Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report/2014-01
- Interim report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page.
- Please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report to comment on or read the final report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Compliance and completion
- Are you complying with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Do you expect this project to be completed by the date specified in the approved grant submission?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Was this interim report requested by WMF?
Activities and lessons learned
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
- Travel reimbursement for photographers - our volunteers take large amounts of pictures on a variety of Czech-related topics (e.g., protected areas, Czech villages) by a wide range of participants. The grant has developed healthy and functioning communities of photographers. People take pictures during the year, then report their expenses in a freely-accessible Tracker and are reimbursed for their travel expenses.
- Photographic equipment - none has been bought yet. There are some requests for on certain technical equipment but no purchases have been made.
- Workshops - A weekend workshop, partially paid from the "Mediagrant II" grant, took place in the town of Přibyslav on 9th-12th May 2014. 12 photographers, encyclopedians and GLAM experts took part in this event in the birthplace of Ján Otto, Czech Republic's greatest encyclopedian of all time. The overall goal was to improve Wikipedia content on the town of Přibyslav. More than 900 pictures have been uploaded, 64 new articles have been were written and a total of 250 kilobytes was added to Wikipedia. Two online volunteers also helped with the article improvement. Blog post in Czech here. See images here and list of participants here. The workshop connected writing articles with acquiring related media, something which was stressed by the grant committee in past talks. Further workshops are being planned.
- Administration - in past, frustration with the administrative work has been a certain burden for the grant committee. This has been solved in 2014 when an open call for a grant administrator was featured on many related pages. The position is designed to serve both this grant and the Presentation & Outreach II grant, and is reimbursed from both grants equally. Milada Moudrá was selected as the best applicant out of six, and she now works as the grant administrator to our complete satisfaction. Minor administrative expenses, i. e. stationery, were reimbursed to here.
- Other activities - the grant committee also:
- organized an exhibition featuring protected areas documented by participants of this project - in the building of the Czech Academy of Sciences and then in the visitor centre of the Průhonice park;
- published a blog post on Tracker, our expense tracking system, on the Wikimedia blog;
- wrote a learning pattern on the Tracker usage;
- met with Oldrich Hlinka from the "Kulturní kompas" NGO to discuss cooperation;
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- Make things as easy as possible for volunteers, and fun.
- Keep track of your expenses using an expense tracker that anyone can view and edit.
- Make up some goals of the project (such as documentation of all villages) and keep track of the progress using Google maps and statistical evaluation.
- Cooperate with photography-related organizations.
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
- We need more cooperation with NGOs and official organizations in the field of photography.
- We should find more ways to outreach to professional photographers who often have unused stocks of pictures valuable for Commons. Similarly we should call upon eg. people from the countryside to take pictures of their village
- We want to improve media coverage.
- From your answers above, do you plan to change anything you are doing as your project continues?
- Progressing from "community support" and reimbursement towards "outreach" is crucial but currently limited by a lack of volunteer work and/or will. Related efforts in Wikimedia Czech Republic are likely to address this in near future and we will keep you informed.
Project goal and measures of success
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- The goal of "Mediagrant II" is to continue with the activities of Mediagrant as primary target and maintain and further develop existing community of photographers as our second objective.
- Do you expect to reach your project's goal? Why or why not?
- Yes, because documentary work is going perfectly right now, attracting quite a lot of people from outside the chapter and improving the Czech-related contents of Wikimedia Commons.
Measures of success
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there. Answer only for measures on which you are currently able to report since your project has not been completed.
- Continue to attract new participants
- Each year, create ~8000 pictures of previously undocumented sights
- Document 75% of Czech projected areas during the two-years time period
- Photograph 500 "objects" (towns and villages) during the two-years time period
- Maintain - and develop - the existing photographic communities both online (Facebook) and in real life (during workshops).
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- 17 unique people took part in this part of the program, some of them newbies to the project.
- 7402 pictures were uploaded by participants.
- 74 protected areas were documented
- 518 objects (towns and villages) were already documented
- A successful workshop was organized in Přibyslav, leading to 900 uploaded pictures of a previously poorly documented area
The table below is a breakdown of the photographic achievements in the long-term 'topics' that we currently offer:
|Objects||Photographs||Paid out CZK|
|České zoologické zahrady||Czech Zoos||0||0||0||0|
|Foto českých obcí||Documentation of Czech Municipalities including the smallest ones||57||518||6 249||20 797 (760 €)|
|Lidová tvořivost||Folk craft||1||1||0||2 240 (90 €)|
|Obrazová dokumentace chráněných území a památných stromů v ČR||Documentation of protected Natural Areas and Memorable Trees in the Czech Republic||15||74||1 153||3 567 (130 €)|
|Odborná fotografie||Scientific Photography||0||0||0||0|
|Události||Documentation of important events in the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0|
|Vodstvo||Water bodies of the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0|
|Židovské památky||Documentation of Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0|
|Summary||73||593||7 402||26 604 (970 €)|
- ↑ The journey is not fully evaluated yet
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- We want to track media coverage of workshops. This was low during our first workshop and we want to improve it by learning to deal with media (we just had a workshop with a specialist on this topic)
Remember that you will need to report on your project's impact on WMF's mission and strategic goals in your final report.
We are encouraging new volunteers to start improving Wikimedia projects, especially by uploading multimedia files. We are building a stable community of Czech photographers.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- The receipts are available to the grantmaking team at our online tracker.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Travel reimbursement||Travel expenses for participants||-||-||-||~970||3500||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|2||Equipment||Maintenance of currently owned cameras||-||-||-||0||220||EUR||This expense is expected for the later part of the grant term.|
|2||Equipment||New photographic equipment||-||-||-||0||1400||EUR||This expense is expected for the later part of the grant term.|
|4||Workshops||Weekend workshops||-||1 out of 2||-||450||1200||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|3||Workshops||One-day workshops||-||0 out of 4||-||0||480||EUR||-|
|4||Administration||Accountancy||-||-||-||0||792||EUR||Our grant administrator currently serves both this grant and Presentation and Outreach. This year, she is reimbursed from the latter, next year, she is going to be paid from Mediagrant - for simplicity reasons.|
|4||Administration||Other expenses||-||-||-||6||130||EUR||Includes a print toner and minor stationery.|
Zkontrolovat stav účtu a srovnat se stavem zde.
- Total amount spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 39 090.00 CZK (approx. 1420 €)
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 39 090.00 CZK (approx. 1420 €)
- Based on your spending, will you need to request any changes to your budget? If you do, please see the guidelines for requesting changes to your budget.