The concept of WikiDACH is targeted both as a communicty conference as well as an outreach conference in the tradition of SkillShare from 2010. "D-A-CH" means german-speaking Europe. For this purpose the conference is designed so that it will be hold at a different place in the German speaking areas, and it always searches to cooperate closely with local partners (educational institutions, government institutions, chamber of commerce, business, etc.) The conference costs will be covered by the partners and sponsors, either in kind or as restricted grant.
The conference this year will be hold by the end of October and begin of November at Schwerin, the capital of the German state Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The venue will be the Castle of Schwerin, which is also the seat of the state parliament and the chamber of commerce. As partner we have won the state parliament (who will, among others, provide the venue, technology), the chamber of commerce, etc.
- Conference time plan
|18.03.2015||send in Grant for organizational costs|
|01.02.2015||Finalize budget plan|
|27.06.2015||-115 days||"Call for Papers" published|
|27.06.2015||-115 days||Registering start|
|21.07.2015||-90 days||Catering negotiated|
|14.08.2015||-65 days||Sitenotice I online|
|11.09.2015||-47 days||"Call for Papers" ends|
|18.09.2015||-40 day||Programme published, Sitenotice II online|
|18.09.2015||-40 days||Programme ready|
|28.09.2015||-30 days||registration ends|
|28.09.2015||-30 days||press conference|
|01.10.2015||-28 days||Confirm hotel contingencies|
|01.10.2015||Banner and other on conference displays ready|
|01.10.2015||Send out conference information (map, travel plan, public transportation ticket...)|
|27.10.2015||-2 days||Build up. Organization team on conferece site|
|28.10.2015||-1 day||WiFi ready|
- Improve exchange between locals and members from the Wikimedia community
- Encourage participants from locals
- Raise interest of Wikimedians to the area, its nature and culture
- Improve exchanges of ideas improve cooperation inside of the community and the different projects
Specific goal for the conference in Schwerin:
- Establish links between volunteers and politics by the cooperation with the parliament of the state Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Establish links between the community and local educational institutions (via the education ministry of the state)
- Establish links between the community and local business via the chamber of commerce, here especially to explain what Wikimedia projects do and what they don't do
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
To ensure the goals and impacts are met, the following measures are taking in the concept:
- To enforce the cooperation and communication presentations, project prosentations and discussions out of the community will be hold
- There is a socializing zone on the venue where people can chat, develop and exchange new ideas
- At Saturday there should be a festival in the Orangerie of the castle Schwerin
- The event should repeat in different places in all german speaking areas to bind as much of the public as well as the community in it.
- In this year it will take place at the northeastern part of the region, with rich of history (the Hansa alliance, the nordic region), nature (the coast of Baltic sea with its national reserves) and culture (with Sorbian speaking communities, danish speaking communities and lower german speaking communities in the vincinity).
- With local funding and sponsoring we want to achieve a better networking between the locals and the community
- With panel discussions with prominent participant we want to attrackt more local and regional participation
- Expeditions should lead the community to points of interest or less known important locations to improve content
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- For the organization: A successful and smooth running conference
- For the conference:
- At least 200 participants, 350 is targetted
- Presentations and workshops: At least 40, 50 is targetted. Among these:
- from at least 5 different Wikimedia projects
- 10 addressing locals who will be motivated to join the projects
- 10 addressing inter project cooperations
- 10 from locals addressing the wikimedia community
- 5 workshops
- From the participation projects:
- At least 100 emprovement in Wikipedia articles
- At least 25 new articles about local content
- At least 100 new photos from the local content to Commons
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
The main organizers of the conference are:
We have strong local partners like the state parliament who would provide the conference location and the local Chamber for Commerce and Industry that will provide in kind supports for the conference.
From the project community we have positive feedback for the conference concept
Schwerin is located at the northern part of the german speaking area. This means that both organizers and speakers and people from the community who want to take part of the conference would have a longer travel. The travel cost is one of the biggest cost calculated in the organizational costs that we search for a grant.
- On the other side. It is our goal to increase reach and this especially in the more remote and not in focus part of the region. Also here from the past discussions inside of the community there is a support for a conference in this part of the region.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
For the conference we are only searching for a grant to cover the organizational costs. The conference cost will be covered by sponsors, either in kind or as restricted grants.
|Travel and lodging||Per organizer||total|
|1. Lodging of Organization team to Schwerin for preparation and negotiation with local partners
for five trips a three organizers
Purpose of the travel:
Local negotiation and organization with sponsor partners
|59 €||885 €|
|2. Travel cost of the trips above
Travel from Berlin
|4. Lodging of entire organization team with key helpers to Schwerin five weeks before conference for final preparation
for one trip a 15 persons
Purpose of the trip:
Final preparation before the conference
|5. Travel cost of the trip above
The travel cost here is higher because the helpers may come from other places than Berlin
and may have higher travel cost. The actual cost depends on the actual travel cost and may be lower
|6. Meat||24 €||360 €|
|In city transport||100 €|
|Office supplies / copying||100 €|
|Communication (Telephone, mobile)||100 €|
|Grand total||6.165 €|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Beside of the requests above we have requested from the three German speaking chapters Germany, Austria and Switzerland for the travel cost of their members who will take part on the conference
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- The parliament of Meklenburg-Vorpommern is going to finance the entire cost for venur, technology and security of the conference
- We are currently negotiating with the supplier who also provides the catering for the parliament about the catering
- We are currently negotiating with the transportation company in the city about sponsoring of in city transportation
- We are currently negotiating with the local newspaper about media coverage and call for participation inside of the local community
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.