CIS-A2K/Events/VVIT Wiki Advanced Training 2018
Background and objectives
VVIT WikiConnect, a student-based Wiki-club at Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology, is organising a two-day Advanced Wiki Training Workshop for active Wikimedia contributors from VVIT. The event is being organised with an extensive support from CIS-A2K. The first day of the workshop will have sessions related to advanced tools and techniques around Wikidata. The second day of workshop will focus on training related to generic Wiki concepts such as copyrights and licenses, neutral point of view, reliability, verifiability, outreach program planning etc. It is intended that the learning from this workshop will help budding editors to organise outreach activities in future and continue the spirit of Wikimedia movement at VVIT by taking ownership of the newly established Wiki-club.
- Asrija1 (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- B leelasai (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Eswar Prabhat (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Kalli navya (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Kavyakollipara251999 (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- KCVelaga (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Madhumitha Velampalli (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Mekala Harika (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- MNavya (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Naga sai sravanth (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Nivas10798 (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Sreemanognyan (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Sriram vishnudatta (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Sumanth699 (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- SuswethaK (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Vanaja katabathula (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- V.s.vignesh (talk • e-mail • CentralAuth)
- Morning session.
- Neutral point of view (NPOV) tutorial
- Exercise on NPOV
- Why Wikidata use in Wikimedia projects and beyond?
- Afternoon session
- Basics of querying Wikidata with SPARQL
- Morning session
- Tools related to Wikidata
- Intro to Quarry
- Script to edit Wikidata from Wikipedia
- Listeria and its applications
- Wikipedia and Wikidata tools for Google Sheets
- Intro to ORES
- Afternoon session
- Intro to Lexeme
- Intermediate SPARQL
- For faculty (3:00 pm to 3:45 pm IST)
- Use of Wikipedia and its sister projects as a pedagogic tool
- Various Wiki-in-Education models to involve students with Wikimedia projects
Asaf Bartov visited India in December 2018, taking the role of a trainer at several Wikimedia activities across India, including Project Tiger Training 2018 in Amritsar and Advanced Wikidata Training 2018 in Mumbai.
During his visit, VVIT WikiConnect, along with the support from CIS-A2K, organised a two-day advanced Wiki-training workshop on 11–12 December 2018, for its students editors at VVIT, who have been contributing to Wikimedia projects for the past one year. The first day of the workshop kicked off with a discussion around the Neutral Point Of View (NPOV), where Asaf mentioned some key points to remember with regards to NPOV. This was followed by hands-on session, where the participants were provided to various instances to decide check for neutrality and other guidelines. Before that, there was a talk on use of Wikidata beyond Wikimedia projects. Post-lunch, the entire day was dedicated to learn the basics of using SPARQL to query Wikidata.
Following that, some of the participants build some queries which may be seen on this page. On the second day, some issues from the practice queries were discussed and rectified. Following that, Asaf demonstrated several tools that help Wikidata editors. These are TABernacle, Listeria, QuickStatements, and Wikipedia+Wikdiata tools on Google Sheets. Before concluding the two-day workshop, Asaf delivered a talk on Wikimedia and Education can hand in hand to the faculty and college management. It was attended by more than 25 staff members from various departments. Asaf also interacted with the college's chairman.