The Regional Cooperation Initiative for Ibero-America (Iberocoop for short) is aimed at linking together the local chapters and working groups looking to establish a chapter in the region, thus fostering collaboration and experience sharing. Ibero-America supposes a strategic area where the organization of the Wikimedia movement is still a big challenge. We believe that an initiative considering not only established chapters but also the existing informal working groups will enable us to overcome it.
Iberocoop was originally proposed by Wikimedia Argentina to other Ibero-American chapters and working groups present on the special chapters meeting that was held in Gdansk during Wikimania 2010. As a consequence of this a mailing list was set up were most of the chapters and working groups operating in the region, plus Wikimedia Italy, are already represented. If you are willing to participate, please refer to the How to join section below.
We encourage you to read here the official proposal on a Regional Cooperation Initiative for Ibero-America. It is important to say that Iberocoop is by no means a meta-chapter or any sort of binding structure but a cooperation framework aimed at taking advantage of the common linguistic and cultural features of our region.
The following chapters and working groups are currently represented in our mailing list:
Esperando por novedades
|BR||Grupo de usuários Wikimedia no Brasil||GU||-||pt||TBD||https://br.wikimedia.org/|
|CR||Wikimedistas de Costa Rica||GT / I||-||es||MadriCR|
- (*) C = capítulo / chapter; GU = grupo de usuarios / grupo de usuários / user group ; GT = grupo de trabajo / grupo de trabalho / working group; I = invitado / convidado / guest
How to join
The Iberocoop mailing list is currently hosted by Wikimedia Argentina. If you are part of a working group in Spain, Portugal or any Latin American country and want to get in touch in your language with other efforts in our region, please write to our mailing list presenting yourself and your group. You can alternatively contact Patricio Molina, the list's administrator, at secretariawikimedia.org.ar.
Subscription requests are discussed by current participants and, if no objections arise, they are accepted. According to an internal agreement between the groups forming Iberocoop the maximum number of representatives per chapter or working group is of three people. Of course, each group is free to choose their representatives.
Take into account that Iberocoop's working languages are Spanish and Portuguese — not English, as we want to enable interaction and cooperation in our own languages, enabling all of us to participate on equal foot. Chapters or working groups from outside Ibero-America are invited to subscribe if they are interested, but you'd better be able to understand Spanish or Portuguese.
What are we doing?
- Sharing experiences on chapter building between established chapters and working groups in the region;
- Discussing Wikimedia matters on our native languages;
- Coordinating and sharing information about events and celebrations of our projects, as the Wikipedia 10;
- On May 2013, after Wikipedia en español reached a million articles, a video was created with the participation of Wikimedia Chile, Wikimedia España, Wikimedia México, Wikimedia Venezuela and the forming chapter in Bolivia to thank the community for these last 12 years of hard work.
- A partnership agreement was reached between Wikimedia Argentina and Pau Educacion for WMAR to coordinate the Wiki Mundo space on the Aulas Creativas platform and contributions from chapters of our region to promote the use of wiki projects in innovative educational proposals.
- Organizing international Edit-a-thons:
- Organizing the annual Ibero-American Wikimedia conference:
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2011 (Buenos Aires, June 24-26);
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2012 (Santiago de Chile, June 1-3);
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2013 (Ciudad de México, October 12-15);
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2014 (Buenos Aires, November 21-23);
- Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2017 (Buenos Aires, June 10-12);