Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
|Wikimedia Foundation staff and contractors participate with the volunteer community in maintaining this page's content.|
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees ("Board" or "BoT") oversees the Wikimedia Foundation and its work, as its ultimate corporate authority.
The Board was formed in 2003 with three Trustees, and since 2020 consists of up to 16 Trustees. It appoints officers from the Trustees: a Chair, up to two Vice Chairs, and committee chairs. The Board appoints non-Trustee officers: a Chief Executive Officer, a Treasurer, and Secretary. The work of the Board partly involves resolutions and votes. Other work is delegated to a number of committees covering matters such as Governance, Audit, Talent and Culture, the Product and Technology Committee and the Community Affairs Committee.
The current membership composition of the Board is:
- 1 (one) founder's seat reserved for Jimmy Wales;
- 7 (seven) seats appointed by the rest of the Board for specific expertise selected in a process guided by the Board Governance Committee; and
- 8 (eight) seats elected by the Wikimedia communities and affiliates.
Contacting the Board
There is a Board noticeboard for sharing requests and recommendations. The Board can be contacted directly by posting to the noticeboard. The Wikimedia Foundation itself can be contacted in a number of ways as outlined on their contact page.
- Board of Trustees/Restructure Announcement Q&A, April 2008
- Wikimedia Foundation Audit Committee (Charter)
- Wikimedia Foundation Board Governance Committee (Charter)
- Wikimedia Foundation Talent & Culture Committee (Charter)
- Wikimedia Foundation Product and Technology Committee (Charter)
- Wikimedia Foundation Community Affairs Committee (Charter)
- Funds Dissemination Committee
- Current liaisons: Dariusz Jemielniak, Nataliia Tymkiv
- Affiliations Committee (Charter)
- Current liaisons: Shani Evenstein Sigalov, Nataliia Tymkiv
- Elections Committee
- Current liaisons: Esra'a Al Shafei, Jimmy Wales
- Language committee (Charter)
- Current liaison: Nataliia Tymkiv
- List of Board meetings (with minutes)
- List of Board resolutions
- Board deliberations process
- Composition of the Board of Trustees
- Presentations by Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees members
- Essays and discussions on ideal membership: