Affiliations Committee/Resolutions/The Wikinewsie Group - November 2013
Affiliations Committee advice
- A group of wikimedians has requested to be recognised as a thematic organization under the operating name of "The Wikinewsie Group";
- The application of The Wikinewsie Group has been reviewed by the Affiliations Committee;
- The bylaws of The Wikinewsie Group have been reviewed by the Affiliations Committee;
- The thematic scope of the group can be found on Meta-wiki, which is: "to support independent original reporting on an open license platform, work towards increasing participation and content creation on Wikinews, educate future journalists by teaching best practices, and support the mission statement and vision of the Wikimedia Foundation".
- The group has enough number of participants involved in the project who are active members of Wikimedia community;
- It is the opinion of the Affiliations Committee that the group meets the requirements for Wikimedia Thematic Organization status.
- Therefore be it
- resolved that the Affiliations Committee hereby advises that the Board of Trustees recognise "'The Wikinewsie Group" as an official thematic organization, and grant it interim permission to use the Wikimedia trademarks pending the signing of a Thematic Organization Agreement.
Proposed Board of Trustees resolution
In accordance with the recommendation of the Affiliations Committee, confirming that the structure and bylaws of The Wikinewsie Group comply with the current requirements and guidelines for future Wikimedia thematic organizations, it is hereby resolved that:
The Board of Trustees provisionally recognises The Wikinewsie Group as a Wikimedia thematic organization and grants it permission to use the Wikimedia trademarks, pending signature of a Thematic Organization Agreement.
This provisional recognition and permission will expire in one year unless a Thematic Organization Agreement is signed, at which point recognition and trademark use will be governed by the terms of the Agreement for as long as it is in force. The provisional period may be extended at the discretion of the Foundation's Executive Director.
Resolution passed with 8 votes in favor, 0 votes against, 0 abstentions, 1 votes not cast, on 11 November 2013.