Grants:PEG/UG TN/Annual plan 2015-2016/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
Wiki Loves Monuments 2015
The competition reached its target and 2,348 photos illustrating the monuments of Tunisia have been uploaded, and 231 used in Wikipedia (9.84% of all images of category). They are now free for usage in Wikimedia Commons under the category Images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Tunisia.
We have organised a photo walk with the Carthagina association as part of Wiki Loves Monuments; it was a great opportunity to present the contest and to recruit new Wikimedia users for our community.
At the end of the competition, the jury selected the best 10 photos, the first 5 photographers and the best uploader; all got their prizes in a joyful ambiance during the Wikimedia 15th anniversary ceremony.
- Number of participants Done: 40 uploaders vs. an objective of 20
- Number of uploaded pictures Done : 2,348 pictures vs. an objective of 1,500
- Number of new users Done: 10
- Four months after the contest, 200 pictures were used in Wikimedia projects Done: 231 pictures used in Wikipedia
Wiki Loves Africa
- Presentation of Wiki Loves Africa during the Wiki Loves Earth 2015 awards ceremony, on September 5, 2015.
- Introduction session about Wiki Loves Africa 2015 and quality pictures on October 24, 2015 from 10 AM to 12 AM at the Diocesan Library of Tunis reading room (Facebook event).
- Photo walk in the medina of Tunis on October 31, 2015 (Facebook event).
- Presentation du concours "Wiki Loves Africa" 14 novembre 2015 (facebook event).
- Photo walk in Hammamet and Takrouna on November 22, 2015 (Facebook event).
- As part of this project, we have provided a training about GLAM and the use of Wikimedia Commons and licenses for documents to the team of the Diocesan Library of Tunis; the team will prepare a list of documents and/or maps to be scanned. This is an exemple selected as part of the training (Rome et Carthage).
A presentation about the Wikipedia Education Program was planned on June 20, 2016 with professors of the University of Manouba and the program will be launched in September-October 2016.
The National Engineering School of Tunis is not ready for the education program this year.
Activities & Promotions
Here in our list of activities (chronologically ordered):
MedinaPedia is a project to digitize the historic wealth of the medina of Tunis and thus bring them into the world of virtual collective knowledge. This will be the occasion of a series of practical workshops on the world of Wikipedia, Wikimedia and other tools that can promote this objective.
- As part of the MedinaPedia project we ave organised 8 workshops and edit-a-thons about the medina of Tunis with 14 participants.
This table includes all participants with a list of created pages and files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons as part of this project:
|participant||Pages added to Wikipedia||Files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons|
|NOUHA KOUBAA||3 fr||10|
|Houssem Abida||13 en, 3 ar, 2 fr||3|
|Sami Mlouhi||86 fr, 4 en, 2 ar||1464|
|Youssefbhy||6 en, 4 ar, 3 fr, 2 it, 1 es, 1 uk||1|
|Meriem Mach||7 ar||19|
|Brahim Bouganmi||1 ar||0|
|Emnamizouni||3 en, 1 ar||0|
|Jihene Miled||1 fr||0|
Carthage edit-a-thon on May 21, 2016
A Carthage edit-a-thon (and workshops for beginners) was planned to create more than forty articles about the Carthaginian era in Tunisia.
- As part of this project, we have created 17 article with the participation of 8 users and 2 new users, this link provides the list of all articles created as part of this project; another edit-a-thon will be organised to complete this list.
March 16, 2016
Workshop about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects in a university in Sousse.
February 7, 2016
WikiWomen in Tunisia on January 24, 2016
Three training sessions were dedicated to Tunisian women to boost their presence in Wikipedia. The two other sessions are organized on February 14, 2016 and March 6, 2016.
- The main objective of this project is to decrease the gender gap.
- 10 new users have joined this project and, after the end, 5 users have joined the MedinaPedia project.
- List of participants
- Jihene Miled: Jihene Miled
- Hana Oueslati : Oueslathana
- Donia Barkati: Doniabar
- Jihene Nabli: Jajjoutii
- Zeineb Takouti: Teinebtakouti
- Dalila yakoubi : Dalilayakoubidalkamary
- Maha Ammar: Maha ammar
- Afek Ben Chahed: Afek91
- Meriem Machghoul: Meriem Mach
- Hounaida Naifar: Hounaida.naifar
At the end of the project we have given two prices to the best two participants, Afek Ben Chahed Afek and Meriem Machghoul.
A gathering of all active and new members of the Wikimedia TN User Group celebrated on January 16, 2016 the 15th anniversary of Wikipedia. The event included an awards ceremony for Wiki Loves Monuments in Tunisia and for Wiki Loves Africa 2015. The event was organized by the Wikimedia TN User Group and the CLibre association.
Meeting and photo walk in Dougga on March 6, 2016
A meeting and photo walk was organized on March 6, 2016; the main objectifs of this event was to increase the motivation of Wikipedia users in Tunisia and to talk about new Wikimedia Tunisia projects. It was also an opportunity to take pictures and to upload them to Wikimedia Commons.
A new website for Wikimedia TN User Group was launched.
- What worked well?
- Wiki Loves monument and workshops/edit-a-thons
- What did't work?
- Education program; the budget of the education program was not used due to some issues with the fiscal sponsor.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- We work with rapid grants or consider creating a chapter
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- + 2,500 pictures uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- + 1 million bytes added to the Arabic Wikipedia.
- + 1 million bytes added to the French Wikipedia.
- 0.5 million bytes added to the English Wikipedia.
- Recruiting 50 new editors / contributors
- Improve the skills of new users by edit-a-thons
- Recruit at least 20 new active women contributors to Wikipedia.
- + 400 new articles added to the Arabic Wikipedia.
- + 400 new articles added to the French Wikipedia.
- + 200 new articles added to the English Wikipedia.
Progress towards targets and goals
Measures of success
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|+ 2,500 pictures uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||more than 2,500 uploaded||WLM 2016 (2,300 pictures)|
WLAf 2016 (1,200 pictures)
|1 million bytes added to the Arabic Wikipedia||1,513,251,7.0000 added in all Wikipedia projects (ar, fr and en)|
|1 million bytes added to the French Wikipedia|
|0.5 million bytes added to the English Wikipedia|
|Recruiting 50 new editors / contributors|
|Recruiting 50 new editors / contributors||26||10 in WLM and 16 in MedinaPedia|
|Recruit at least 20 new active female contributors to Wikipedia||10||WikiWomen project|
|+ 400 new articles added to the Arabic Wikipedia||133|
|+ 400 new articles added to the French Wikipedia||84|
|+ 200 new articles added to the English Wikipedia||29|
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- the annual plan not easy to achieve as we have a lot of project, and we have spent 80 % of the budget, we think that we have achieved 80% of tha annual plan
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
|1. # of active editors involved||10||Editors and photographers active in commons|
|2. # of new editors||36||10 in WLM, 16 in MedinaPedia and 10 in WikiWomen project|
|3. # of individuals involved||50||TNUG members, editors, new editors, photographers,|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||more than 2,500 uploaded on wikimedia commons||WLM 2016 (2,300 pictures) WLAf 2016 (1,200 pictures)|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||246||In Arabic, french, and english|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||1,513,251,7.0000 added in all Wikipedia projects (ar, fr and en)|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- The activities of the annual grant definitely increased the motivation of contributors... The competitions encouraged photographers upload quality photos on Wikimedia commons. New members become active among the Tunisian group that makes creating a chapter more feasible.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
The following table resumes the expenses so far:
|Category||Invoice Name||Elements||Date||montant (TND)||Total expended (TND)||Total in Grant (TND)|
|Accessories for the projects||275|
|Workshop, edit-a-thons, and meetings||Work-1||Other expenses||24.75||2170.64||2240|
|Work-7||Prizes for WikiWomen||300|
|Work-8||Wikimedia Commons workshop||100|
|Website creation and maintenance||Website||Website||600||600||600|
|Total:||7,773.525 (3,886$)||9,340 (4,670$)|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 9340 TND ($ 4670)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 9340 TND ($ 4670)
- Total amount spent on this project
- 7773.525 TND ($ 3,886)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 7773.525 TND ($ 3,886)
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 1567 TND ($ 780)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT