Grants:PEG/WM BE/Budget 2015 H1/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
Planned and executed
The full internal report can be read at wmbe:Report_of_1st_semester
WMBE Capacity building activities
|Planned Activity||Executed activites||Date||Link/Comment|
|Organisation of meetings with our stakeholders: board meetings, General Assembly, FOSDEM booth.|||FOSDEM||January 2015, 31 - February 2015, 01||https://fosdem.org/ ( see below)|
|General Assembly 2015||January 2015, 24||First General Assembly Wikimedia Belgium wmbe:2015-01-24_General_Assembly|
|Board Meetings||June 2015, 28||June board meeting|
|May 2015, 5||May board meeting preparation of Wikimedia conference Berlin 13-17 may.|
|March 2015, 15||March Board Meeting|
|January 2015, 24||GA & board meeting|
|Organisation of WM BE Project Days||Project Day 1||February 2015, 04||to foster new projects : Engage with our community and institutions during 4-hours Project Days, our proposed one-stop-shop to discuss with WM BE new projects, arrange (micro) grants and liaison with the Wikimedia Foundation, when appropriate.|
|WM related conferences||GLAM Wiki 2015 Den Haag (NL)||April 2015, 12-15||GLAM WIKI 2015, Den Haag, attended by Romaine, Dimi (funded directly by WMF) and DerekvG|
|Wikimedia Conference Berlin (DE)||May 2015, 13-18||Wikimedia Conference 2015 Berlin attended by Maarten, Dimi (funded directly by WMF) and User:DerekvG|
|Mediatraining, Utrecht||Wikmedia Nederland and bureau ‘de mediaspecialist’||April 2015, 05||Geertvp and DerekvG attended the training|
|WMNL/WMBE Coordination meeting||May 2015, 09||MADe, Geertvp and DerekvG attended the meeting|
- June 2015, 7 - Wiknic in Charleroi, starts at 13h annulled due to the Kol.Zeiksnor case.
- May 2015, 17 - Launch of m:Wiki_Remembers_Flanders_Fields_(WW1_1914-18) project for 2018
- April 2015, 25 - Workshop Wikipedia during Mons 2015 on the numeric coffee shop, explanation about how to edit and source a already existing article.
- April 2015, 24 - Workshop Wikipedia in the Chiroux library, Liège
- April 2015, 24 - Associalibre invites us to a meeting about the challenges driven by free licenses., in Mundo-B. Talk about the « Une petite histoire libre » and round table with a group of interested participants about possible collaboration with Wikimedia Belgium.
- April 2015, 21 - Conference "Partager, Remixer, Réutiliser — Légalement !" during La Semaine du Numérique.
- April 2015, 11 - Workshop wikipédia during Mons 2015 on the numeric coffee shop, General presentation of wikimedia and explanation about all tools and tick system for using Wikipedia like reader.
- March 2015, 16 - Wiki loves art Sideproject : Educational Roadshow comes on on the planning table.
- March 2015, 7-8 - Meetup/Brussels/ArtAndFeminism 2015
- On 7 and 8 March an Art+Feminism Edit-a-thon was organised in Brussels. With this edit-a-thon a presentation has been given about Free/Libre and Open Source, about Wikimedia & Wikipedia and about the the gendergap on Wikipedia. During the edit-a-thon articles have been written about the subjects of art and feminism, mostly related to Belgium. Besides the attempt to close the gendergap, the participants also worked on the Belgiumgap: the relative limited number of articles about Belgian subjects.
- More information about the edit-a-thon is at the project page.
- February 2015, 25 Europeana Fashion, International Conference, MoMu, Antwerp,
- Ste.caneva has given a presentation for Wikimedia Belgium concerning the role of CC licenses during the Workshop 'Handling Intellectual Property in Fashion Images' . The workshop was organized by Gabrielle De Pooter (MoMu Antwerpen) and was chaired by Roxanne Peters, Intellectual Property Manager at Victoria and Albert Museum London and the author of the Europeana Fashion Guidelines for IPR . The other participants were Jill Cousins, Executive Director at Europeana Foundation, and Alexis Hallemans, Partner at law firm CMS DeBacker Belgium, an expert in IPR law. The presentation of Wikimedia Belgium has focused on the Wiki vision regarding the use of CC lincenses when GLAMs open up their digital archives: more precisely, on the efficiency of a SA clause and on the reasons why this license is, in most cases, preferrable to NC and ND. Pictures of the event are available on Flickr 
- February 2015, 23 Open Belgium 2015 Namur
- The Open Knowledge Foundation Belgium organised on 23 February 2015 the yearly conference Open Belgium 2015 in Namur. Romaine gave there a presentation about Wikimedia and copyright. Website Open Belgium 2015
- February 2015, 20 - Wikimedia Belgiums budget for the first six months of 2015 has been approved
- February 2015, 20 - Civic Epistemologies Workshop on the Roadmap, KUL, Leuven
- Ste.caneva & Romaine have attended the Workshop of the Civic Epistemologies network  in Leuven. During the Stakeholders' Session, they have introduced Wikimedia Belgium and the Wikimedia projects that can help GLAMs and educational institutions to enhance a closer interaction between researchers, Cultural Heritage institutions, and citizens. Photos and slides from the event are available on the project's website 
- February 2015, 4 - Projects Days, or how can Wikimedia Belgium help you with your plans and projects?
- Announcement SOIMA 2015
- In September Wikimedia Belgium is the partner in the international conference of SOIMA 2015, organised in Brussels. SOIMA 2015: Unlocking Sound and Image Heritage is an international conference on ensuring a safe and creative future for sound and image heritage. In the days before the conference workshops are organized. Website
- Wiki Loves Art 2016
- In January and February we are discussing and preparing the organisation of Wiki Loves Art in Belgium. Already multiple partners in the field of open data and cultural institutions have indicated they are willing to organise the project with us. The plan at this moment is to organise the contest in February 2016, while we like to start planning and working on the project in March 2015.
- Wikimedia was present with a professional stand at FOSDEM, the yearly Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting in Brussels. The stand was organised by Wikimedia Belgium and the Wikimedia Shop provided us materials to be used at our stand, including stickers, pens, flyers and buttons. Wikimedia Belgium and Wikimedia Deutschland provided also some materials. Participants at the conference who Twittered about the Wikimedia Shop or provided some proof of being an editor of Wikipedia/Wikimedia, got a free Wikimedia T-shirt. Editors could also choose a water bottle or a hoodie.
- At the stand we got, besides the questions about Wikipedia and Wikimedia, a lot of questions about Wikidata and MediaWiki. At the conference software developers from MediaWiki and Wikidata were present, and also gave some talks about these subjects. The focus of the stand was this yearly mainly on Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Next year we like to expand this also with more materials related to MediaWiki and Wikidata, as that would attract more attention to the software in what most people here have interest in.
- Even while the gendergap at FOSDEM is larger than in the Wikimedia movement, we had the chance to speak with a lot of female Wikipedia contributors. The impression I got from these conversations and my experiences with organising writing sessions is, that to attract female contributors like
- - in-person workshops/edit-a-thons to have a social interaction.
- - social software on-wiki to enable users easily to form groups so they are not feeling alone, but easily can work together with other users in a group.
- Groups will have a central discussion page, there are recent changes to be able to see the activities of other group members, being able to create tasks, having a wish list, and so on.
- At FOSDEM Quim Gil and Andre Klapper had a talk with the subject Wikimedia adopts Phabricator, deprecates seven infrastructure tools - First hand experiences from a big free software project on a complex migration. (link)
- January 2015, 29-31 - Europeana Photography Final Conference, KUL, Leuven
- Ste.caneva attended Europeana Photography conference  to establish contacts between Wikimedia Belgium and the Photo Consortium 
- follow-up : invitation of Wikimedia Belgium invited to give a presentation during the stakeholders' workshop organized by the project Civic Epistemologies at KUL, Leuven, on 20 February
- January 2015, 27 - Preparation meeting for the Project Days and FOSDEM
- January 2015, 24 - Our first General Assembly
- January 2015, 19 - European Commission, Brussels
- WMBE organised a workshop for the representatives of the European Commission. We explained how Wikipedia is organised and how should be dealt with issues in Wikipedia articles. The project will continue in coming months.
- January 2015, 14 - Mons2015 & Mundaneum
- Some of the lessons learned are into the reports especially the Glam Wiki and WMCON-berlin reports
- We did come away with a number of new ideas on recruiting more (off-wiki)volunteers to run the projects
- What didn't work?
- Reducing the number of face to face contacts of board members doesn't work, people don't know what the others are doing, miscommunication creates misunderstandings and undermines trust end confidence building. A volunteer board (like ours) people tend to "wander off in different directions and rather then cooperating for the same goals and towards the same finality people start working against each other, creating islands of "competence" that they then protect. More working in the same space can prevent this form happening until we have a good working relationship. different people have different ideas of urgency on the same issue, questions asked are not immediately responded to creating delays en frustration at different point along the organisational lines.
Thsi might cause precocious volunteer burnout among board members.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- We intend to increase the number of board meetings to at least 1 every month, but a board meeting has a private part and an en opne part in the form of a wikicafe where interested people can come and attend workshop like sessions, this public facing event should generate an influx of new volunteers to run the programs
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
Wikimedia Belgium was set up end of last year. It is based on this presentation given to the board, and was approved by the board on Dec 31, 2014. It is based on the SWOT analysis of our organisation performed with our members.
This is an application for the activities of the Wikimedia Belgium chapter in the coming six months (January-June). It includes
- Part #1 - outreach efforts to our community (General Assembly, website);
- Part #2 - the first steps in organising projects (Project Days, provisioning for the first small projects); and
- Part #3 - capacity building of the board (regular board meetings, attendance at WM related conferences).
More specifically, WM BE wants to reach out to
- the existing Wikiproject volunteers, contributors, illustrators
- GLAM organisations, GLAM institutions and GLAM-support organisations
- Education institutions
- existing open knowledge organisations in Belgium ('Communication efforts')
- off-wiki volunteers (to strengthen the Micro Grant Program).
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Well organised General Assembly (January);||OK|
||NOK||delayed(goes together with website)|
||NOK||1 attended by 15 people|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||+ 40||this was not within the objectives of this activity|
|2. # of new editors||unaccounted||no objective to recruit new editors|
|3. # of individuals involved||+/- 60||our membership grew from 10 to 42 we got help from a few other interested persons|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||none||not the objective of this planned activity|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||none||not the objective of this planned activity|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||none||not the objective of this planned activity|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
All amounts rounded to the next multiple of 5.00 €
revised Project budget table
All amounts rounded to the next multiple of 5.00 €
|Activity||Budget granted||Actual Spending||Carry over to 2nd semester||Comments|
|Outreach efforts to our community (Part #1)||
|1.1 Organisation General Assembly (1 time)||€ 0,00||€ 95,00||€ -95,00||Travel costs overssen at reduction in discussion|
|1.2 Setup website||€ 1.070,00||€ 0,00||€ 1.070,00||Implementation of website delayed to September|
|1.3 Communication to our members (postal mail, telephone)||€ 150,00||€ 0,00||€ 150,00||Implementation of website and communication to members delayed to September|
|Projects and Setup Micro grant program (Part #2)|
|2.1 Organisation 2 Project Days (Feb, June)||€ 1.100,00||€ 350,00||€ 750,00||1 Project Days organised. Venue cost by Transforma bxl (180e), travel costs.|
|2.2 Provisioning projects (6x under 150€, 1x under 1500€)||€ 2.400,00||€ 240,00||€ 2.160,00||Excludes projects above 1500€, as these will be discussed directly with the WMF in the PEG system|
|Capacity building of the board (Part #3)|
|3.1 Organisation regular Board Meetings (2x)||€ 400,00||€ 245,00||€ 155,00||Travel costs, occassional drinks.|
|3.2 Attendance 2 persons to Wikimedia related conferences (Wikimedia Conference, Hackathon)||€ 1.040,00||€ 1.910,00||€ -870,00||Transport costs and accomodation. overspending due to unfamiliarity with costs of attending conferences. We propose to request help from the Foundation with intercontinental travels. Within Europe we can organize travel more economically, and budget sharper|
|3.3 Attendance at meetings of Dutch, French and German WM||€ 900,00||€ 100,00||€ 800,00||Transport and accomodation costs (only Dutch meeting)|
|3.4 Wikimedia presence at FOSDEM and similar conferences||€ 750,00||€ 900,00||€ -150,00||Overspend on flyers for Fosdem (800€), travel costs General Assembly and public events|
|1.4 Unbudgetted general administrative expences||€ 0,00||€115,00||€ -115,00||unforeseen expences|
|Totals :||€ 7810||€ 3935||€ 3875|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 7810 €
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 7810 €
- Total amount spent on this project
3805€revised 3935 €
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
3805€revised 3875 €
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 3875 €
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- 4005 € TO be reallocated for next grant submission WMBE Budget 2015 S2 (september - december 2015)