coordinating GLAM activities.|
|Attendees will primarily be Chapter-staff, but also can include designated volunteers or board members - also of Thematic Orgs or User Groups. Generally this will be 1 per affiliate, but in some affiliates the role might be shared.|
|As a "functionaries meeting", the cost of travel and accommodation is at the affiliates' expense.Attendees do NOT need to register for the preconferece in order to attend this meeting.|
Capacity: 30 people
- Europeana: Wittylama/Liam Wyatt
- Wikimedia Foundation: Astinson (WMF)/Alex Stinson
- Wikimédia France: Xavier Cailleau WMFr/Xavier Cailleau
- UNESCO John Cummings
- Wikimedia Spain: Rubén Ojeda (WMES)
- GLAM Macedonia: Violetova/ Zana Strkovska
- Wikimedia Ukraine: AntonProtsiuk (WMUA) (aka Aced)
Wikimedia Österreich: Claudia.Garad/Claudia Garád
- Wikimedia Armenia: Armineaghayan/ Armine Aghayan
- Wikimedia UK : Daria_Cybulska_(WMUK)
- Wikimedia Sverige: Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (as long as other things are not on fire...)
- Wikimedia Israel: Deror_avi (GLAM coordinator of Wikimedia Israel - Board member/volunteer)
- Wikimedia Norge: Jon Harald Søby (WMNO)
- Wikimedia Italia: Marta Arosio (WMIT)
- Wikimedia Germany: Lucy Patterson (WMDE), Elena Aleynikova (WMDE), Jens Ohlig (WMDE)
- Wikimedia Finland: Susannaanas / Participating also in the hackathon
- Creative Commons: Claudio Ruiz / Claudio Ruiz
- Wikimedia Serbia: Miljan Simonović
- Wikipedia Polska: Yarl / Pawel Marynowski
- NZ Wikipedian at Large: Giantflightlessbirds/Mike Dickison
- Wikimedia Armenia: Tamara Karvajar/ Tamara Grigoryan
How do we want to use this time? Please add items.
Especially since one of the focus areas of the Hackathon is GLAMwiki, and this meeting will be taking-place next door to the Hackathon, this is the perfect opportunity for the group to obtain expert training on the state-of-the-art tools and techniques relating to our work.
- Structured Data on Commons - Trainer Sandra Fauconnier
- +1: Liam, Miljan, Lucy,
- Pattypan - Trainer Yarl
- +1: Miljan, Mike
- Glamwiki workflow / Mortar : result of Prague Hackathon about building a common process including Pattypan and open refine. (Who can explain ?)
- +1: Marta, Lucy, Mike
- Wikibase & Wikidata - Trainer Jens Ohlig
- +1: Miljan,
- FindingGLAMs - Trainer Axel Pettersson
- +1: Liam, Miljan, Marta,
- Movement Organizers -- introduction to the research and how it can support training and program design. Alex Stinson
- Campaigns Framework -- Alex Stinson & Satdeep Gill
- Technology for global heritage and partnerships (see also this session) -- Sandra Fauconnier and (hopefully) André Costa
- +1: Marta, Lucy,
- Developing a handbook to guide UN agencies through the process of open licensing, presentation of work done so far, planned work and feedback from group (around 15 mins needed).
- <add suggested item>
What things should we really discuss together? What do you want to ask?
- Strategy process, especially regarding Partnerships.
- +1: Liam, Lucy
- +1: Xavier
- What is the status of the WMF grantmaking processes
- What is the role of a chapter in a glam project ?
- Working with volunteers community. Help partners to build a local support ? Have we some great exemples ?
- Regarding the volunteers availabilities : How far should the chapter work with Glam partners without volunteers ?
- How to improve the partner's autonomy in Wikimedia projects contribution ?
- +1: Miljan, Marta, Lucy
- WIR : Why, how and what after ?
- +1: Miljan, Lucy
- <add suggested item>
What GLAM projects have your organisation done in the last 2 years you want to show-off to your peers? What new projects would you like to request help or partners for?