Grants:PEG/WM RS/Wiki Loves Monuments in Serbia - 2013
- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 – Serbia
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 1 June 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
23 November 20137 December 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 - Serbia is a continuation of participation in the global Wiki Loves Monuments project - competition which aims to collect as many free images of monuments.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- 2,313.78 (If you accept this request, €1,743.94 can be reallocated from unspent budget for CEE 2012 Conference and WLM 2012 grant. In that case, we will need only €569,84 more)
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- ~ 3,040.54
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- http://www.bancaintesa.rs/code/navigate.aspx?Id=48 on 20 July 2013
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Serbia
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- EX: 4 fulltime staff and 2 part-time contractors (50% each).
- 1 fulltime staff and 2 contractors for Creative Commons web cite.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- EX: A complete list of staff and contractors is available at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors.
- Primary contact name
- Mile Kiš
- Primary contact username or email
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Secretary General
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Branko Žuljković
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Co-organizer and project leader
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- WLM 2013 is a sequel to the last years successful WLM competition organized in Serbia. The main goal of this competition is gathering and posting as many quality photographs of the cultural monuments under a free license as possible. Second goal of this project is quality improvement of the Wikimedia projects through usage of the gathered photographs. This project should as well stimulate writing of the new articles about the monuments of which the photographs are gathered.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- Success of this project should be measure through following subjects:
- number of participants (>100 participants)
- number of images collected (3000+ files)
- Inclusion in the media (20+ mentions)
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Contacting the institutions in order to obtain updated list of monuments
- Updating of the Wikipedia lists
- Writing announcements for media
- Leading the campaign on social networks
- Designing and distribution of the promotional material
- Organization of the competition and technical aid
- Organization of the prize giving event
- Organization of at least two displays
- Informing the internal and external community of the competition, results and plans
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||I, II and III prizes||1 package||3 technical gadgets or 3 vouchers||n/a||658,41||€||I prize ~ €307.2, II prize ~ €219.47 and III prize ~ €131,74|
|2||T-shirts||T-shirts||1 T-shirt per person||20 T-shirts||~8.77||175,57||€||T-shirts for 20 persons|
|3||Event(s)||press conferences, prize-giving event and mini-exhibition||702.30||€||prass conference & prize-giving event where we'll announce the winners|
|3||Organizator||250 fee + tax and benefits 63% =407,5||€||Organizer will take care about press conferences, prize-giving event and mini-exhibition including pre-competitive activities (preparation of lists of monuments, creation and distribution of promotional materials, etc.)|
|4||Printing materials||270||€||promotional materials and printing photo|
|5||Others||100||€||reserves and unexpected costs|
- Total cost of project
- €2,313.78 + website maintenance (in kind)
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Sponsorships, when available (no high expectations though)
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- Not for now
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Evidence of the success of last year http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_RS/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_in_Serbia_2012/Report
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- The last year`s results have shown us that gathering protohgraphs through the WLM competition help raising the quality of the articles on Wikipedia. Thanks to WLM, numerous articles on Wikipedia have gained photographs regarding a subject they process. WLM 2013 will continue gathering photographs that will supplement Wikipedia`s base of free photographs of cultural monuments of Serbia. Also, with the arrival of new photographs, grows the potential for working on the articles related to the monuments, geographical localities or writing the new articles. Thanks to propositions, the competition attracts a lot of new users of Wikimedia Commons. The last years` data also show that the project is well accepted by medias in Serbia and that it has been mentioned in 63 articles. This has greatly contributed to the promotion of the WLM goal, Commons and Wikipedia. Also, through working with the institutions on gathering the lists of monuments streghtens healthy relations with the state institutions and contributes bto better cooperation.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project benefits both Serbian Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. Through gathering of the new photographs, articles on Vikipedia will gain a visual display of the topic which they concern, and Wikimedia Commons will expand its repository with photoghraphs from Serbia. This project will also bring benefit to all other Wikipedias, or articles on other languages which regard Serbian cultural heritage, architecture and history.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- WLM competition contributes to raising awareness about the importance of free information and content. It brings to the development of cooperation with institutions and other partners, which leads to growth of Wikimedia's credibility. Indirectly, it also promotes GLAM projects, even though we cannot say without a doubt that Wiki Loves Monuments is one of the GLAM projects. Since WLM helps the growth Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia directly, we can say that it helps the main goal of Wikimedia, which is the development of the free knowledge accessible to everyone.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- Wikimedia Serbia has already had a lot of success with this project last year. By participating again this year in the global WLM competition, we will give a strong support to the goals of this photo competition and also show that a project can be successfully accomplished in the Balkans to anyone not participating or thinking of joining this project.