Grants:IdeaLab/Namespace monitor/Wikiversité/Département vide
|Languages:||English · français|
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
- Increase accessibility reducing empty departments number
The namespace experiment below shows the large part of empty departments,see Departments metrics on Wikiversité laboratry.
- Empty department --- 37%
- Department with 3 lessons max. --- 33%
- Department with more than 3 lessons --- 30%
Arguments for empty departments deletion: Impact des départements vides.
What is your solution?
A process for empty departments, quiet deletion, based on:
- FormWizard to prevent creator & community via talk pages
- Dashboard to monitor deleted departments and associated pages
- Report for discussions and deletions
Prior to initial situation based on approximately 2000 lessons:
- 442 departments for 4.5 average of documents per department
An optimistic goal is to reach this situation:
- 300 departments near from 6.5 average of doc. per department
- This projection suppose to delete (+/-) 115 departments
The most successfully projection (if everyone approve the process):
- 260 departments near from 7.7 doc. per department
Prioritizing oldest and uncompleted departments ; processing 10 departments per week (quiet an progressive) ; we'll need approximately 6 months to complete the process.
About the idea creator
Expand your idea
- Developing some specific algorithms to return metrics and to provide monitoring for the process.
- Evaluating the situation, elaborating a standard process to perform the task.
- Execute the procedure by:
- advising community and creators on discussion page,
- submit the department and relative pages for deletion (if no negative response from users),
- report the list of deleted pages,
- close the task by publishing the results metrics and reports.
Metrics of "namespace monitor" main idea, calculate the average of documents per department, and other indicators (Number of departments... see #What is the problem you're trying to solve? and #Goals). It turns us able to evaluate the impact on the Wikiversity department namespace and documents visibility.
The goal is to reach a maximum proportion of 10% empty departments, it will increase the number of documents per department to 6,5.
I'm publishing namespace's experiences since february 2016 on Wikiversity. Department namespace is the third experiment ; from the beginning the number of departments already decrease, from 449 to 415 ; with help of administrators (as a common user, i just submit pages for deletion). The new process use a FormWizard to advise community on each department's talk page and creator discussion's page.
- v:fr:Discussion Département:Allergologie Department talk page
- v:fr:Discussion_utilisateur:Wilimut#Proposition de suppressions de département vide User talk page
I am leading with the idea, as an independent contributor. This idea turns-on concrete action the framework "Namespace monitor". I create "département vide" as a sub-idea to provide defined scope and metrics. I request a grant via "département vide" to sustain the widest idea "Namespace monitor", which will keep difficult to explain without example.
- The main part of the resources represent two weeks of development Python & Lua to produce metrics and dashboard.
- List of departments by namespaces Faculté & Département analysing
- Number & average of documents per department
- List of empty departments
- The second part is attributed to design and execution of the process.
- Reporting list of deleted department
- Resuming results, metrics and discussions
The first works begun early in 2016, the toughest part (coding tools) is done. I estimate that i'll need three months to complete the process by this way:
- Process 10 departments/week
- A month of delay after advising
- Estimation: 120 departments processed
- Beginning: 2016 October 31
- End of processing: 2017 January 31
- Report and close: 2017 February 28
See the french page french page too.