|Deoband Community Wikimedia|
|Founding date||July 31, 2021|
|Approval date||January 16, 2022|
|Main office||New Delhi, India|
|Official language(s)||English and Urdu|
|Incorporation paper||AffCom Resolution (2022)|
(Sep 2023 - Feb 2024)
|Affiliations||Affiliations Committee, Wikimedia|
Deoband Community Wikimedia (abbreviated as DCW) is a recognized user-group affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation. It takes its name from the Deoband Islamic seminary, and aims at improving Wikipedia and its sister projects with knowledge and information related to but not limited to global Muslim academia, scholarship, history and culture, at a global level, in any language.
Established on 31 July 2021, DCW was recognised by the Affiliation Committee on 16 January 2022. It has introduced collaborative projects such as Deoband Yoruba Collaborative Project and DCW-K Editathon to sustain its growth and objectives. It hosts the DCW Conversation Hour once a month, and has firm activity plans for its growth and development.
In June 2023, DCW announced making of its leadership development and skills infrastructure plan and prior to that helped in making of Wikipedia 101, an educational learning video kit in in Turkish.
News and announcements
- 17-11-2023: The November DCW Progress Prism is happening on November 28.
Deoband Community Wikimedia was established on 31 July 2021, and recognised by the Affiliations Committee on 16 January 2022. It focusses on everything related to Muslim academia, history, culture, heritage and scholarship.
DCW does not limit itself to any specific language. It focuses on its theme that transcends all the languages and as such it tries to form collaborations with the language affiliates of Wikimedia Foundation and external organisations in order to disseminate knowledge related to its theme at a global level. The Deoband Yoruba Collaborative Project was formed on 25 June 2022 to promote the theme on Yoruba language Wikipedia.
DCW actively participates in movement governance and transformational leadership in global education. In September 2022, the DCW Conversation Hour was initiated as an open conversation hour. It was subsequently standardised in March 2023 and since then happens once in a month discussing issues that affect the global free knowledge movement.
- Deoband’s Bayt al-Hikmah Recognizes Aaqib Anjum Aafi’s Contributions to Digital Empowerment by The Chenab Times on 27 July 2023.
- Our founder Aafi interviewed by journalist Fredrick Noronha during WikiConference India 2023.
- DCW celebrates 10th anniversary of Wikidata by The Chenab Times on 31 October 2022.
- Deoband Wikimedia's 5-day long Bhopal Photo Event has started by Millat Times Urdu on 17 October 2022.
- Deoband Community Wikimedia announces a collaborative project with Yoruba language Wikipedia by The Chenab Times on 26 June 2022.
- Deoband Community Wikimedia members to meet in UP this week by Free Press Kashmir on 16 June 2022.