Grants:IEG/Tools for Armenian Wikisource and beyond/Timeline
Timeline for Tools for Armenian Wikisource and beyond
|User side only tools (AutoHinter, SectionHarvester and SectionMarker) in Beta||15 October 2016|
|Midpoint report||31 October 2016|
|User and server side tools in Beta (ZoomProof, Illustration Cropper, LST Guard)||20 November 2016|
|User side only tools stable and documented||30 November 2016|
|User and server side tools stable and documented||31 December 2016|
|Extended goal: ZoomProof and AutoHinter compatible with VisualEditor||10 February 2017|
Please prepare a brief project update each month, in a format of your choice, to share progress and learnings with the community along the way. Submit the link below as you complete each update.
Month 1 (rename this to your start month, for example: January)
Month 2 (rename this and each of the following too)
New end date
February 10, 2017
I would like to request project extension, as series of family/administrative/technical issues dragged project down to a freezing point and we weren't able to complete project in initially planned period.
Shortly after beginning of project I've into family issues. This not only kicked us out from personal schedules, but made us miss important and narrow time window, when students were finishing their exams, and looking for internships/summer schools and were easily reachable in university.
So in June-August things were much slower than planned. Main accomplishments in this period, was developing a final vision of software architecture/technology stack, and algorithms. We restarted things in September, but ran into some blocking tech. issues on Wikisource. This not only broke existing tools, but was breaking critical features such as Page preview for existing users. We were able to debug and send a patch to fit it. Fix was released in first days of December.
Also in fall, university which facilities we planned to use for meetings with students, initial IRL coordination and coding sessions, had unexpected renovation work, which made both finding any free rooms and even students themselves, extremely difficult. 2 above mentioned issues, made us loose momentum and prevented from actively involving students into project.
After winter exam in February-March 2015, we made some more progress, and source code can be found on GitHub. But we didn't achieve necessary span and were dragged by main job/research/studies by April. In the end of May I've started moving things again, but ran into another series of family issues by mid June, which brought project to a complete halt.
Taken, idea was well received by community and we're 25-30% done, we'd really like to give this project one more try, restart things by end of September and try to complete it, before giving up. Updated timeline can be found on this page above.
New end date
June 1, 2017
Life introduced me and my team members with quite some lemons after the beginning of the project, so things didn't went in initially planned pace. Now almost 3 years after porjects started, everyone in initial team has other top priorities, and involving new team members didn't work out too. So I believe the best thing for now, will be to finalize all the tools which are close to completion stage (3-4 tools) and wrap up project as partially complete.
Extension request approved
This extension request is approved. Your new project end date is June 1, 2017. As discussed, please aim to submit your Final Report on June 1, 2017. Thank you! Marti (WMF) (talk) 18:25, 11 May 2017 (UTC)
New end date
July 31, 2017
20 days ago, I decided to wrap up things as they are. In that time, while wrapping things, I've realized we did more than I thought, and most of tools are just few steps ready, to be usable on Armenian Wikisource as well on other Wikisources (at least Latin, Cyrillic and Greek based Wikisources). Most of the time requested now, will take for tests on other Wikisources, writing down documentation, screenshots, drawing icons, localization and thing like that. So far the only 2 tools which completion is under question are IllustrationCropper (which would be better implemented as enhancement of already available CropTool) and SectionGuard where initial fully automatic, concept seems to be to intrusive now, and semi-autmoatic solution, will take much longer to develop.
New end date
August 20, 2017
We're pretty close to wrapping things around, but after testing we need to make some architectural changes to 3 tools, and polish things out. That's why I request yet another project extension. --Xelgen (talk) 19:08, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- Noting here that the new final report due date is now September 19, 2017. Best, -- JTud (WMF), Grants Administrator (talk) 16:12, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
New end date
October 1, 2017
Few more weeks into projects, and we discovered few rare but still possible workflow scenarios, that we didn't account for while developing tools + few other features which seems to be 5 min tasks, turned into more complicated things to solve. That's why we have to ask for yet another project extension. -Xelgen (talk) 19:08, 16 August 2017 (UTC)