Grants:PEG/Violetova/Wikipedian in Residence at DARM/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
I have shared office, own desc and internet access, from the first day at DARM. My part time working hours: 11 AM - 4 PM, every day. As planed, I continue with materials which I have to digitized. I started a process of digitization of the files. It is exciting to search in boxes with original documents and images from the last century. I really love this part.
I spent time in the Bitola Department, digitizing materials. I get almost 300 photos out of 6,000, which are kept in the Bitola Dpartment, as donation from the Archives Bitola Department. All photos were filmed on glass plate. There are many of them which are damaged or broken, but still recognizable what is on the photo. I spent whole week in Bitola, in order to get and digitized material. All digitized 290 photos are uploaded in this category. All photos are black and white.
- There were a few photos (23 total) in the category Manaki Brothers at that moment when I started negotiation with the Management of the Archives.
I spent time in the Periodicals Department, and in Prilep Department as well.
The State Archives host a group of students, organized by Wikipedian in Residence, on October 10, 2016. The students were introduced to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. I gave a lecture about Wikipedia to the students and introduced to them the first Wiki Club which started on 19th October in the Museum of Macedonian struggle in Skopje. DARM gave a present to all of them, a calendar with old photos of Macedonian voivode.
The second DARM Challenge run from December 25, 2016, and was open one month, till January 25, 2017. Again, this is a good chance to have files used in articles in any language, and also to involve editors to create new articles based on files uploaded in Category:Wikipedian in Residence at DARM.
- Note: For my work in the first 6 months, please see this report
- GLAM Newsletter - report for July 2016
- GLAM Newsletter - report for December 2016
- BG Blog - Bulgarian Wikimedians mention DARM Challenge and Bulgarian winner on blog
- TV Show "Jadi Burek"
- What worked well?
- The employees are willing to collaborate. They are asking many questions about Wikipedia, even most of the employees now share opinion that every GLAM institution has to have at least one Wikipedian in Residence. I have good collaboration with the management of the Archives.
- What didn't work?
- I spent time on searching the boxes with documents and images in order to find which are appropriate for Wikipedia, then I spent time on digitized them. This activities took a lot of the time i spent in the Archives.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- As a User Group we have agreement with the management of the Archives to send a WiR in the 2017 also. We will continue with the same pace, and give our best.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- The goal of this activity is to continue to work with GLAM staff and serve as a liaison between the Archives and the Wikimedia community. Educating the GLAM employees on Wikimedia projects, on how to upload files on Commons, which are release for public domain, as well on how to create new articles or improve the existing ones, using the books and materials from the Archives, is one of the goals. I will be responsible for coordinating and organizing special events, such as edith-a-thons, Wikipedian tours, which will bring Wikipedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvement. To host a contest and thematic editing weeks is a very important goal, because the volunteers will have a chance to incorporate uploaded materials into articles.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Most of the project goals went well.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|at least 1500 uploaded files after 6 months||1163 uploaded files||This second term of my activities, I had to digitized all files which has to be uploaded on commons.|
|at least 100 improved and/or new articles after 6 months||As I know, there are more than 50 new articles, and more than 50 improved articles.||But, I am not aware of all created or improved articles, so I cannot count them properly. Some of the new articles:|
|at least 10% of uploaded files used in new or existing articles||35.55% of all images of category and 630 images used,
||This is according to GLAMorous tool and GLAMorgan, and the number vary almost every day.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||more than 16|
|2. # of new editors||none||Editors who used the files were not new editors|
|3. # of individuals involved||more than 16||Including DARM Challenge 2 participants|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||779 distinct images used|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||1163 uploaded files|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||1,392 pages on 33 wikis use those files|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||30K|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Yes, I know because I noticed several editors who didn't sign themselves to be participants on DARM Challenge, but still, they used files in their home wiki.
- Partnership with the State Archives is a valuable.
- The files donated by DARM and uploaded on Commons are valuable for many Language Wikipedia.
- The readership is increase because of the improved articles and the new articles created from documents provided by DARM.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Wikipedian in Residence||compensate||1 month||6||500||3000||EUR||The compensation, иncluding VAT and all taxes one has to pay monthly|
|2||Traveling costs||2 travels||5 days||162||324||EUR||Travel costs for visiting the State Departments in Bitola and Prilep: 2 times x 12 Euros for public transport ticket, train ticket round trip and local transport at the towns; 10 days x 30 euros = 15 euros hostel plus 15 euros meals (one proper meal of 10 euros and 5 euros for coffee and sandwiches)|
|3||Second DARM Challenge costs||books for compensate a winners plus postal costs||set of books||5 set of books||20 euros per set (100 EUR) + 20 euros postal costs||120||EUR||Payment for books and postal costs. Remain 9.5 euros out of 20 euros for postal costs|
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
PLACEHOLDER TEXT. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 3444 euros
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 3444 euros
- Total amount spent on this project
- 3444 euros
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 3444 euros
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 9.5 euros
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- I want to relocate remaining 9.5 euros in UG GLAM Macedonia, if it's possible