Before the conference - July 6th to 8th
After the conference - July 11-12
How to add an event
The satellite events from the Celtic Knot Conference are open to all participants and Wikimedia community members who would like to contribute to the event! We especially encourage people who are regularly organizing remote events (podcast, live-editing, editing challenge...) to plan a "Celtic Knot special" during the week of July 6th.
In a nutshell, here are the main rules for satellite events:
- The session should take place during the week of the conference, but not overlap with the main program
- The session should have a direct connection with the main topics of the conference: minority languages, Wikimedia projects, GLAM, education and community building
- You should be able to organize and run the session by yourself or with others (platform to use, moderation, etc.) as the conference organizers won't have the capacity to help you
- We encourage language diversity! The session doesn't have to be in English
- Make sure that you enter your event in the program above so people are aware of it!
Types of events
The satellite events should be accessible online, so the other Celtic Knot participants have the chance to participate. We encourage language diversity: feel free to run the event in your own language! We're only asking you to provide a quick description in English, so other participants know what it is about and can get inspired.
The satellite events must have a direct connection with the main topics of the conference, including at least one of the following:
- Minority languages / underserved languages / endangered languages
- Languages on the Wikimedia projects
- Wikidata & related tools
- Cultural organizations & Wikimedia projects
- Build and empower communities on the Wikimedia projects
Here are a few examples of sessions you could run: a live-editing session on Wikipedia in your language, a demo of useful tools to use on a small Wikimedia project, a discussion about how GLAM organizations can contribute to the Wikimedia projects, an editing challenge to improve the Wikidata labels in your language, a quiz with fun facts about Wikipedia and languages, a DJ set with music in various languages...
We especially encourage people who are regularly organizing remote events to plan a "Celtic Knot special" during the week of July 6th!
If your session doesn't comply with the previous guidelines, the event organizers may remove it from the satellite events schedule.
Plan your session
Important: satellite events are autonomously organized, which means that you should be able to prepare and run the session by yourself or with others (choose a platform to use, make tests beforehand, organize moderation, communicate about the session, etc.). The Celtic Knot main organizers will be very busy before the conference and will not have the capacity to support you. If you're new to running live sessions and remote events, we encourage you to get in touch with the other participants on Telegram, to ask for help or find some people who would like to join you.
Date and time: Your session should ideally take place during the week of the conference, from July 6th to 12th. Feel free to pick the time that works best for you, depending on your time zone. Participants will join from all around the world, not only Europe and USA time zones! However, please avoid times that overlap with the main conference program, and do not plan your session on June 9th or 10th. Exception: if you're in a time zone that allows it, you can run a session that happens in between the program parts (for example on July 10th at 01:00 UTC).
Communication: Once you decided on your topic, tools, date and time, don't forget to advertise your event to your local communities, on social networks, and of course on this page. Feel free to add "Celtic Knot special" to the title or to use the hashtag #CelticKnot2020.
Add your event in the calendar
Here are the practical steps to include it in the calendar:
- Gather all the information that you need: date, time, title, short description (including a version in English), link to the platform where the event will take place, link to the discussion space if applicable.
- Edit this page (we recommend using the Visual Editor)
- Create a new line on one of the tables, being careful to keep the events ordered chronologically
- Add your information using the following formats: "Monday, July 6th", "10:00 (UTC)"
- Add the relevant links in the link column (as buttons or just as links)
- If you're encountering a problem with the process or have more questions about the side events, please contact wikimediairelandgmail.com