User talk:Doc James

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
(Redirected from User talk:Jmh649)
Jump to: navigation, search

Afrikaans | العربية | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردیی ناوەندی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | Հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | Kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk bokmål | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Contents

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello Jmh649, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). If you would like, feel free to ask me questions on my talk page. Happy editing! Tempodivalse [talk] 14:25, 24 November 2009 (UTC)

Thanks.Jmh649 14:31, 24 November 2009 (UTC)

Message[edit]

You have a message at the Wikimedia forum page. Immunize 15:00, 1 April 2010 (UTC)

Numbering on banners[edit]

Hey Jmh646, I'm removing the numbering you added to some of the banners, we're constantly moving them around. You can substitute the numbers with banner names if you want.--Deniz (WMF) 23:30, 16 September 2010 (UTC)

WMC meeting[edit]

Hey, Jmh. I noticed that you wrote that there was a WMC meeting on the 25th. If this is accurate, could you please tell where it was announced beforehand? I don't want to fall out of the loop. Thanks, Arctic.gnome 07:06, 26 September 2010 (UTC)

Redirect to Wiki Canada website[edit]

I thank you for _not_ reintroducing this redirect until Wiki Canada has been approved as a Wikimedia chapter and bylaws are definitive. Thanks notafish }<';> 11:47, 4 February 2011 (UTC)

Deletion from steering committee list[edit]

Doc James: I have responded to your comment here: User_talk:Enquire#Wikimedia_Canada Hope you can help resolve the bureaucratic log-jam in Germany. Any suggestions?

Inappropriate note[edit]

I saw your note at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide#Oppose. What is your point? Your note is both redundant (I identified myself with a Talk page) and inappropriate -- will you make a note for each person who posted on the page? Only the dissenting voices? What is your rationale? Do you want to actually try to dispute what I posted in some way, or just vaguely imply something? You should remove your note.--IBobi (talk) 17:59, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

Most of the others have indicated their background within their support / oppose position. Your background is of course importance to your comment and these sort of notes within the WM movement are common. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 18:11, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

Travel guide[edit]

I have seen your message on my talk page. It is true that, both in English and Spanish (the one I most use) W'pedias are not supposed to be travel guides. Anyway, check for any tourist attraction on Wikipedia and then on Wikitravel. Big Ben on English Wikipedia and Big Ben on English Wikitravel, while on the first you get a proper article about the British landmark, on the second you are redirected to a general London article which, honestly, I think it is just some Tourist's Yellow Pages. --Schumi4ever (talk) 13:43, 21 July 2012 (UTC) PS: I have just shown you one article about a really famous landmark in one of the World's biggest cities. Go to any 6k-inhabitant-village and look for a church or something. Wikipedia probably has the article, I honestly doubt Wikitravel will even show you an article about that village. --Schumi4ever (talk) 13:46, 21 July 2012 (UTC)

Yes but what if I want to know how to get to Big Ben? The Wikipedia articles does not tell me which train takes me their. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 15:23, 24 July 2012 (UTC)
Then we have got WikiBooks, which can be used as a travel guide, as it is not forbidden as far as I know. Furthermore, how many private enterprises and companies will be looking for adding their addresses to that guide? That would be self-promotion, which, at first, is forbidden and secondly, they would be also willing to pay a small amount to be there, which would be advertisement. Using the same Big Ben example, every single London underground station has its own article which redirect to important sights: Westminster tube station. Just in case, I am not from London, I live in Almería, a small city in the South of Spain, by the Mediterranean, whose economy is heavily supported by tourism, but I cannot see the point of having a Wikimedia Wikitravel. --Schumi4ever (talk) 18:58, 25 July 2012 (UTC)
Yes I do use Wikipedia for travel but it is not as good as could be a dedicated travel guide. Wikibooks may be a possible suggestion but as mentioned WT/WV is as big as all of Wikibooks. Have you edited Wikibooks much? What do you think the community their would think? Agree efforts to deal with potential advertising will be needed. We have articles on most pharmaceuticals and medications are of course commercial in nature in much of the world. We do occasional have to deal with pharmaceutical reps trying to bend the research and promote their projects but they are still an important part of Wikipedia. Same with movies. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 20:11, 25 July 2012 (UTC)
Not very often, but I have edited W'Books several times. It would be perfect for me, I have no complain about Wikibooks hosting some travel guides. But a dedicated travel wiki is not the way to reach tourists. Just like W'pedia articles can show links to Commons categories, they can also link to a Wikibooks travel guide.--Schumi4ever (talk) 12:11, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
I think both formats would work well together (a dedicated wiki and a number of wiki books as a amalgamation of content by country or theme) as described here by Lane [1] Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 16:28, 26 July 2012 (UTC)

Message on my user talk page[edit]

Hi and thanks for your message on my talk page.

Thousands of contributors you said ? I don't think so... Look at this page : less than 500 contributions per day. And this is the english one : look at the french one for comparison! As I said, it will be like Wikispecies or Wikiversity : an empty project.

The only projects that are really developed are Wikipedia, Commons, and a little the Wiktionnary. Why can't we concentrate ourselves on that ones, instead of adding other projects ? I don't understand. The goal is not to make a "collection" of many project. excuse me if I made some faults --Woozz (talk) 17:24, 23 July 2012 (UTC)

WV has more than a 1000 registered accounts. There are at least 50 admins who are active at WT who wish to join. I am betting that their may be a 1000 people who make more than 5 edits a month. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 15:20, 24 July 2012 (UTC)

Travel guide[edit]

Hi,

Thanks for the message. I still firmly believe that such a projet goes against the core principles of Wikipedia. This encyclopedy can't be an advisor, in any field. You can think, OK it's only travelling, but what happen if you change one term : ex Medicine Guide ? Plus, the fact that by itself Wikipedia can be used as a guide for readers : so what is the advantage. Perhaps ultimately, some final goal of this projet : at some point I bet that the advertising question or PoV pushing of whatever company will occur. Not mentionning all the derivative products that can be made of this communautarian work. For example : posters of images from Commons, which I personnaly disapprove. I don't forget the terms of the CC licence : a possible commercial use is clearly ennounced ; you can say so for WP, you'll be 100% right but it doesn't pretend to be a guide. Cheers.--LPLT (talk) 16:11, 24 July 2012 (UTC)

This is not a proposal to add travel content to Wikipedia. This is a proposal to create a separate project which will be a travel guide seperate from Wikipedia. While Wikipedia tells one about famous places it does not give information on how to get their or how to stay alive once you have arrived. As a traveler this is useful information.
Do agree that their are potential issues going forwards regarding advertising. I am hopeful that with an active community of intelligent editors these issues can be addressed or at least keep to a minimum. We at Wikipedia struggle with groups that try to use our site to promote their religion or medical products and it is constant work to keep this at bay. I am not sure if the problems will be more or less with a travel guide. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 17:11, 24 July 2012 (UTC)
Don't worry, I perfectly understand the separate wiki, but also all the issue about it. The basic point in my mind is that WP can't be a guide or an advisor in any way. Neutrality and distanciation are non negociable on such an open media, it's a basic principle edicted a Day 1. Both point at task, if not impossible, in such a project. Not mentionning the commercial use of it. I'm opposed, and vote against it. It seems that a majority of contributors do not think that way. Thanks for this exhange of point of views. Cheers.--LPLT (talk) 21:45, 24 July 2012 (UTC)

rationalwiki[edit]

RE: Brasil[edit]

Support Support your intention! I hope you visit Rio. Let me know when you are coming! See ya! Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 03:28, 2 August 2012 (UTC)

By the way I registered at ProZ.com but I can't log in in TWB. Can you help me? Thanks, Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 03:51, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
Sure. This time we are on a strike (yes, it still happens in Brazil) but when I come back to college I will try an appointment with the principal and talk about it. We can develop this dialogue soon. Thanks for help! Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 04:45, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
Great and would be happy to help with getting the Brazilian chapter up and running.Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 04:49, 2 August 2012 (UTC)

James, I still can't access TWB with my ProZ account. It says: "That username and password does not match an account in this workplace." We didn't have an answear to that message. Any idea about what to do? Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 04:01, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

Sent Enrique an email. He is managing the site. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 04:14, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
Thank you! Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 04:15, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

My e-mail[edit]

My e-mail is berci.mesko at gmail.com, thanks in advance! NCurse (talk) 12:00, 2 August 2012 (UTC)

Of course. Yes thanks. Have sent you an invite.Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 13:57, 2 August 2012 (UTC)

Med translations blog post[edit]

Hi Doc James!

Thanks so much for jumping in and editing the blog post. Please let me know when you are happy with it and we'll get it up on the WMF blog. Matthew (WMF) (talk) 20:21, 9 August 2012 (UTC)

Looks great. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 19:36, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

Templates[edit]

Thank you, I didn't even know that the template existed here. However, if we have to use en.wiki templates, I'd rather have used "not in cited source" (if I'm quoting it correctly). ;-) --Nemo 22:02, 20 August 2012 (UTC)

Mailing list for Wikimedia Medicine[edit]

Hello. Just one more question. Which exact name do you want for the list? "wikimed" or "wikimedia-medicine" or other of your preference? Regards. -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 12:05, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

I have created bugzilla:40726 for you. Since you have an account there I have CC'd you in the ticket so you can get the updates. Regards, -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 19:31, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open[edit]

Hi there,

You are receiving this message because you edited the initial naming straw poll for the Wikimedia Travel Guide.

The proposed naming poll is now open and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.

Thanks, Thehelpfulone 23:07, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Cupco[edit]

User:Michaeldsuarez/Sockpuppetry#User_talk:Jmh649 – I'm just letting you now that I've mentioned you in my sockpuppetry investigation into Cupco. --Michaeldsuarez (talk) 15:35, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

Sure no worries. Never really looked much into this users activities. Providing mostly just general advice. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 16:03, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open[edit]

Hi there,

You are receiving this message because you voiced your opinion at the Request for Comment on the Wikimedia Travel Guide.

The proposed naming poll opened a few days ago and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.

Thanks, Thehelpfulone 21:20, 6 October 2012 (UTC)

E-mail[edit]

You have an e-mail! :-) Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 23:56, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

CentralNotice for Wikipedia's birthday[edit]

Re diff, is it really appropriate to use a global notice on all projects announcing Wikipedia's birthday? It's not a huge thing like WP10, and it seems to be only of note on Wikipedia. (For that matter, Wiktionary's tenth birthday came and went without anyone off of Wiktionary even noticing.) I think announcing it using a CentralNotice every time Wikipedia's birthday rolls around is really overdoing it. --Yair rand (talk) 22:40, 25 December 2012 (UTC)

I was thinking having more weight on announcing the official launch of Wikivoyage. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 01:18, 26 December 2012 (UTC)
I would agree with Yair rand on this, I think that if you want to run the banner on the other projects advertising the new launch of wikivoyage I could understand that but it should be a different banner without mention to the WP anniversary. Banners like it have traditionally been a very sensitive point with non WP projects and I think would take away from the actual message you're trying to get across. The last thing you want is people writing it off as another group who didn't care about non WP projects (especially given that that's very obviously not the case :) ). Jamesofur (talk) 06:17, 6 January 2013 (UTC)
Sure I have no strong feelings either way. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 15:16, 6 January 2013 (UTC)

CentralNotice for Wikivoyage launch[edit]

Hi James, is there a problem, um, wrong cat in the translation, er, request? Are we going about asking for translation help correctly? See it's "Problem?" section at bottom of its talk page --Rogerhc (talk) 04:06, 8 January 2013 (UTC)

Yes I have no idea how to format this request. It is a confusing setup. I have tried to ask someone who may know. They have not got back to me yet. I was hoping other Wikivoyagers would do the translation. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 04:22, 8 January 2013 (UTC)
Translation seems to have happened. Excellent. Now we need graphics. Time is short. We will need help from someone who has done this before I think. I am only one voice. Two is stronger. Could you add your voice to the discussion at top of Talk:Wikivoyage_2013/CentralNotice#Banner please? Helpfulone may be able to find help for us if we ask him to. Time is short. Would be great to do this well. Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 18:22, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
Good news. Looks like Jalexander will help us prepare the Wikivoyage launch announcement central notice. He has commented at Talk:Wikivoyage_2013/CentralNotice#Banner. I think he may be a big help. --Rogerhc (talk) 00:40, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
James, I did some Wikivoyage launch central notice mock ups on test.wikipedia.org. Jalexander suggested breaking the text into two lines. I did some up as one line, some as two. My favorite right now is WikivoyageMockUp5g. Notice I cut "in" and "that" out of some. I feel it is better without them. And for the two liners, I dropped the dash and capitalized the first word of both lines instead. Also, no periods. I don't think periods would help. This is signage style, not prose style. All the designs scale well when you drag your browser window to various widths. Please voice an opinion at Talk:Wikivoyage_2013/CentralNotice#Banner, perhaps just under the info box there.--Rogerhc (talk) 05:32, 13 January 2013 (UTC)

TDC[edit]

Re: "I would love to see not just a FDC but a tech dissemination committee where people can apply for tech support for projects." -- this is a lovely idea. SJ talk 

Thanks SJ. Wondering how I should pursue it? I and many other I am sure need tech support for the work we do on Wikipedia / Wikimedia projects. And while I am even willing to pay someone I have no idea about hiring people who know how to edit Media Wiki software.Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 07:20, 6 February 2013 (UTC)

Welcome to the IEG Committee[edit]

Hi James,
Thanks for signing up to join the Individual Engagement Grants Committee! It is my pleasure to confirm your membership. We’ve got a lot to accomplish together, particularly during the next 6 weeks, and it will be awesome to have your help. Here is how to get started:

To make your membership official, please do 2 things by February 11th:

  1. Introduce yourself in the IdeaLab.
  2. Send your email address to IEGrants@wikimedia.org, so that we can subscribe you to the committee mailing list.

Then there are 2 first tasks' for active committee members to start on right away:

  1. Review information in the Committee Workroom (your new organizing hub on meta), including responsibilities and the review process. Feedback and questions are very welcome at this stage.
  2. Start giving feedback on open ideas, drafts and proposals. Asking questions to gather information you’ll need to make a recommendation helps prospective grantees think their projects all the way through, and will give us more great proposals to choose from.

Our formal review of proposals starts February 22nd. I’ll be posting information about scoring and selection of proposals on the committee mailing list and in the Workroom soon, so please keep an eye there!

Thanks again for joining this new grantmaking program...I hope we’re going to see some amazing impact from these grants! :-) Siko (WMF) (talk) 06:14, 7 February 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Siko Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 11:04, 7 February 2013 (UTC)

Easy Media Uploader Proposal[edit]

Hey Doc James, I moved your comments to the discussion tab of my proposal just so others discussing it could view it. I also posted a response. Thanks for your feedback! Ash Ashstar01 (talk) 05:37, 9 February 2013 (UTC) http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Easy_Media_Uploader

Re:Increasing advertising for Wikipedia[edit]

Sounds like a reasonable idea. So verification is needed. I am not exactly sure what is needed for this?

Also with respect to "At least 60% of funding (120 USD) will be used for merchandise as the prize" What kind of merchandise are we talking about? Wikipedia related merchandise? Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 00:40, 23 February 2013 (UTC)

Here is another page for details, which said I need "An Authorization Letter for maintaining the Weibo account with Company’s seal or legal person’s signature" and a copy or a photo of "The Company Registration Documents".
We focus on the merchandise from the Wikimedia Shop. But since it's expensive (compare with the price in China), if we get permit from WMF, we might consider to get some custom-made postcard or other localized merchandise like tees or stickers. --AddisWang (talk) 14:59, 24 February 2013 (UTC)

Convidando o Brasil[edit]

Pleas, I would ask your attention to the comments of the committee evaluation, thank you.Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 01:12, 15 March 2013 (UTC)

IEGCom move[edit]

Hi James! I wanted to let you know that I moved you to the inactive list for the IEG Committee, because we haven't heard from you during the committee's formal review period. But we still love you! So, if and when you've got time to participate again, please feel free to jump back in and add yourself back to the active list. Thanks! Siko (WMF) (talk) 00:04, 16 March 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Siko. I will see how things go. So much to do so little time :-) Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 23:07, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

Grantmaking Barnstar[edit]

IEG barnstar 1.png Individual Engagement Grant Barnstar
For all your thoughtful contributions to discussions about IEG proposals and the program in general, I am grateful to you! Thanks so much for contributing to this pilot round - you helped us get off to a great start. Siko (WMF) (talk) 22:36, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

Mapping the Global Economy[edit]

I saw that you were involved with the creation of Wikivoyage. I am interested in creating a new Wikimedia project focused on economics. The link to the page is at:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map

Do you have any advice?

Email me. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 22:35, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

The Stethoscope: A Wiki Project Med Foundation Review (Issue 1)[edit]

Wiki Project Med Foundation

Wiki Project Med Foundation (WPMEDF) was formally incorporated in New York as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our mission is bold like Wikipedia's: Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to the sum of all medical knowledge." That's what we're doing.

In this newsletter:

Wiki Project Med Logo.png
  • Designing our logos and name: How and why we made them
  • Creating Our Board: Who's involved and what they're doing
  • Adding 70+ Interested members: Participants from all over the globe
  • Furthering ongoing projects: Expanding exciting in many directions at once
  • Proposing Wikimania presentations: Sign up for the talks that interest you
  • Taking on on social media: Up and running with outreach (plus business cards!)
  • Charting pathways for how you can help right now: a great list easy and important areas to contribute


Read the Full Newsletter


We aim to run The Stethoscope at least once per quarter and no more than once per month. We only send to people who already signed on as WikiProject Med or Wiki Project Medicine Foundation interested members/participants. If you do not want to receive the newsletter, please add your name here.

It's been a pleasure so far, and we have so much more to do. Wishing you happy Spring up North and pleasant Autumn down South.

--Jake and the rest of the Wiki Project Med Foundation Team, Ocaasi (talk) 20:01, 8 May 2013 (UTC)

CT: copyright issues[edit]

Hi, perhaps you would be interested in commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Computed tomography of human brain - large.png. --Eleassar my talk 10:42, 16 September 2013 (UTC)

Community logo consultation[edit]

Hi James, I notice that you supported Community Logo/Reclaim the Logo by adding your !vote to the Support section, but did not take part in Community Logo/Request for consultation started by the WMF. Given that they seem to consider only the !votes cast in the latter survey (for lack of a better word), would you mind voicing your opinion there, too? I think this would help us (the community) present a more correct balance of the discussion. Thanks, odder (talk) 18:51, 21 November 2013 (UTC)

Allowing the appeals of banned users be heard publicly[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Will_Beback&diff=598479969&oldid=598405257 – Nice work. Not many people would've defied ArbCom for the sake of a banned user. --Michaeldsuarez (talk) 12:50, 7 March 2014 (UTC)

I am glad you appreciate the boldness. After a user makes 120,000 edits to improve Wikipedia they should be treated with slightly more respect. Especially after the evidence against them is so weak. Also there is no evidence this came from Arbcom. And arbcom is in some desperate need of community oversight. But that is another issue :-) Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 23:59, 7 March 2014 (UTC)
Sorry, I should've said "an Arbitrator" instead of "ArbCom". I'm glad that something I've said has made someone happy. Thank you, and please keep up the good work. --Michaeldsuarez (talk) 00:55, 8 March 2014 (UTC)

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics[edit]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

Hello, Doc James! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

domain .eu and Cochrane in Italy on May, 23rd[edit]

It was a pleasure :-) On May 23rd I'l be in Milan with a poster on "Nursing and Wikipedia" at Italian Cochrane Collaboration annual meeting (where you will be present with an oral presentation on WPMF)... See you soon :-)

Fabulous that you can make it. By the way Cochrane want to have an editing session in Rome on the 26th. Would you or local Wikipedians be able to join me? Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 06:43, 9 May 2014 (UTC)

Wiki Project Med[edit]

This looks like it hasn't been active since May? What's been going on with it if anything? Zellfaze (talk) 19:15, 26 August 2014 (UTC)

We are involved in a great deal of activities as listed here [2]. The largest project is this one here [3]. Are you interested in anything specifically? Last news letter is here [4]. Another is being worked on. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 21:27, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
Being monolingual, I can't really help too much with translation, except maybe to English, which seems generally unneeded. The reason I had thought nothing was going on is that the website listed on the project page hasn't been updated for some time, and I wasn't able to find any of the newer newsletters easily. I'll take a look at the list of on-going tasks though and see if I can't find anything useful that I can do. Thank you! Zellfaze (talk) 13:33, 29 August 2014 (UTC)
We need help keeping the website uptodate :-) We also need help with adding already completed translations and fixing any broken markup that may have occurred. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 19:44, 29 August 2014 (UTC)

Idea I would like a first feedback on[edit]

Hi Doc James, we don't know eachother, but I have seen your contributions to the medical translation project. I think it is a great project. As such I value your opinion and would like to ask your feedback on a quick thought I had. Please see User:Taketa/WikiJournal. I would appreciate your feedback on the talk page. It is highly appreciated. Thank you. Sincerely, Taketa (talk) 16:20, 14 March 2015 (UTC)

We have [5] already :-) Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 22:12, 12 May 2015 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.



Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Signpost inquiry[edit]

Hi. I've emailed you. Thanks. Tony (talk) 01:54, 11 May 2015 (UTC)

Thanks Tony. Will work on getting you a response. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 14:45, 11 May 2015 (UTC)

Accidental revert?[edit]

Special:Diff/12182107 looks like perhaps a mistake -- take a look? -Pete F (talk) 00:52, 13 May 2015 (UTC)

Thanks User:Peteforsyth not sure what happened. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 00:55, 13 May 2015 (UTC)

Murder of Meredith Kercher Question[edit]

Hi James: Some notes on your response to my question. I think that WMF members should have considerable expertise on a number of issues. The discussions I'm seeing are very general and seldom cite specific cases. If someone is to speak with expertise about BLP or in the Kercher case rogue administrators they should have studied at least 20-30 specific cases. The talk page is quiet because those who believe that Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito had no involvement in the crime are not allowed to edit the article. Fact. I hope you'll take a moment to take a closer look. This is a major Wikipedia scandal that has terribly harmed living human beings. It's also important because of the USA v. EU/UK aspect to it which is profound. The article I've written here cites many RS. I hope you'll read it.

It's no surprise that some article will have problems and a very small number will have big problems. Also take a careful look at what Jimmy has said about the topic. His statements really have been extraordinary. PhanuelB (talk) 11:46, 14 May 2015 (UTC)

The article state in the lead "the judges wrote there was a "material non-existence" of evidence to support the guilty verdicts, and that an association among Sollecito, Knox, and Guede to commit the murder was "far from probable"". Hardly an endorsement that they are guilty.
I am not seeing any uses of RfC in the last couple of years attempting to bring more eyes to the issue? IMO the WMF is to facilitate the proper functioning of the Wikipedia communities by helping with tech support among other things. They should not attempt to control projects or else we end up with issues like super protect. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 22:08, 14 May 2015 (UTC)

GL[edit]

i was interested in what you said at Wikimedia Foundation elections/Board elections/2015/Candidates "shrinking editor numbers especially on En Wikipedia" and was wondering whether we might put more of an emphasis on volunteering and contribution.

for instance outputs from the following: https://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools/pcount/ only "counts edits". Perhaps stuff like this could be made more CV/resume/record of achievement friendly. Perhaps we can externalise our recognition systems and go beyond barnstars. (I only really look at my en talk page). GregKaye (talk) 06:18, 22 May 2015 (UTC)

Yes I agree quantifying editor contributions so that people are able to more easily use their volunteer work on their CV would be positive.
User:Ocaasi suggested some metrics here [6] which we could add. Andrew West recently calculated medical contributions by number of edits, bytes added, bytes removed, and the sum of both for both English and all languages]
Another project I hope will increase academic participation is the launch of an open access journal on Wikiversity. [7] We are working to get this pubmed indexed. If successful spinning it off as a stand alone sister project and expanding its scope from Medicine to everything could also be positive moves :-)
I would also love us to make it more clear to our readers who writes Wikipedia. Under preferences you can turn on a more promient link to contributors [8] But this still needs a lot of work. It is in alpha testing at best. Here is what it gives for gout [9]
Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 06:39, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
Your last comment especially got me thinking. One development that I think might be beneficial could be an expansion/extension of the "View history" tab on Wikipedia pages. On the expansion interpretation perhaps this could be converted into a "Contributions" drop down menu with "View history" being, perhaps, a later item and, perhaps, being renamed, perhaps, to "Edit history". The only other item that I'm currently thinking might be added would be a link to a relevant search via a tool such as : https://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools-articleinfo/ . This is currently called "page history" but perhaps this could be renamed to something like "Contributor history" or just "Contributors". An example of "page history" with a extensive content relates to child pornography which is just chosen for the sake of example. Such pages have seven titles and I would change the first from "General statistics" to something like "Contribution summary" and the fourth title from "Top editors" to "Contributors".
Maybe I am reading this wrong but I think that there may be a potential problem if editors just try to edit articles to increase their edit counts.
It might also be good if Wikipedia could merge consecutive edits by the same editor in cases where an edit does not have an edit summary or that other strategies are developed to produce a similar effect.
GregKaye (talk) 06:34, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Yes excellent ideas. "Edit history" is a much better name than "View history". I wondering if there would be consensus for this minor change?
With respect to people gaming the system, I don't think it would be too big of a issue. We already have pages like Wikipedia:List of Wikipedians by number of edits Motivating people to be more active / make more edits is not a bad thing. Writing a good article takes me 300 to 500 edits.
This was a concern that was raised. We may need to figure out a way to determine if making a link to contributors more prominent has any negative effects / positive effects. We could study it on medical articles. The medical editors were very supportive of the idea. But we need better functionality of labs. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 11:40, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Dear doc, I think that the nature of your profession has inadvertently caused me to think of editor situations according to perspectives or the potentially parallel issues of health. Doubtless you may be able to take this analogy farther that I can but I would see the issues being encouragement/inputs (in line with ideas mentioned so far), formats and direction for growth, avoidance of injury, discouragements for the transmission of negative behaviours and effective intervention in dealing with pathologies.
On this last point I thought you might be interested a thread content at #Wikipedia talk:Administrators' noticeboard#Incident resolution. An issue that has long frustrated me is the often purely judgemental approach taken at ANI with little or no attention to approaches that might otherwise be advocated at WP:MENTOR and the now seemingly inactive WP:WikiProject User Rehab. GregKaye (talk) 08:11, 30 May 2015 (UTC)
Yes agree we need to encourage positive editing. Dispute resolution is difficult. Often things end up at ANI as discussion has been extensive and failed. To end problems admins often implement harsh measures and often on all parties. When editors become to focused on a single issue often other solutions are ineffective. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 11:12, 30 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections 2015[edit]

Dear candidate. My general opinion about administration of Wikimedia is negative. Many texts and images had been removed with pretext of protection of rights of the owners of the copyright owners. The special permissions by the copyright owners were just ignored, and removed together with the files. In particular, this refers to images of the Soviet dissidents and their texts.

Below I suggest only few examples in order to let you know what is happening: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sofiya_Kalistratova&oldid=649939072 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Софья_Васильевна_Каллистратова&oldid=93595 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Леонард_Борисович_Терновский&type=revision&diff=1312548&oldid=585736

I investigated the case and I revealed that many removals were performed by bureaucrat Lozman, who has absolutely no experience with obtaining permission from the copyright owners and does not even remember, who made him bureaucrat. However, this is only example.

Sorry for being late, but I just received the invitation to vote. You still have two days to change my opinion about at least one of the candidates suggested. One example of complain by the author is available at site TORI, http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/t/index.php/Kouznetsov,_permission I mention it because it has English version, although many Russian authors were offended in the similar way.

Now I formulate the question:

Do you think it is still possible to handle the cases mentioned?

Do you think that you can find time to deal with the cases mentioned?

Sincerely, Domitori (talk) 08:01, 28 May 2015 (UTC)

User:Domitori Looking at the first link you post. [10]
I see a page with 7 dead images.
This one says it was deleted because it was already on commons [11]
It was tagged as copright using [12]
It was deleted here on Apr 2, 2015 [13] because it states there was insufficient permission. Deletion was by Rubin16
So who owns this image?
I am assuming it is the ones here [14] Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 10:09, 28 May 2015 (UTC)

Congratulations[edit]

Hi James -- as you're aware, I endorsed your candidacy, so I am especially pleased to see you join the Board of Trustees. Well done -- and best of luck in moving the organization and the movement toward a brighter future! -Pete F (talk) 02:53, 6 June 2015 (UTC)

  • Dear Dr. James - Congratulations on your success.. You are a new hope.. Hope the foundation and the movement will be strengthened with your endeavors. Ahmed Nisar (talk) 06:47, 6 June 2015 (UTC)
  • Dear James, I congratulate you for your success in this election and I am extremely sure that you can better the situation of Medicine within WMF wikis soon and give more trustworthiness to WMF output. --Csisc (talk) 09:33, 6 June 2015 (UTC)
Thanks all. Changes while come slowly but hope that I can make some small differences. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 14:21, 6 June 2015 (UTC)

Your request[edit]

Hi, I've moved your request for adminship here, if that was wrong and you want permanent adminiship, please fix the title of that page and move it to correct section at Meta:Requests for adminship. Matiia (talk) 02:43, 23 July 2015 (UTC)

Thanks User:Matiia. Moved to regular Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 03:40, 23 July 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:23, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:08, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Surprising edit[edit]

In this edit you removed a section that I had written. I presume that was a mistake? Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 06:19, 23 September 2015 (UTC)

User:Rogol Domedonfors yes very much a mistake. Apologies. Best Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 16:19, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for that. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 21:16, 23 September 2015 (UTC)

Movement Wide Finance Report 2014[edit]

Dear Doc James,

I’m Alex, currently a finance fellow (i.e intern) at the Wikimedia Foundation. I worked before for Wikimedia France, planning the Hackathon Lyon 2015 mainly. I'm today contacting you because of your activity for Wikimedia Project Med User Group.

Last year, Finance Fellows produced a financial report that included financial activity from every chapters. It was great and has been presented at the Wikimania in Mexico.

If you haven’t seen the results of the Report 2013, here they are: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter-wide_Financial_Trends_Report_2013

We’re currently starting the Report 2014 and this year we also want to include user groups to improve the scope of our work. I want to tell you that I’ve tried to make the process as short and easy as possible, so that shouldn’t require a lot of your time.

The aim of such a report is global. It helps having an idea of how the money is used across the movement, it helps chapters and user groups to learn about best practice and finally it leads to more transparency through a qualitative work, which I believe is important.

Could you briefly tell me if you had any income and expenses in 2014? If you are not the person responsible for this, please tell me who is the user the most likely to know this information.

I’ll be your contact for this project this year, I’m looking forward to working with you!

Cheers, ACella (WMF) (talk) 23:31, 6 October 2015 (UTC)

Sure User:ACella (WMF)
$0 dollars raised
$0 dollars spent through the association
Lots of stuff done but all of it self founded or donated.
Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 09:49, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
Hello Doc James,
Thank you very much for your fast answer and your contribution, it's very appreciated! I've got everything I need for the report now. Good luck with the Project Med, you're doing an amazing work! ACella (WMF) (talk) 22:10, 7 October 2015 (UTC)

Introducing the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list[edit]

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is pleased to introduce the launch of the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list, which is basically a place for all the affiliates (chapters, thematic organizations, user groups) to discuss issues related to affiliates, make announcements to other affiliates, and collaborate on activities and community-wide events. The idea is to help facilitate the dialogue affiliates across our movement, plus collaborative discussions like community-wide activities, joint edit-a-thons, regional conferences, blog/report posts, or other communications from affiliates.

Each Wikimedia movement affiliate is allocated three spots on the mailing list. All affiliates may contact the Affiliations Committee to request additional spots if needed.

Please find a bit more information on Meta-Wiki and do not hesitate to contact the Affiliations Committee if you have further questions.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 07:51, 27 October 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:34, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

2015 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members. The key skills and experience that we look for in candidates are:

  • Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers worldwide.
  • Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
  • Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions.
  • Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly ~2 hour voice/video meeting.
  • International orientation.
  • Very good communication skills in English.
  • Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
  • Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF.
  • Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organising are a plus.
  • Effective communication skills in other languages are a major plus.
  • Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
  • Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are not afraid of the workload and are motivated by helping other volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2015 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta (at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/2015), and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, WMF staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2016, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please send an application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2015. You will get a confirmation that your application was received.

Your application should include the following:

  • Your full name
  • Your contact information (including e-mail address and username)
  • A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.

Your statement will be published for community review and feedback, so please do not include any information that you are not comfortable sharing.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Carlos Colina
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 16:52, 9 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:56, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshop[edit]

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

WPCube.png

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:56, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Plagiarism detection[edit]

Hi! You voted for improving plagiarism detection as an important suggestions in the community wishlist survey last year. I'm pinging people who showed interest in that task to tell them we have some suggestions for how things could look, if you'd like to glance at them and give us some feedback. They're available here: phab:T120435#2266283. It's easiest if comments are left in Phabricator, since that's where much of the development is happening, but they can be left on Meta too, of course.

(I know you're probably aware of this, but I'm leaving this message on the talk page of everyone who voted, and didn't want to leave you out.) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:17, 13 May 2016 (UTC)

Thanks Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 18:39, 13 May 2016 (UTC)
(And again, below.) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 00:52, 21 May 2016 (UTC)

Cross-wiki watchlist[edit]

Hi! You voted for the cross-wiki watchlist as an important suggestions in the community wishlist survey last year. I'm pinging editors who showed interest in that task to tell them we have some suggestions for how things could look, if you'd like to glance at them and give us some feedback. You can find them on the project page on Meta. If you'd like to share any comments, you're very welcome to do so on the talk page. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 00:52, 21 May 2016 (UTC)

User:Johan (WMF) cross wiki notification has been great. Looking forwards to cross wiki watchlists. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 00:55, 21 May 2016 (UTC)

Survey on content curation & review Inspire Campaign[edit]

WPCube.png

Thanks for your participation in IdeaLab during the Inspire Campaign focused on improving content curation & review processes from February to March 2016. I'm interested in hearing your feedback about your participation during campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Immediate results of the campaign can be found here. Please feel free to review them and let me know if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 02:31, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Apologies[edit]

I appreciate you all Admins towards improving Wikipedia, I am really sorry but I did not knew about this copyright rule, I thought this was apply to only images, Please forgive me, I will try my best that this problem does not comes again. Please Apologies me, Just give me one more chance, I am really Sorry, I am sorry but as an editor I will try my best to improve myself however I do not know all the wikipedia rules but I am learning them as more edits I am doing.
kindest Regards;
Pakelectrical (talk), 30 May 2016 (UTC)

No worries. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 23:17, 30 May 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)