Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Miscellaneous/Improve pdf outprints
Improve pdf outprints
- Problem: PDF does not work anymore
- Who would benefit: Anyone who wants to use wiki in printed form
- Proposed solution: Make PDF possible again. In older times there were two versions: text in one column including tables and text in two columns excluding tables. It would be desirable if the text could come in two columns and including tables as well as images in a suitable format (eg image (s) with text next to it in full page width). This would make the printout more "professional" in its design.
On the same occasion, the text should be corrected so that text arranged in list form (with numbers or hyphens) gets the same form as other running text (which was not the case before).
It is desirable if it becomes possible to edit a pdf layout and update the appearance until it gets the desired look prior to printing.
- More comments: Not all people are computer geniuses, so the possibility to the ability to edit the text should be fairly simple to understand.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Sven Halfdan Nielsen (talk) 07:19, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
Comment It's possible to download PDF with Chrome, but not for Firefox. We need also to do a review of this. I'm not sure if it's the same problem or one different, but apparently are related. --Ganímedes (talk) 09:48, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- @Ganímedes: can you elaborate ? It works just fine for me. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 11:45, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
Comment I'm a teacher, I sometimes use wikibooks with my students and this could be an important improvement, because they often need a good print version in order to follow properly the activities during the lesson in class. The majority of students don't have digital devices so a good print would help a lot.--AGeremia (talk) 11:04, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- @AGeremia: I would file a separate request for book rendering to PDF, as this also requires combining multiple wikitext pages into a single document, which is a complex procedure with much additional logic. Please do file that as a separate request. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 11:45, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
Comment @Sven Halfdan Nielsen: "Make PDF possible again". PDF already is possible, most wikis have a "Download as PDF" link right in the left column. Can you be more specific perhaps about where and when it does not work for you ? I also see you'd with additional layout options, which seems like a separate request from 'make pdf possible again".. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 11:45, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- @TheDJ: - when I made the proposal, I got the message, that it was not possible to download in pdf at all. But also: previously there were two different possibilities: one in two columns and one in full page. Later the two column possibility disappeared. I should like to see BOTH those possibilities restored. In fact, I should like possibilities to edit pdf-formats before saving/printing (but perhaps that is another theme). Sven Halfdan Nielsen (talk) 12:18, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
CommentPDF versions could be a good choice if they did not release author private information. For more information, read this page at Wikimedia. --Doostdar (talk) 14:03, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- Related? Bring back PDF book rendering — Draceane talkcontrib. 15:50, 27 November 2020 (UTC)
- Support MarioSuperstar77 (talk) 19:47, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support It is important that Wikipedia gets as user-friendly as possible. Braveheidi (talk) 21:05, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 21:48, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support OrCer (talk) 10:47, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 04:27, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support NaBUru38 (talk) 21:15, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support --Aristeas (talk) 16:42, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Theklan (talk) 18:08, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support LucySky (talk) 19:53, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support --Túrelio (talk) 20:04, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Sven Halfdan Nielsen (talk) 12:07, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Quedel (talk) 21:41, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Nachtbold (talk) 12:36, 21 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support S8321414 (talk) 14:17, 21 December 2020 (UTC)