- Official project name
- Wikimedia Philippines Annual Program Plan for 2014
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 1 January 2014
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 31 December 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- The proposed grant is intended for the general operations of Wikimedia Philippines for its 2014 fiscal year. It also includes projects which will allow the chapter to refocus on Wikipedia editing related activities ranging from the series of editing workshops conducted by a hired trainor, providing incentives to active contributors as well as outreach to other Philippine language Wikipedia communities in the country.
- Currency requested
- Philippine pesos (PHP/₱)
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- US$ ≈ ₱44.40 (per Central Bank of the Philippines)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Philippines, Inc.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Organization (Wikimedia chapter)
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Primary contact name
- Eugene Villar
- Primary contact username or email
- eugene at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Additional contact name
- Roel Balingit
- Additional contact username or email
- roel dot balingit at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Additional contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- see list below
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goals
- The general goal of this proposal is to provide Wikimedia Philippines, its officers and members with the needed resources in order to stabilize its operation, consolidate its efforts through projects that are most relevant to its purposes and participate in other Wikimedia activities outside the Philippines. This proposal departs from the usual submission of project proposals on a piecemeal basis without a guarantee of a follow-up project that will complement what has been started. It also lays down Wikipedia-oriented projects that are the core of its founding and the primary reason why it was able to gather a good number of members in the more than three years it has been operating.
- On the other hand, this proposal already sees the chapter's compliance with local regulations with regard to the the minimum requirement of expenditure for projects with respect to administrative expenses. It should be noted that this does not prevent the chapter from initiating other projects during the period of this proposal's implementation, especially when the Tagalog Wikipedia has just turned 10 years last December 1. As the chapter has begun the process of decentralizing the creation and implementation of projects by assisting its locally organized non-Manila based communities to start planning on projects that will benefit them especially their own language Wikipedias, we are also anticipating projects to come from them during the implementation of this proposal. It also aims to have the active involvement of its members in these projects as among the organizers and not merely participants.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
The chapter will consider this proposal a success if the following are attained:
On the Administrative part
- The chapter will remain fully compliant with the Wikimedia Foundation and no grant report will be on "Past Due" status.
- Conduct at least four (4) membership meetings, apart from the Annual Meeting in May.
- Have an additional 20 new members for the entire year.
- Post meetings minutes online not later than 30 days, unless the Board determines the discussion is classified.
- Update the chapter website's main page every month.
- Publish and distribute the 2013 Annual Report in time for the 2014 Annual Membership Meeting
- Submit all regularly requirements on time avoiding penalties because of late submissions.
- Actively involve at least ten members and have them form part of the organizing committee of the projects (list below) and not merely as participants.
Project specific measures
- Philippine Wikimedia Communities
- Local communities will hold at least two (2) meetups in the course of the year.
- Local communities will implement at least one (1) project related to content under the scope of the community in the course of the year
- Wikipedia Rewards Program
- Within the first three months, at least 50 contributors will avail of low-level rewards (rewards for creating an account, reaching 100 edits, etc.)
- Within the first six months, of those 50 editors, at least half will avail of medium- to high-level rewards (rewards for DYK, GA/FA/FL/FP, cleanup, etc.)
- Within six months of the end of the program, at least 15 editors will continue editing Wikipedia despite not receiving rewards
- Wikipedia Edit-a-thons
- Conduct 6 edit-a-thons
- At least half of all participants will continue editing within six months after the conclusion of the workshop program
- Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines exhibit
- Holding of another GLAM-related project in 2014.
- Closer partnership with Philippine cultural agencies.
- Project start-up fund/Microgrants
- Five editors will avail of Microgrant funding or two projects will be launched
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Annual Meeting (May 2014)
- Annual membership meeting will be scheduled to be held in the second half of May 2014. The annual gathering of members is a regulatory requirement and a venue for the President and Treasurer to report before the membership body of the accomplishments and financial status of the chapter as well as directly answer queries about the state of the chapter. Elections for five members of the Board will also take place in this 2014 meeting.
- Quarterly Board meetings
- While officers of the chapter may meet as often as needed, the Board of Trustees will bring back the regularity of scheduled quarterly physical meetings to address organization matters and to follow up on the implementation of the activities and reporting requirements of the organization. By holding these meetings, the officers can avoid the chapter from being non-compliant with the reportorial requirements of the Wikimedia Foundation. It is also an opportunity to encourage members to attend these meetings for them to be abreast with the developments in the organizations and be involved in the decision-making process by providing their input.
Please note that the chapter is not limited to the following projects for 2014. The projects listed so far are those with their respective leads who will be in charge of executing them.
- Wikimedia conferences participation
- The chapter values its participation in international Wikimedia conferences where it is immersed in the movement, gets to share and learn from the best practices of every chapter, exchange ideas and share their experiences with fellow Wikimedians.
- Philippine Wikimedia Communities (year-long)
- Since February 2012, the chapter has begun reaching out to Wikimedians outside the periphery of Manila, it organized these into Philippine Wikimedia Communities. Their respective Wikipedia language projects serve as the backbone of their community. Of the 13 major Philippine languages, 8 have their own Wikipedia projects, 4 of these have been organized into Philippine Wikimedia Communities namely: Central Bikol, Kapampangan, Pangasinan, Waray-Waray. This does not limit the chapter to aid other individuals/groups which do not have formal organization. The chapter intends to have these communities develop their own projects depending on their capability to advance and revitalize their fledgling Wikipedia projects apart from these members of the Board will make it a point to visit the communities to support their activities and projects. The chapter allocates a small sum for their meet-ups, however should the community require additional funding for their projects, the chapter will assist them secure funding for their projects.
- Wikipedia Rewards Program (year-long, targeted to roll-out by March)
- The Wikipedia Rewards program is an incentive program for local editors/contributors of Wikimedia projects. It will give away Wikipedia merchandise who would:
- There will also be quality checks to ensure that their edits (measured by bytes change) are not habitually minor edits just so they can reach the required number of edits to earn the reward merchandise. Also, they should not be involved in vandalizing pages.
- The types or merchandise to be given will depend on the type of their contribution. Lower value merchandise like pens and ID lanyards may be given to those who have registered or made their first set of edits, while higher value merchandise bags, shirts, jackets, umbrellas, aluminum sports bottles would be given to those who have much more significant contributions.
- Wikipedia Edit-a-thons (year-long)
- Community meet-ups will be worthwhile if editing activities are also conducted. This project commits the chapter to its core purpose of actively promoting Wikipedia by providing a regular activity where new users get to learn from more experienced users side-by-side and thresh-out any issues on an article. The chapters will make its references available during this activity.
- Reference materials (year-long)
- The budget for reference materials is a necessary component of further developing Philippine content in Wikipedia. The chapter will make these available during edit-a-thons or as may be requested by other Wikimedia communities in the country.
- Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines exhibit (May)
- This exhibit will feature the best photos in the two years that Wiki Loves Monuments has been held in the Philippines. It is targeted to be held at the gallery of the National Commission on Culture on the Arts or at the National Museum during the National Heritage month celebrations in May. The exhibit will showcase the contribution of the Wikimedia movement in the country in documenting Filipino cultural heritage and how these images were made available to the public, especially when several cultural heritage landmarks/sites were damaged/destroyed by the Bohol–Cebu earthquake and by Typhoon Haiyan.
- Project start-up fund/Microgrants (year-long)
- Is earmarked for small (cost) projects that may be proposed during the year amounting to no more than ₱10,000 ($232). Any project-related spending bigger than the amount will be assisted to file for a separate grant request. The same fund will also be tapped for Microgrants that will provide funding for local contributors who need materials to create/improve Wikipedia articles especially those that will focus on Philippine-related content. Targeted articles must not be well written or not yet existing before such Microgrants can be provided.
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Item description||Qty. & Unit||Cost per unit||Budgeted total||In US$||Notes|
|1.01||Annual registration and business permits||–||–||₱10,000||$226|
|1.02||Provision for tax||–||–||₱7,000||$158|
|1.03||Rent (virtual office & storage)||12 months||₱13,000||₱156,000||$3,514||The chapter maintains a non-commercial room as storage of its equipment which the virtual office service provider cannot accommodate or if it would do so at a much higher rate.|
|1.06||Professional fees||–||–||₱18,000||$406||Includes external auditor, bookkeeper, notarial and legal services. Fees of the auditor has considerably increased as the Bureau of Internal Revenue has become very strict in ensuring compliance even on non-profit organizations.|
|1.07||Outsourced admin services||12 mos.||₱1,200||₱14,400||$325||For regular admin errands (i.e. Filing tax returns, paying utilities, office maintenance)|
|1.09||Representation/Transportation/Fuel expenses/meeting expenses||–||–||₱48,000||$1,081||The chapter has a non-Manila based Board member, which may require her to go to Manila as often as physical meetings will be called.|
|1.10||Prepaid Internet||–||–||₱8,000||$181||The chapter has a pocket wifi router|
|1.11||Banking fees/charges/check book/remittance fee||–||–||₱1,500||$34|
|1.12||Domain renewal||–||–||₱9,900||$223||Renewal of WMPH domains: www.wikimedia.org.ph which are expiring in May 2014. Minimum renewal period is two years.|
|1.14||Admin contingency fund||–||–||₱17,760||$400|
|2||Annual General Meeting||₱123,375||$2,781|
|2.3||Annual Report Publication||50||₱300||₱15,000||$338||Printing costs are higher for smaller volume|
|2.6||Project management||–||–||₱15,000||$338||Includes transportation, meal allowance and other incidental expenses during project preparation/|
|2.7||Logistical support/PA/documentation team||–||–||₱5,000||$113|
|2.8||Scholarships||–||–||₱40,000||$901||Includes fare, accommodation and food|
|3||Fixed assets||₱138,500||$3,123||All assets are placed under the custody of the chapter and are turned to succeeding officers/management of the WMPH. These are also reported as "capital investment" in the annual financial statements of the chapter.|
|3.1||Automatic document scanner (Brother ADS–2100)||1||₱25,000||₱25,000||$563||The equipment is very much needed primarily for the imaging of expense documents. Currently, the Treasurer's personal flatbed scanner is used and takes a lot of time to scan and digitize receipts.|
|3.2||4–Layer Lateral filing cabinet||1||₱15,000||₱15,000||$338||The chapter intends to maximize the use of the room it maintains for storage and convert it to a small meeting room to be used whenever its virtual office provider is not available on holidays and Sundays when most of the Board is available to meet.|
|3.5||Large Whiteboard with rollers||1||₱8,000||₱8,000||$181|
|3.6||Bookshelf with glass door||1||₱10,500||₱10,500||$237|
|3.8||Other office furniture||–||–||₱10,000||$226|
|3.8||Laptop||–||–||₱45,000||$1,014||This item was previously included in the proposed Editing Workshops and was planned to be similarly used for other chapter activities especially when presentation is required to avoid renting a laptop.|
|4||Wikimedia conferences participation||₱411,840||$9,276|
|4.1||Wikimedia Chapters Conference||2 reps.||₱15,000||₱30,000||$676||Visa fees and incidental expenses (removed airfare and accommodation, already presented by WMDE). WMPH will apply for scholarships.|
|4.2||Wikimania 2014||2 reps.||₱102,120||₱204,240||$4,600||Includes airfare, accommodation, food allowance, visa fees, travel taxes and registration fees|
|4.3||2 Other Wikimedia conferences/meetings (GLAMcamp, Hackathon, etc.)||1||₱88,800||₱177,600||$4,000||Includes airfare, accommodation, food allowance, visa fees, travel taxes|
|5||Philippine Wikimedia Communities||₱30,000||$676|
|5.1||Communities General Fund||–||₱30,000||₱30,000||$676||Fund shall be used for visiting communities to gauge the projects that will benefit them.|
|6||Wikipedia merchandise, promotional materials/Wikipedia Rewards||₱51,400||$1,158|
|6.1||Manufacture of Wikipedia merchandise||–||–||₱44,400||$1,000||Umbrellas, aluminum sports water bottles, shirts, pens, stickers, ID lanyards, USB ballers|
|6.2||Shipping||–||–||₱7,000||$158||Merchandise shall be couriered especially if the contributor is not based in Manila where the merchandise will be stored.|
|7.1||Participant food||6||₱4,000||₱24,000||$541||Six edit-a-thons will be scheduled for the year.|
|8.1||Kasaysayan – The Story of the Filipino People (10 vol. encyclopedia)||1 set||₱6,000||₱6,000||$136|
|8.2||Other reference materials (dictionaries, language studies, etc.)||–||–||₱10,000||$226|
|9.1||Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines Exhibit||–||–||₱80,000||$1,802||Targeted to be at the National Museum/National Commission on Culture and the Arts|
|9.2||General GLAM-Wiki Fund||–||–||₱10,000||$223||Meeting/coordination expenses for prospective projects|
|10||General project funds||₱20,000||$451|
|10.1||Project startup fund/Microgrants||₱20,000||$451||Amount will be used as start-up for small projects that may be initiated by members. Projects that require bigger funding shall file an entirely separate grant.|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- Project leads
Note: WMF will be notified of any changes in its composition/contact/lead person during the implementation of the grant and of the proposed projects.
- The Board of Trustees of Wikimedia Philippines will be the main implementing body of the proposal. General administration will be the responsibility of the officers, who report and are checked by the Board. As of date the following are the chapter officers:
- Philippine Wikimedia Communities which is under the Board will be under the general supervision of Pao Barazon (Chairman) and Vanj Padilla (Vice Chair). They will oversee the implementation of projects for the communities.
- Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines exhibit program will be handled by the chapter's GLAM-Wiki team which includes Roel Balingit, Jenna Delos Reyes and Emman Ramirez.
- Previous reports
- The chapter has been in operation for three years and has completed several projects which are funded through grants from WMF:
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- 1. Organizational maturity and effectiveness.
- The chapter will be on its fourth year in 2014; it has initial successes, however some of its organizational strengths in the past years have already become challenges. This proposal is will help revive the wilting interests of its members by continuously evaluating and assessing its performance to find its relevance among them. It has among its plans of codifying its procedures and providing a grievance mechanism of members and bringing back the quarterly membership meetings.
- 2. Quality.
- By providing an allocation for Reference Materials, this proposal would like to have these reference readily available especially during Wikipedia workshops and training as there is not a lot of Philippine-related references online. The Wikipedia Rewards Program addresses also this strategy by motivating old and new editors and/or uploaders to contribute more good quality articles in wikipedia and provide more photos with best quality images in Wikimedia Commons.
- 3. Increasing reach and participation.
- The Wikipedia Editing Workshops addresses these two strategies, as it will be a ground work project that will purposely provide the needed information for them to contribute as their successive contributions will also be monitored to determine the success of the workshops. The Microgrants program also in a way addresses these two strategies, as it will ensure that there will be output when a contributor seeks funding through it.
- 4. Strengthening partnerships and forging new networks.
- The Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines exhibit strengthens our existing partnerships with the National Commission on Culture and Arts (NCCA) and forge potential networks with The National Museum and with other organizations that have similar interests in national cultural heritage and arts.
- 5. Empower communities.
- The Communities General Fund is an aid in the form on financial assistance to help the communities facilitate in organizing and supporting local community meetings and rolling out Chapter's activities in the communities. This empowers the communities by encouraging them to become more innovative in providing their own ideas and implement their own projects with close supervision and funding assistance from the Chapter.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- The workshops/training in this grant will benefit the English Wikipedia, Tagalog Wikipedia and other Philippine language Wikipedias, especially those which have been organized as Philippine Wikimedia Communities namely Bikol, Kapampangan, Waray-Waray and Pangasinan as the organization will pursue regular contacts with them in order to enable these communities plan/create/implement their own projects suitable to the revitalization of their respective Wikipedias. It will also attempt to benefit Tagalog Wiktionary and Wikimedia Commons, through its editing workshops and photo upload campaigns.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The proposal encompasses several scopes that involves organizational development, outreach, GLAM and editor retention.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- If successfully implemented, the projects have potential to be replicated because the Chapter structured these projects to be easily adapt by our communities and other groups. The Chapter also ensure that all phases of the projects, including lessons learned and success indicators, will be thoroughly documented for easy references by our communities and by other individuals, groups, or organizations that have interest or incline to do similar or related projects.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The chapter is in the phase when it has to capitalize on its growing membership and attempt to keep the interest of their members in the organization by rolling-out projects that will fulfill the primary reason of their joining in the first place, at the same time fulfill their regulatory and reporting obligations. The projects will prevent the Chapter from becoming an organization where its members have lost interest.
- The projects should also create new partnerships with non-traditional networks such as the national government (NG), the local government units (LGUs), non-government organizations/non-profit organizations (NGOs/NPOs), and other groups in voluntary sector of our country.
- The projects will encourage our communities to develop content partnerships with cultural institutions in their geographic area.