Grants:PEG/Bojana Wiki PG/Trace of a Soul/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- YES / ДА
- Is your project completed?
- YES / ДА
Activities and lessons learned
- Top 10: Natural heritage / Топ 10: Природна добра
- Top 10: Cultural heritage / Топ 10: Непокретна културна добра
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Wiki Loves Republika Srpska - Trace of a Soul photo-contests. The Republika Srpska is one of the two entities that together comprise the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina, located in Southeast Europe. The natural and historical riches of the Republika Srpska are very large and significant. However, there is little thing is known about them, and even less they are represented on the Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons. There is only few articles and pictures about natural monuments from Republika Srpska. Because that, one of the primary goal of this project is to increase the number of articles and free photos related to this monuments on Wikipedia and on Wikimedia Commons. Other important goal is popularisation of Wikimedia’s mision and vision in Republica Srpska. In general, public is not aware of the possibility of editing Wikimedia project. Also, there is lack of information abotu CC license. Photo contests and edit-a-thons are a good way to inform the general public about the Wikimedia and its mission. The third important goal is strengthening the capacity of the community. In Republika Srpska we have several very active member (with 10K+edits) and wiki community has about ~15 persons. They are doing EduWiki project at the moment and making an effort so the photo competition could be successfully implemented in this region. Project will help strengthening enthusiasm and give support for forming wiki user group in Republika Srpska. This project can also attract new volunteers.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2000 photos||1952 photos||Concerning the number of photographs, goal was 97% achieved. Deficient internet connections and unfamiliarity with wiki software are perceived as main reasons for less than 100% performance.|
|100 participants||40 participants||Concerning the number of participants, goal was 40% achieved. As this was first community project from Republic of Srpska and given that we were not recognized even as a official user group in that time there was unbalanced perspective on Wikimedia presence in Republic of Srpska which was critical in predictions on number of possible participants in the competition itself. The concept of the competition and manner of participation, atypical for similar contest inside the Republic of Srpska, deterred some from participation. For some, these attitudes were strengthened by the fact that organizer of the project was an informal community without the status of legal entity. Weak internet connections were key factor that stopped several people from participation. Beside a number of complaints regarding slow upload to Wikimedia Commons demands were made for use of mail to deliver pictures to organizers which would then upload them to Commons. Bearing in mind clear set regulations of the contest, organizers could not accept photos sent by e-mail and were unable to influence internet connection quality. Important to mention is the fact everyone was provided adequate assistance service concerning photography upload and contest participation. Several individuals reported they were unable to participate due to the error ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR which often occurred to those using Google Chrome.|
|>5% photos will be used in Wikipedia in first 7 weeks after the competition||17.94%||Concerning the number of photographs used in Wikimedia projects, goal was 398,8% achieved. Before our contest began Wikimedia Commons had very few pictures of cultural and natural heritage sites from Republic of Srpska. Thanks to “Traces of Soul” large number of new content was created, including photographs and articles, in addition to older articles that were update with these new photos. Wikipedia in Serbian and English had the highest use ratio for the new photographs.|
|20 media coverage||28 media agencies published 36 news coverages|
|community will be stronger than now (min 2 new users, minimum 1 workshop in next 6 weeks etc.)||•13 new members
•3 new project
•launched community web site
•official recognition as a Wikimedia user group
|Concerning the project capacity development, goal was 650% achieved. During the realization stage of the “Traces of Soul” project idea about internet web presentation was implemented. Page was used to present Wikimedia community from Republic of Srpska, its projects and activities. Community was expanded with 13 new members, that is for 150% and during this competition cooperation was achieved with Wikimedia Austria and Wikimedia Foundation itself. On several occasions, the Foundation employees provided assistance with adjustments with wiki website. Cooperation was achieved with CEE group as well which resulted in Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska representative participation in regional conference organized in Estonia. One of our latest successes was formal recognition and acceptance of our group by Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Several web meetings followed and conversations with interested members from the wider community were held. Ground work for several new projects which should be implemented in the following period was laid down.|
|>200 facebook followers/page likes.||258 facebook + 5 TW + 7 TOP||We had 148% success in our campaign to spread our online community via social networks. Promotion campaign attracted more visitors and followers than predicted which is a positive sign giving the high level of acceptance social networks have in Republic of Srpska.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||40 photographers
|2. # of new editors||33|
|3. # of individuals involved||70||40 photographers + 30 participants in photo tour, edit-a-thon and organization of prize-giving event|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||350* (18.04%* of all images of category)||*the result at the time of writing this report|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||1995 in competition + 14 prize-giving event+ 7 from edit-a-thon = 2016 images in total||in competition= from main project; images about cultural and natural heritage|
prize-givin event= photos taken during event
from edit-a-thon= photos taken during edit-a-thon
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||49 articles created||32 articles was created in edit-a-thon action |
17 articles created beside edit-a-thon (mostly for the purpose of QR codes or basic project topics)
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||334299.0 total
78050.0 in edit-a-thon action
224351.0 action before and after edit-a-thon
5516.0 on bs.wiki
739.0 on hr.wiki
5573.0 on sh.wiki
20070.0 on en.wiki
|78,050.0= 72591.0 positive sum + 5459.0 negative sum|
224,351.0= 155782.0 positive sum + 68569.0 negative sum
5516.0=5456.0 positive sum + 60.0 negative sum
739.0 positive sum; 0 negative sum
5573 positive sum; 0 negative sum
20070.0=17525.0 positive sum + 2545.0 negative sum
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- over 90% of the participants never had user accounts on Wikimedia projects prior to this experience
- at least 5 new Wikimedia of Republic of Srpska members never before edited any of the Wikimedia projects.
- numerous activities in project realization directly influenced on Wikimedia projects content, most often through edition and new content creation
- new photographs and articles directly influenced quantity of Wikimedia projects content. Use of photos and new content writing increased quality of articles dedicated to natural and cultural heritage sites.
- media presentations provided the public with information on Wikimedia and work undertaken by Wikimedia community in Republic of Srpska.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|2||Photo tour||Photo tour in Višegrad and places near it||1||5-8 people||29,56||29,56||30||EUR|
|3||Prizes||I, II and III prizes||package||2||600||1200||1200||EUR|
|4||Prize giving event||Venue||1||1||200,08||200,08||200||EUR|
|hotel for jury||198,46||198,46||200||EUR|
|travel expenses for the jury||130,80||200||EUR|
|catering||1||70ppl.||8,75||612,27||600||EUR||Planed €600 was calculation for 60ppl. At the end, 70 people attended prize-giving event.|
|image printing||21||13,025||273,52||260||EUR||It was planed to print 20 images but in the end we printed 21. One images was broken during transport.|
|printing of promotional materials||49,87||50||EUR|
|8||Miscellaneous and reserves||76,99||100||EUR||bank, rate differences, meetings with parthers.|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 3,757 EUR (4,222 USD)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 3,757 EUR (4,222 USD)
- Total amount spent on this project
- 3700,7 EUR
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 3700,7 EUR
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 56,3 EUR
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.