Grants:IEG/Open Access Video, Webinar, Conference talk series
Organize and produce media to inform potential movement partner organizations how and why to license content for Wikimedia. Distribute the media to relevant organizations.
2013 round 1
The Wikimedia movement is at the forefront of copyleft, open access, and creative collaborations. The success of the movement depends on access to as much of humanity's produced historical, artistic, and technology data as possible. This proposal's main focus is scaling outreach to institutions whose mission overlaps with Wikimedia's but may need more information and motivation to take the next step to sharing their content in a compatible format and license.
- Springboard GLAM efforts to scale across thousands rather than tens of institutions
- Develop professionally produced multimedia to introduce content gatekeepers to the concept of open access and the benefits of the creative commons license specifically
- Publish case studies of past successful partnerships
- Connect WP:Outreach with WP:GLAM with Open Knowledge consultants
Scope and activities
- Research and case studies
- Video production
- 3 webinars
- 3 media conferences
- WikiMania attendance
Tools, technologies, and techniques
- Moral support
- Support from Lori
Total amount requested
- 1 million dollars. Ok, $35/hr, approximately 17 hours per week, for 6 months, so $19,000. Plus I need funds for my stylist and chauffeur, so double that.
- Hiring 3 interns to write the case studies = $2000
- Open bidding process on Youtube for media production = $1000
- Printing on 70mm film = $15000
- Server hosting = $200
- Conference travel = $5000
- Campground fees = $35
- People who art, love art, or are named Art
Fit with strategy
- Increasing buy-in from GLAM-like organizations, building access to quality content, increasing participation from GLAM experts and media leaders
- I will create a Thematic Organization called the GlobalGLAMathon to continue the work and distribute microgrants to art students.
Measures of success
- Were the number of Wikipedians in Residence tripled? Then successful
- Were the number of letters added to the GLAM acronym increased (e.g. GLAMPBNOTRS)? Then successful
- Was J-Mo kept up late on Thursdays? Then successful
- Ocaasi, all around good guy
- BlueWatermelon, activist and medical researcher
- SusieStarch, indefatigable "doer" with a masters degree
Please paste a link to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions, here.
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.
- As nom. Ocaasi (talk) 23:56, 15 January 2013 (UTC)