Grants:IdeaLab/De-escalation Training for Bystanders
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Most bystanders and participants in conflict do not yet have sufficient emotional and conflict management skills to meaningfully support the aggrieved parties and de-escalate dramatic interactions.
What is your solution?
Help as many Wikipedians as possible, worldwide, learn how to assess situations and be able to meaningfully intervene when they detect conflict, online or in the real world. Develop, test and share training materials that help all parties reduce the incidence and intensity of alienation, angry conflicts and harassment behaviors.
- collaborate within the wiki communities to research, design, test and share best practices for learning how to assess situations and how to meaningfully intervene to help reduce the incidence and severity of conflicts, harassment and other alienating behaviors.
- make training and materials available broadly, with train-the-trainer formats and online materials and learning activities.
- increase the number of Wikipedians who feel capable of assessing situations and being able to meaningfully intervene.
- reduce the frequency and severity of antisocial behaviors, angry conflicts and unkind/alienating behaviors.
About the idea creator
As part of the applied psychology community, and a long time student of emotional intelligence and crisis management training methods, I am confident that we can develop and share research-based training materials which can help community members take a more active role in reducing the incidence and intensity of angry conflicts and harassment online.
- Sounds good. I've seen a couple proposals about deescalation training for admins, but I'd gladly put the time in for this. Darkfrog24 (talk) 00:34, 24 June 2016 (UTC)
- I like the idea of this. It'd make double sense for admins, but I think that this could be helpful for people overall, since it's not only admins that get pulled into these situations. Tokyogirl79 (talk) 05:46, 25 June 2016 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.