User talk:FloNight

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Post a new comment to me here!!!

archive 1

Steward requests/Checkuser[edit]

11 May 2011 and 25 May 2011

Please recheck User:Brox/Brox and Tik-Kon in WP LT. --Brox 07:59, 10 August 2011 (UTC)

Brox, I'm on the Ombudsman Commission now so I'm not using the checkuser tool except to investigate violations of the checkuser policy. You have contacted several other people so hopefully one of them can answer your concern or refer you to someone who can help. FloNight 21:30, 10 August 2011 (UTC)

request for help[edit]

hi.i sent a email for Ombudsman commission a few days ago. my username is : miladkhoshtip98 . how long it take the Ombudsman commission consider my request?

thank you-- 09:19, 20 September 2011 (UTC)

Hi, we got your email. We are discussing it, and you should get an official reply back within the next few days, I think. FloNight 09:31, 20 September 2011 (UTC)

OK. thanks. i will wait for reply.-- 12:15, 20 September 2011 (UTC)

did you receive my new email? may i have your personal email address? thanks--Miladkhoshtip98 08:57, 29 September 2011 (UTC)


[1] There has been some talk about how a certain someone isn't as horribly abusive and untrustworthy as he actually is. I find the dissembling rather troubling. Ottava Rima (talk) 03:30, 7 November 2011 (UTC)

Rotten in denmark, but I love denmark[edit]

I posted a small monologue elsewhere, but I wanted to drop you a line, because even though you don't know me, I of course know you, and I remember you from an earlier era of en wikipedia when we were mostly concerned with building the encyclopedia and so we mostly got along.

I'm taking the time to tell you-- I don't enjoy editing English Wikipedia anymore. I don't like the culture anymore. I don't like the constant fights, I don't like the incivility, I don't like the edit wars.

Most of all, I don't like being told "Because I Said So". I can't work for a boss that tells me "Because I said so", and I definitely can't bring myself to volunteer to work for one for free.

In the past year, or perhaps longer, Wikipedia has become more like Myspace. A common vision of working together is getting replaced by incivility and endless disputes.

Recently, this came into focus for me. I encountered a small group of EN users who have 'declared war' on fair-use images appear to be trying to delete as many of them as possible-- refusing to provide newbies with feedback on how to even use the upload process responsibly. Some, at least, openly admit they're not trying to improve the articles-- they seem driven by "video game dynamics", trying to rack up a score of who can keep the most fair-use images deleted.

At first I couldn't believe it was true, but as I go through the talk history, I see dozens upon dozens of cases of fair use being met with rudeness, incivility, apparently even intentional obfuscation. The people who have complained number not in the single digits but at least in the dozens, possibly more.

If you want to try to put a stop to it, you can find who they are easily enough. Instead, they have stopped me-- I don't want to edit anymore, I don't want to donate anymore, and after the way I was addressed by the radical-copyright-clique, I don't particularly want to be civil to them anymore either.

I spent six years uploading imagines and writing articles, and I left you all to protect it. I see kids pissing on everything we've done, I see them insulting newbies and oldies alike, and I see it happening no just to me, but to person after person after person.

You don't need to stop it on my account. I want Wikipedia to be The Gutenberg Bible-- right now, if my perceptions are representative, ENWikipedia is on track to being "That place that used to be cool and inspiring but now is so troll-filled that it's utterly dysfunctional". 'Myspace Syndrome'-- Wikipedia has a great lead, but nobody I know really enjoys writing for it anymore-- some write through the frustration, others just don't write at all anymore.

I'm telling people not to donate-- not because I don't want WMF to donate, but because the cultural situation is sufficiently bad that it's just throwing good money after bad to keep funding something that doesn't keep improving, and on the contrary, seems to be getting worse with time.

My two cents-- take it as the insight of an old wikisoul or dismiss it as the ramblings of a blocked troll. I suspect you'll recognize the difference.

Good luck in the year ahead. I justed wanted to write you to alert you that yes, ENWiki definitely has a problem so severe and utterly frustrating that it makes WP not worth editing, and that makes WMF not worth donating to, and THAT makes me very very sad.

Merry Christmas, wishing you sincere luck this donation season and in the year to come. Please try to find time to look into the problems surrounding incivil, rude, speed deletions of fair-use media on minor technicalities that could be remedied with simple explanation or assumption of good faith-- a group of people have not only turned vandalism into a video game-- they're winning, and our projects are losing. --Randomcommenter 08:12, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

Response to your comments[edit]

About WWC are here! SarahStierch (talk) 21:14, 13 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for comment on fellowship proposal[edit]

I added a reply to your comments and suggestions. Sorry for the delay, I was out on vacation for a bit. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts/suggestions. Anya (talk) 13:18, 23 August 2012 (UTC)

Let's get the blogging party started![edit]

We Can Edit.jpg

Hi FloNight! Thank you for signing up to be a founding volunteer of the WikiWomen's Collaborative. I've started to draft ideas for blogs on meta, here! Feel free to chime in, and let's get this blogging party started! :) SarahStierch (talk) 00:06, 12 September 2012 (UTC)


Can you advise how someone applies to join the FDC?

This page explains the process. Membership FDC. The time for self nomination for this year has already closed. The next opportunity will be in 2013 when 2 seats are filled.
"In 2013, in conjunction with the election for community-elected Board of Trustee seats, two FDC seats (the two seats not filled initially) will be filled via community election, bringing the total number of voting members of the FDC to nine. If there is attrition among the founding FDC prior to the 2013 elections, up to three of these seats would be filled by community-elected members of the FDC, to bring the total number of community-elected seats to five."
I hope that answers your question. (Sydney Poore) FloNight (talk) 22:36, 12 September 2012 (UTC)

I wanted to give you a Barnstar![edit]

FDC special barnstar

This is to recognize your hard work on the first round of the FDC! Thanks!

Jan-Bart (talk) 19:20, 15 November 2012 (UTC)

Thank you. I was thrilled to see the FDC get off the ground and meet the deadline. Loads of credit should go to the FDC Advisory Group for setting up a process that worked! FloNight (talk) 00:57, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
Indeed. The advisory group did a great job. But you accepted the challenge and did an amazing job, in such little time. Thanks for that! Patricio.lorente (talk) 01:31, 16 November 2012 (UTC)


Hi Sydney! I hope your New Years is going great. I hope you've had a chance to see the "newly renovated" WikiWomen's Collaborative! We've made the space easier to move around and find resources, events, and ways to get involved. As a founding member of the project I'd love to have you still involved! We've got all types of roles, such as blog writers and blog coordinators. I also understand you are very busy! I hope the project can flourish after my fellowship ends this month, as I'll step back to volunteering and it'll be up to volunteers like us to keep it fresh and focused on engaging women! I'll be reporting about the project on the 24th, and I can't wait to share the details with you (women are editing more!). I've babbled enough..but, I hope you'll stop by and check it out :) Also, I encourage you to make a profile for our page - you can now introduce yourself! Alright, talk to you later :) SarahStierch (talk) 23:35, 17 January 2013 (UTC)

Wiki Project Med Foundation[edit]

Thank you for your interest in Wiki Project Med. We have created a non profit corporation in the state of New York to promote the aims of the Wikimedia Movement within the topic domain of medicine. This means we are and continue to promote the creation and release of "health care information in all languages" under an open license. This is being done primarily via speaking and collaborating with both individuals and organizations who share our goal. We are working on a number of collaborations already and are open to more ideas. We hope to be active globally and thus welcome all people who share these goals to join us. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 15:36, 21 November 2012 (UTC)


Hi FloNight. Note that I gave your local CU rights back on enWP per request of Mdennis (WMF). Regards, Trijnsteltalk 19:06, 4 February 2013 (UTC)

Thank you for letting me know. (Sydney Poore) FloNight (talk) 21:25, 4 February 2013 (UTC)

March Grants News[edit]

IEG key blue.png

Grants News

Eight projects have been awarded grants in this pilot round of the Individual Engagement Grants program. You can read more about them in our blog post. Many thanks to everyone who participated in this round! We look forward to seeing even more of your ideas and input in preparation for round 2, which begins on August 1st.

Grants News is brought to you by the Wikimedia Grantmaking Team. You can change your subscription to this update on the list.

The Stethoscope: A Wiki Project Med Foundation Review (Issue 1)[edit]

Wiki Project Med Foundation

Wiki Project Med Foundation (WPMEDF) was formally incorporated in New York as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our mission is bold like Wikipedia's: Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to the sum of all medical knowledge." That's what we're doing.

In this newsletter:

Wiki Project Med Logo.png
  • Designing our logos and name: How and why we made them
  • Creating Our Board: Who's involved and what they're doing
  • Adding 70+ Interested members: Participants from all over the globe
  • Furthering ongoing projects: Expanding exciting in many directions at once
  • Proposing Wikimania presentations: Sign up for the talks that interest you
  • Taking on on social media: Up and running with outreach (plus business cards!)
  • Charting pathways for how you can help right now: a great list easy and important areas to contribute

Read the Full Newsletter

We aim to run The Stethoscope at least once per quarter and no more than once per month. We only send to people who already signed on as WikiProject Med or Wiki Project Medicine Foundation interested members/participants. If you do not want to receive the newsletter, please add your name here.

It's been a pleasure so far, and we have so much more to do. Wishing you happy Spring up North and pleasant Autumn down South.

--Jake and the rest of the Wiki Project Med Foundation Team, Ocaasi (talk) 20:01, 8 May 2013 (UTC)

Learning Pattern help[edit]

Hi! If you have some time, I would love your help in editing a learning pattern that I just created, which I know is near and dear to your own heart: Learning patterns/Fostering Affinity Groups. I thought you would probably have better ways of articulating the issue, and if you have any other links to point it to (I do reference your idea in the IdeaLab!), that would be great! :D Jwild (talk) 18:24, 14 November 2013 (UTC)

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics[edit]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

Hello, FloNight! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

Barnstar and a request for feedback[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png Individual Engagement Grant Barnstar
Thank you for commenting on Individual Engagement Grant proposals during this recent round! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts.

To help us improve the IEG program for future participants, would you mind taking this quick 3-question survey?

Thanks again for your help,

--Siko and Haitham, Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking

Superprotect status[edit]

Dear FloNight, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.

Peteforsyth 09:14, 12 September 2014 (UTC)

Hello FloNight[edit]

Sorry sorry sorry!!! I'm so sorry but I missed your message on my Meta's user page (May, 27th 2014).

2014 was (it's!) a particularly challenging (and heavy) year for me.

Feel free to contact me on it.wp or email (but now I'll check my Meta's user page more often ;-) ). FranciaioI'm listening you 09:22, 18 December 2014 (UTC)

FYI, mentioned you at Checkuser investigation request[edit]

Mentioned you at Steward_requests/Checkuser#Jimmy11234.40en.wikiquote with regards to possible sleeper sock accounts related to Request for Adminship by Kalki at en.wikiquote.

See also:

  1. Chronology summary at: q:User:Cirt/Kalki Restrictions
  2. Request for Adminship at: q:Wikiquote:Requests for adminship/Kalki (4th request)

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

-- Cirt (talk) 06:31, 24 January 2015 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign Funding Committee[edit]

Hi FloNight. Thanks so much for signing up to participate on the Inspire Campaign Funding Committee! We really appreciate your support and willingness to share your time and expertise. We'd love to get your feedback this week on the funding page we've created for the campaign. Please post any questions/comments on the discussion page. If you can no longer serve on the committee or would like to contact me directly, please email at awang AT wikimedia DOT org. Thanks again! Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 20:23, 16 February 2015 (UTC)

I removed my name[edit]

I have removed my name from all the Inspire projects. I think a lot of them have potential, are good ideas and offer a good opportunity to make things better for the projects. Unfortunately, there is a clear bias to finding sexism whether it exists or not so I have no desire to participate in them. If they are going to be treated as though oppose votes and negative comments don't matter, which are important to project success BTW, I have no desire to be a part of them. You will find plenty of yes men and women out there who will be glad to slap their name on them and add them to their Wiki resume's but I am not one of them. I don't like being bullied into supporting bad projects so I won't participate in any of them. Reguyla (talk) 23:59, 5 March 2015 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.

Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Community discussion on harassment reporting[edit]

There are many current proposals as part of the 2015 Inspire Campaign related to harassment management. I’ve created a page, Grants:IdeaLab/Community discussion on harassment reporting meant to serve as a central space where the various stakeholders in these proposals and other community members can discuss which methods might serve our community best so that we can unify our ideas into collective action. I encourage you to join the conversation and contribute your ideas!OR drohowa (talk) 02:09, 22 April 2015 (UTC)

Thank you![edit]

Thank you for your message about my idea "Women are everywhere". I've seen it too late, just few days ago. I hope there will be other opportunities. Sincerely, --Kenzia (talk) 18:23, 16 June 2015 (UTC)

Thank you for answering, it is very kind of you. That's a very good news indeed. Let me think about it. There are problems: I'm quite new in wikipedia, and not very expert in using it; I'm afraid my english is not good enough, my mother tongue is italian; I have not relations with other people who are already editors in Wikipedia. I've seen that there is a volunteer for my project, but maybe that is not enough. I can say that till now I've already tried to have a gender standpoint in my contributions to the italian wikipedia. There is a lot to do. I'll think about it. Many thanks --Kenzia (talk) 19:35, 16 June 2015 (UTC)

"Rome wasn't built in a day"[edit]

Hello FloNight,

for sure I'm interested in expanding the idea "Women are everywhere" and bringing it to the Individual Engagement Grants Project. I'm aware of the difficulties, but if you can help me, it worth a try. I think that the gender gap, in Wikipedia and elsewhere, is a real, unacceptable injustice, and we have to do what we can for improving things. It's a big task, it needs all the possible contributions, no matter how small they are. It takes time too, but we all know that "Rome wasn't built in a day". Sincerely, --Kenzia (talk) 09:52, 18 June 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:23, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:08, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information by 31 December[edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

Wmf logo vert pms.svg

As you may know, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new "Access to nonpublic information policy" on 25 April 2014 after a community consultation. The former policy has remained in place until the new policy could be implemented. That implementation work is now being done, and we are beginning the transition to the new policy.

An important part of that transition is helping volunteers like you sign the required confidentiality agreement. All Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information are required to sign this new agreement, and we have prepared some documentation to help you do so.

The Wikimedia Foundation is requiring that OTRS volunteers sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain their access. You are receiving this email because you have been identified as an OTRS volunteer and are required to sign the confidentiality agreement under the new policy. If you do not sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015, you will lose your OTRS access. OTRS volunteers have a specific agreement available, if you have recently signed the general confidentiality agreement for another role (such as CheckUser or Oversight), you do not need to sign the general agreement again, but you will still need to sign the OTRS agreement.

Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator. We have prepared a guide on Meta-Wiki to help you create your Phabricator account and sign the new agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign

If you have any questions or experience any problems while signing the new agreement, please visit this talk page or email me (gvarnum(_AT_) Again, please sign this confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain your OTRS access. If you do not wish to retain this access, please let me know and we will forward your request to the appropriate individuals.

Thank you,
Gregory Varnum (User:GVarnum-WMF), Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 21:20, 28 September 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:34, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:56, 26 January 2016 (UTC)


Hola, saludos, quería confirmar que deseas colaborar con wikimujeres. mándame un email con tu teléfono y te añadimos al telegram del grupo para coordinarnos. Un abrazo! Gracias por tu paciencia ;-) Mboix (talk) 17:52, 10 February 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshop[edit]

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]


I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Donne, donne[edit]

Hi FloNight, do you remember me? Almost one year ago, you gave me your encouragemet to expand the idea "Women are everywhere". Now, there is a draft for an Individual Engagement Grants Project that you can find in my contributions. If you could help me to make it better, it would be wonderful. Many thanks, --Kenzia (talk) 13:40, 1 April 2016 (UTC)

Thank you so much for your ideas. Following your advise, I have already integrated a special focus on the orphan articles. I wait for your other suggestions. Sincerely--Kenzia (talk) 19:43, 1 April 2016 (UTC)

Your suggestion about Women in red is very precious, thank you very much. If you have other suggestions, in particular about how inviting communities affected by my project to provide feedback on my proposal talkpage, it would be great. I've already started writing messages, but your experience would be very helpful. Grazie mille--Kenzia (talk) 08:24, 2 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi FloNight, I was very sorry yesterday that I couldn't participate to the google hangout. I had some technical problems. It would be important for me to have your feedback about my project. Thank you, --Kenzia (talk) 19:59, 6 April 2016 (UTC)

Thank you for participating in Learning Day, Wikimedia Conference 2016[edit]

Engineering; large cogs meshing together, and diagrams of ep Wellcome V0024643.jpg
Certificate of participation in
Learning Day
Wikimedia Conference 2016
FloNight, we hope the resources you took on this day help you to expand your projects and coach other peers in your local community!
Make sure to keep the learning wheel rolling: (1) share something you learn via a Learning Pattern; (2) share any new resources you create on our portal and social media.
Warmly, the Learning Day team. María (WMF) (talk) 21:22, 26 May 2016 (UTC)

Thank you for engaging at Wikimedia Conference 2016 Learning Days![edit]

OOjs UI icon ribbonPrize.svg Partnership icon-01.svg This Certificate of Appreciation awards FloNight for helping to lead a session in
at Learning Days - Wikimedia Conference 2016
FloNight, we hope this experience has empowered you to continue sharing what you know about Partnerships in your local community... and beyond! We hope to partner with you again soon in other Wikimedia movement conferences, and continue to foster together peer-to-peer learning. Warmly, the Learning Days team. María (WMF) (talk) 00:23, 27 May 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Concerns about WikiConference[edit]

I left some concerns regarding the WikiConference on the grant talk page.--The Devil's Advocate (talk) 03:27, 24 August 2016 (UTC)

Survey on Inspire Campaign for addressing harassment[edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on addressing harassment from June 2016. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:24, 10 September 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Whose Knowledge? user group update[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Hi Sydney! Thanks for joining the Whose Knowledge user group - we’re so glad to have you involved!

Here are some updates about recent activities:

  • User group approved: Our user group was officially approved in October - hooray! Big thanks to Raystorm and FloNight for the idea to create a user group for the Whose Knowledge? campaign :)
  • Mapping feminist knowledge at AWID's 2016 Forum: Interested in learning more about what we’ve been doing lately? Read our blog post on what we learned from mapping feminist knowledge at Association for Women's Rights in Development's 2016 Forum.
  • New grant proposal:
    • We’ve proposed a WMF project grant. It would be great to have your feedback and/or endorsement by November 1 if this project interests you!
    • It would also be great to have your help notifying communities already working on systemic bias about this proposal. Here is a draft message - please translate, change as you see fit for your own context, and share in any communities you’re active in on and off-wiki!

Looking forward to doing more together very soon! Siko (talk) 01:12, 18 October 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to Training Modules design conversation[edit]

Hello! We are leaving you this message because you have previously indicated that you interested in helping the Wikimedia Foundation Support & Safety team in developing our training modules this year.

We appreciate all the help and thoughts users like you have offered thus far. We would like to encourage you, if you are interested, to participate in the next step of our development: a community consultation about the design and structure of the modules. Note that we're not yet gathering feedback on the content of the modules - a separate consultation about that will be starting soon.

In this "design" consultation, we're looking for advice on things like the best place to host these modules, the accessibility of content, and other potential design decisions. Please feel free to leave any thoughts you have about these things on the talk page. Thanks! Kbrown (WMF) (talk) 18:08, 8 November 2016 (UTC)

Organizing the editing contest "The Woman you never meet" together![edit]

Dear FloNight!

I have seen your name added in the Iberocoop proposal for the editing contest "The woman you never meet". We are so happy to have you on board! In this sense, and as you have a huge expertise regarding gender and Wikipedia, we would like to work more closely with you :). For Iberocoop and after two years of implementing this contest, has been very important not just the quantity but the quality of the articles edited. In this sense we stablished 6 general indicators to include the gender perspective while editing an article in Wikipedia. This rule has worked for the Spanish Wikipedia in the last two years. However and as we have been point out by several en Wikipedia editors, it might not work for the english wikipedia. That is one of the reason why I am reaching to you. You have a lot of expertise in the English Wikipedia and would be so interesting if we can work together to set a group of 5-6 indicators to make sure that the gender perspective is included during the contest beyond spanish editions.
Does it make sense to you?
Thanks in advance!
Hugs!--Anna Torres (WMAR) (talk) 15:32, 3 January 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? News - February 2017[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Thanks for all of your support for Whose Knowledge? so far! Get ready, we're going to need lots of your help in 2017 :)

What's new in 2017:

1. Volunteers needed

As Whose Knowledge? grows, there are lots of things to do! Can you help?

  • Are you good with data entry, categories, mailing lists or social media? We especially need people to help with organizing knowledge for Dalit History Month, and building out our communications (including this monthly newsletter!) right now!
  • If you're interested in volunteering for these or any other projects, please signup here

2. Pilot projects

Building partnerships and testing our approach with marginalized communities.

  • Dalit History Month: We're working with Equality Labs to support Dalit communities in South Asia and the United States to map knowledge and create Wikipedia content. Dalit History Month edit-a-thons are coming in April!
  • Women's Human Rights Defenders: In partnership with Urgent Action Fund, we'll be supporting a group of women's human rights defenders around the world with more mapping and wiki content creation. Themes and geographies coming soon!
  • Kumeyaay Wikipedia Initiative: Following the 2016 Indigenous People's Day edit-a-thon, we're continuing to work with members of the Kumeyaay tribe in Southern California and Baja to map and contribute indigenous knowledge to Wikimedia projects. A discussion day with Kumeyaay community in San Diego is being planned for May.

3. Funding:

We've got financial support for 2017!

  • WMF grant: 6-month funding (February-July 2017) was approved to pilot our approach to mapping knowledge and creating Wikipedia content with the Dalit community and global women's human rights defenders. Thanks for all your endorsements!
  • Shuttleworth Fellowship: Anasuya is a Shuttleworth Fellow! This means we'll be able to spend more time organizing, and have support for convenings, campaign infrastructure, etc.

4. Wikimedia Strategy

Find us at Wikimedia Conference.

  • Anasuya and Siko will be carrying the Whose Knowledge? vision of diversity, pluralism and representation of marginalized communities into movement strategy conversations in Berlin March 2017.
  • What's your vision for the Wikimedia movement? If you have a perspective that you'd like us to help represent in Berlin, please reach out and let us know!

In solidarity,

Siko (talk) 20:49, 7 February 2017 (UTC)

Grants:IdeaLab/In memoria and commemorations[edit]

Hello, I created the Idea Lab subpage: Grants:IdeaLab/In memoria and commemorations. Your profile says that you can resolve disputes. I invite you to join in. --George Ho (talk) 05:55, 21 February 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [April 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
April 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 2
Activities and Events:
Dalit History Month Events; Wikimania 2017 submissions
Resources lists
Wikimedia Movement:
Wikimedia Strategy: Knowledge is Global
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the Whose Knowledge? News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [July 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
July 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 3
Activities and Events:
Okvir pilot in Bosnia and Herzegovina; Wikimania 2017
Emancipatory Design Research
Wikimedia Movement:
Letter from Buenos Aires
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the '''Whose Knowledge?''' News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:18, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

New community space for IdeaLab on Connect[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi folks. If you're receiving this message, you've contributed to IdeaLab or an Inspire Campaign this year. Thanks for participating to develop ideas and review ones from other Wikimedians.

We are preparing some changes to IdeaLab and Inspire Campaigns. One of these changes is a new community space on Connect, where Wikimedians can find each other based on common activities or skills, and ask questions about the space. You are invited to join this community space for IdeaLab, especially if you would ever consider needing to find contributors with certain skills (like design or project management) or would like to offer your skills to others in our movement. To join, please proceed to Connect/IdeaLab and click on the "Add yourself" button on the right. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:53, 21 June 2018 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Inspire Campaign on Measuring Community Health[edit]

Red heart with heartbeat logo.svg

Do you have an idea about how to measure the health of your community? Do you want to review ideas that others have submitted? Through August 10th, we are inviting ideas on how to capture the well-being of Wikimedia communities, in terms of matters like conflict resolution, effective content creation, and being able to contribute in a collaborative environment. Ideas can be focused on either quantitative techniques, such as gathering raw data, or qualitative techniques, like surveying contributors. If you are submitting an idea, guidance is available for how to move your idea into implementation, such as through a grant or starting a Phabricator task to engage with developers.

If you're interested, consider joining the Inspire Campaign. I JethroBT (WMF) 17:13, 13 July 2018 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Sign-up for Whose Knowledge? on-line newsletter[edit]

Hi everybody,

We are leaving the wiki newsletter format behind and venturing into the email newsletter format. We'd love to keep sharing our projects and adventures with you all! You can sign up here to make that happen.

See you all there!

With love & solidarity,

Claudia - and the WK? Comms Team using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:45, 17 September 2018 (UTC)

Wiki Project Medicine Foundation Membership[edit]

Membership renewal

Dear Wiki Project Med Supporter, you are receiving this message as you have shown interest in supporting Wiki Project Med in the past. As our organization grows and evolves, we want to be able to verify peoples ongoing interest in being involved. To that end, the board has decided to require renew of membership every two years. So -- whether you are a current member or not, please fill out our updated membership form, to ensure your membership till the end of 2020. Please note -- We ask that you fill out the form by Feb 3rd, as we are close to elections and only members can nominate themselves for the board and vote!

Best, Shani & Doc James. 01:57, 28 January 2019 (UTC)

comment regarding userpage[edit]

When I click the Cochrane links, I am told there is no such page. Enigmaman (talk) 03:43, 11 June 2019 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 17:54, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:36, 17 March 2021 (UTC)

Invitation to participate in Universal Code of Conduct survey - WikiWomen's User Group[edit]

(You are receiving this message as you signed your interest to participate as part of the WikiWomen's User Group)

Hello, my name is Mervat Salman, a UCoC Facilitator, Trust and Safety team.

As you know, the WMF Board of Trustees ratified the Universal Code of Conduct early in February. That's the beginning; the policy itself cannot be used if the enforcement pathways are not defined. The implementation and enforcement of the UCoC requires the continuous cooperation to define clear definitions of enforcement pathways and processes. This needs to be done in a way that does not contradict with the internal bylaws and codes of conduct currently in place, but rather to support them and complement their deficiencies, if any.

In this phase of the process, we would like to invite you to share your ideas, thoughts and concerns about the UCoC implementation, reporting and enforcement pathways using this survey:

Notice: This survey will be conducted via a third-party service, which may subject it to additional terms. For more information on privacy and data-handling, see the survey privacy statement <>.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact

Best regards,

Mervat (WMF) 17:00, 9 April 2021 (UTC)

Sunday April 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Swanlings grow up together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, and March SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, WMF Resolution about the upcoming Board elections, Community Resilience and Sustainability role in Movement Strategy coordination, Grants Strategy Relaunch, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday April 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places may have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 04:14, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

Queering Wikipedia 2021 User Group Working Days: May 14-16[edit]

Quick logo for QW (cropped).jpg
Wikimedia LGBT+ logo.svg

The Wikimedia LGBTQ+ User Group is holding online working days in May. If you’re an active Wikimedian, editing on LGBTQ+ issues or if you identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community, come help us set goals, develop our organisation and structures, consider how to respond to issues faced by Queer editors, and plan for the next 12 months.

We will be meeting online for 3 half-days, 14–16 May at 1400–1730 UTC. While our working language is English, we are looking to accommodate users who would prefer to participate in other languages, including translation facilities.

More information, and registration details, at QW2021.--Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group 15:42, 24 April 2021 (UTC)

Sunday June 6 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Swan of healing.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, and April SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Movement Strategy/Events, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday June 6, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call an hour earlier in UTC time due to popular demand and to accomodate daylight savings*.)--Pharos (talk) 20:44, 3 June 2021 (UTC)