Black Lunch Table
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project creates a space to encourage people of color and women to join the Wikimedia movement while also asking white male editors to focus on gaps in coverage on Wikimedia. We mobilize the creation and improvement of a specific set of Wikimedia documents that pertain to the lives and works of Black artists. For each event we provide a list of suggested artists to add or edit, with particular focus on Black artists who have worked within or are local to the host institution’s community and are currently under-documented on Wikipedia.
- To increase the reach, connection with communities and presence of Wikimedia especially as it pertains to gaps of Black visual artists.
- Increase Wikimedia understanding, editorship, articles and article quality.
- To afford more new editors one-on-one attention, access to training and help them get the editing bug, fostering return editors.
- Increase visibility of marginal populations on Wikimedia through edit-a-thon events, online meetups, a photo initiative and other creative approaches.
All upcoming activities will be listed on our Meetup Page on Wikipedia here.
- Feb 9 at Staten Island Museum, NYC
- Join our monthly online meetup the last Sunday of each month
- Stay tuned to our Wikpedia Meeup page for our editathons in Houston, Detroit, Nigeria and Trinidad & Tobago this Spring!
In the past, BLT edit-a-thons have taken place at MOMA, NY Public Library, the McColl Center in Charlotte, the Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans, and Project Row Houses in Houston, Bridge Books in Johannesburg, University of Toronto, Scarsborough, and Banff Centre in Alberta Canada. Collectively, we have done much great work and much more remains to be done.
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration founded by artists Jina Valentine Fishantena and Heather Hart Heathart which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history. Since 2005 the BLT has taken a variety of forms relating to this most recent iteration, in the form of the Wikimedia project. Our event archive along with more info can be found here on our Wikpedia Meetup page.
Feel free to add your name to the list below if you are interested in participating!
Click here if you'd like more information!
- Founder, Fishantena, Brooklyn. board, press.
- Founder, Heathart, Chicago. board, press.
- Halimahart, Seattle.
- Nikitag94, Trinidad and Tobago/New York
- Blackdiamond2005, New York.
- Mjrbanx, Boston.
- Jgo1906, Houston
- Jamie Tubers, Ilorin, NG
- Visualdatablt, Los Angeles. board.
- Raggachampiongirl, Chicago
- Cimarronx, New York
Other BLT editors
- Nsengak, Cairo.
- Trini.lise, Trinidad and Tobago
- Anhamilton123, Durham
- LeahAsha, Brooklyn.
- NafisMWhite, Providence.
- Muserna_Muserna, Queens.
- Iamshiba, Cape Town.
- Maiacgoitia,New York.
- Nudgol,New York.
- Hartsmsmith, Seattle.
more on our Wikipedia meetup page here.