Grants:PEG/ARCHÉ/Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Romania
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Continue to increase the amount of information on the historical monuments in Romania and improve the quality and quantity of Romanian contributors. By scheduling a real-life editing event (edit-a-thon) we will recruit new Wikipedians and teach them how to contribute.
• Starting August 1st - Maintain and update the project's social media accounts and website
• August 21st - Announcing the contest and extensive advertising of it (includes promoting the contest at Vama sub Lumini de Oscar Art Festival)
• September - Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Romania photo contest
• September 19th-20th - Wiki Weekend Expedition
• September 21st-27th - edit-a-thon (one day, pending on contracting the location)
• October 1st-5th - Initial filtering of the uploaded pictures
• October 6th-14th - The jury selects the winners from the pre-screen pictures
• October 15th-21st - Organizing the awards ceremony and the exhibition in Bucharest
• Last decade of October until end of the year - Awards ceremony and exhibition launch in Bucharest (pending on contracting the location)
• Mid-November - Presentation about the work behind the database at the partner's event (@ After VSLO or OSGEO seminary)
• Starting December - writing and submitting the project and grant report
The first activity will involve writing and releasing the first announcement of the 2015 edition of the WLM 2015 in Romania contest. This will be published as an article on the official contest website and will be promoted on the social media, organizational mailing lists and press. Also in August we will promote the contest at Vama Veche during the Vama sub Lumini de Oscar Art Festival.
In September, during the contest, we will organize an expedition in one of the less-covered regions in Romania. The purpose of this field trip is to increase the monument coverage in the region and to train interested participants into editing Wikipedia. We will invite former winners as well as photographers that cover the historical monuments in Romania.
In the week following the field trip an edit-a-thon will take place in Bucharest, in order to teach interested people how to contribute.
We will assembly a jury to evaluate the images and determine the winners. After the initial filtering, the jury will select and rank in order of preference the ten winning photographs. By mid-October, the organizers will notify all the participants who won the competition.
The awards ceremony will take place in a suitable place and all the winners will be invited. At the same time we will launch the exhibition that will remain opened for about 2 weeks.
- Romanian Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Commos
- International Wikipedia
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing reach
- we will increase the *offline* promotion for the contest, reaching people outside the traditional target audience
- the photo exhibition showing the winning images will expose the contest and Wikipedia/Commons to new people
- Increasing participation
- an edit-a-thon will teach people how to upload pictures to Commons and add them to Wikipedia articles
- the Wiki Weekend will encourage participants from previous years to return
- Increasing quality
- presentation at VSLO in front of an audience composed of experienced photographers is a way to motivate them to participate with quality works
- beyond the prizes, presence in an exhibition is a good motivation for experienced photographers
Measures of success
- more than 6000 new images uploaded covering at least 500 new monuments
- more than 5% of the participants will be involved in other Wikipedia-related activities (like article edits, reporting errors, volunteer for administrative tasks related to the contest)
- 3 real-life events - edit-a-thon, Wiki Weekend, an exhibition and an awards ceremony
- partnerships with other Romanian groups interested in open content
- one presentation about the work behind the monument database at the Photography&Film Festival VSLO2015
- more than 200 participants
- 25% of all images used on Wikipedia pages by the end of the year
Resources and risks
- AlinaRamona is a finance professional with many years of experience in the domain. As a member of ARCHÉ, she has gained valuable experience in organizing events comparable in size to the ones we propose to implement. She will be responsible for tracking all the expenses, organizing some of the activities;
- Savuleasca is a photographer and human resources specialist. She was a team member for the 2014 edition and also a jury member;
- Nicubunu has been an organizer of Wiki Loves Monuments in Romania from the first edition, being also involved in administering the budget. He also contributed pictures to Commons for a long time.
- low level of participation
- mitigation: increase the offline promotion; during the contest a push on social media with daily featured images; early promotion for the final photo exhibition
- low level of engagement of active contributions
- mitigation: two offline events dedicated to active contributors: Wiki Weekend and edit-a-thon
- costs exceeding the budget
- mitigation: if risking to go over-budget we can decrease the scope for the Wiki Weekend and/or the promotional packages
- failing to secure a convenient location for photo exhibition
- mitigation: the target for the photo exhibition is a public place with open access. For 2014 it was hosted in the halls of the National Library in Bucharest, in 2015 we may aim for a similar place or the halls of an university in Bucharest. If everything fails, the backup solution is a coffee shop near the city centre.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item Description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost (RON)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Contest organization||Prize money||Total||1||3800||3800||950||7 mentions @ 200 RON each, 3rd prize 500 RON, 2nd prize 779 RON (750 RON + taxes), 1st prize 1077 RON (1000 RON + taxes); might include more taxes if a person wins more prizes|
|2||Contest organization||Banking fees||transaction||25||4||100||25||transactions for receiving money (one from WMF, one from another sponsor), banking fees for payments (prizes and other)|
|3||Contest organization||Promotional packages||piece||55||25||1375||345||for winners, jury, participants (edit-a-thon & Wiki Weekend) and sponsors; might include delivery|
|4||Contest organization||Prints||diploma||10||10||100||25||for winners|
|5.a||Outreach||Edit-a-thon||person||15||30||450||120||water, coffee etc.|
|5.b||Outreach||Edit-a-thon (prize money)||prize||2||250||500||125||special prizes for writing contest|
|6.a||Outreach||Wiki Weekend||person||25||250||6250||1555||transport (fee for renting a bus 3750 RON); accommodation for 25 persons (participants, organizers and driver), 1 night: 100 RON / night => 2500 RON; the prices were estimated based on ARCHÉ's previous experiences, including Wiki Weekend 2014|
|6.b||Outreach||Wiki Weekend (prize money)||prize||2||250||500||125||prizes for "the best picture from the Wiki Weekend" and another special prize|
|7||Outreach||OSGEO||conference||1||1800||1800||450||transport, accommodation, lunch, dinner|
|10||Outreach||Exhibition Vernissage||total||1||3200||3200||800||covered from another grant (a sponsorship)|
Total cost of project
19975 RON | 4995 USD
Total amount requested
16775 RON | 4195 USD (rows 1-10)
Additional sources of revenue
3200 RON | 800 USD (sponsorship from Ixia Romania)
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Permission to use Wikimedia's marks [TODO]
- Supplies for outreach from Wikimedia Foundation - during our events we could find uses for any kind of promotional materials (stickers, calendars, pins, pens etc.)
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- initial Call for help
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Strainu (talk) WLM has proven to be a important incoming source for contributors on ro.wp. I see that this year the team is building on last year's experience and planning for an edit-a-thon that will hopefully transform some of the uploaders in text contributors as well
- Rodrigo Padula (talk) The WLM contest is a very good way to bring new content and engage new contributors to the Wikimedia movement. The organizers of that proposal have all experiente needed to execute more one excellent edition. The proposal is ok, so I support that Grant request.