Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Community Brazilian Group of Education and Research/Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2015/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
- created and edited all the pages with the necessary information about the project on Portuguese Wikipedia (1-20 April);
- created and edited all the flyers, banners, documents and everything necessary for online and off-line marketing (1-30 April);
- formed the jury for the competition (1-10 May);
- promotion of the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites, blogs and important photographers sites (20 April-31 May);
- open the uploading of photographs on Wikimedia Commons (1-31 May);
- evaluation of the photographs uploaded (5-20 June);
- official announcement of the winners of the Brazilian competition (22 June);
- submitted the best photographs to participate in the global competition (June/July);
- published all the results in a printed magazine. (confirmed and published by Fotograge Melhor in August)
- evaluating the project and compiling results (July/August).
- Photo exhibition planned and launched during the Wikipedia 15 at Rio de Janeiro (November/March);
- WLE 2015 Edit-a-thon / Photos
- Social networks campaigns to bring new contributors to the movement
- Facebook paid ads, that was responsible by great part of the new users engagement
- Partnerships with photo blogs and specialized portals gave us good visibility among professional photographers, improving the general quality of photos received compared with the 2014 edition
- What didn't work?
- The pictures filtering process did not work very well, during the contest and after the end of the campaign the level of community contributions was too small, so we had to invite external people to help us with the filtering process.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Confirm the support from community or specialized partners(universities/students/teachers) to help us with the filtering process to improve the results of the pictures to be evaluated by the jury and to have the job done quickly.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Original goals and metrics
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Yes, we achieved the main goals, including the number of photos loaded, number of participants and new users engagement. Using the tools developed for the contest we checked the main measures of success defined in the original project.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|at least 400 participants uploading one photograph or more||1935 uploaders|
|at least 5,000 photos uploaded;||12.027 photos||Our social media strategy and media partnerships were crucial to reach that numbers.|
|at least 15% of photos used on Wikipedia;||436 photos used, 261 distinct (2.01% of all images of category WLE Brasil 2015)||To improve the photos usage we will need to improve our monuments lists to generate better meta-data for the next contests and organize more thematic edit-a-thons to improve the pictures usage on Wikipedia. Since the number of pictures for that edition was too hight compared to our previsions, we was not able to reach the proportion of pictures usage proposed in our grant request. During the next months we will try to organize new edit-a-thons to improve the pictures usage on Wikipedia and other wikimedia projects, that goal is hard to reach without a huge community engagement.|
|at least 50% of new users engagement during the contest;||95% of new users engagement (1838 new users registered on commons during the contest)||Based on our studies, Facebook was very important to bring new people to the contest. Using paid ads we reach a huge number of people interested in photography on facebook.|
|at least 10 new articles about natural heritage sites in Brasil;||14 articles improved|
|at least 10% of new user retention after 2 months of the contest.||6,87% - 133 users and 1626 photos uploaded after the contest|
- TechTudo Portal G1: Wiki Loves Earth 2015: concurso do Wikipédia vai premiar fotos do Brasil
- Fotografia DG: Grupo Wikimedia Brasileiro anuncia concurso fotográfico Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2015 – Patrimônio Natural
- Papo de Fotografo: Wiki Loves Earth Brasil 2015
- Portal Photo: Entrevista e anuncio do concurso WLE 2015
- Portal de Notícias da Escola de Comunicação da UFRJ: Inscrições abertas para o concurso fotográfico Wiki Loves Earth Brasil
- Portal da Revista Fotografe Melhor: Não perca: Concurso Wiki Loves Earth Brasil vai até 31 de maio - See more at: http://www.fotografemelhor.com.br/grande-angular/nao-perca-concurso-wiki-loves-earth-brasil-vai-ate-31-de-maio/#sthash.PvXmhHf8.dpuf
- REA Brasil: Wikipedia realiza concurso Wiki Loves Earth 2015
- Blog Sanduiche Visual: Anuncio do concurso
- Ale Carolo Fotografia: WLE 2015 aceita fotografias até 31 de maio
- Blog do Valberlucio: Concurso fotografico WLE 2015
- Blog Fundaplub: Concurso WLE 2015
- Posts engagement: 1341
- Page likes: 2.500
- Reach: 40.920 people
- Followers: 125
- Tweets: 50
- Posts engagement: 120
- Reach: 90.000 people
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||12||Editors that contributed with the contest pages and contest planning/execution|
|2. # of new editors||1838||New users registered on commons during the contest uploading at least one picture to the contest|
|3. # of individuals involved||1935||Number of participants in the contest|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||436/261||436 photos used, 261 distinct (2.01% of all images of category WLE Brasil 2015)|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||12.027||New pictures uploaded during the contest|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||436||Number of articles improved and illustrated with pictures from the contest|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- During and after the contest all activities were published on mail lists and pt.wikipedia/commons. All posts received a good attention from our community that provided a lot of good feedback, including some support in key activities like contest promotion on social networks and monuments pages improvements on pt.wiki. Since this kind of contest is new for our community, based on the positive feedback we feel that this initiative motivated some contributors to join us for the next activities and contests.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Through the WLE Brasil 2015 we brought 1838 new users to commons(95% of new users engagement) with an user retention of 6,87% (133 users and 1626 photos uploaded after the end of thecontest)
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- Bringing new good quality photos, the WLE Brasil 2015 helped to improve many articles around national natural heritage with pictures used in more than 40 projects
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item Description||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Notes|
|1||Prizes||1 place – best photo – Ruy Carvalho||1||R$ 2.000,00||R$ 2.000,00||DOC 1|
|2||Prizes||2 place – best photo – Donatas Dabravolskas||1||R$ 1.500,00||R$ 1.500,00||DOC 2|
|3||Prizes||3 place – best photo – Caio Ribeiro Vilela||1||R$ 1.000,00||R$ 1.000,00||DOC 3|
|4||Prizes||1 place – best contribution – Jonathan Wilkins||1||R$ 2.000,00||R$ 2.000,00||DOC 4|
|5||Prizes||2 place – best contribution – Germano Shuur||1||R$ 1.500,00||R$ 1.500,00||DOC 5|
|6||Prizes||3 place – best contribution – Artur Wachavchik||1||R$ 1.000,00||R$ 1.000,00||DOC 6|
|7||Designer||Designer paid to create promotional material, social network pictures, photo exhibition banners and etc||1||R$ 600,00||R$ 600,00||DOC 7|
|8||Swag/Trip/Mail||Airfare – Expotec João Pessoa – Presentation/Meetings with photographers and local photo clubs||1||R$ 1.425,42||R$ 1.425,42||DOC 10|
|9||Swag/Trip/Mail||Airfare – CAVA Novo Hamburgo – Presentation/Meetings with local photographers and universities||1||R$ 843,15||R$ 843,15||DOC 11|
|10||Swag/Trip/Mail||Airfare – Latinoware – Presentation||1||R$ 1.879,59||R$ 1.879,59||DOC 12|
|11||Swag/Trip/Mail||Wikimedia Ukraine Calendars – Shipment+Taxes (DHL)||1||R$ 202,60||R$ 202,60||DOC 13|
|12||Swag/Trip/Mail||Mail shipment||1||R$ 13,15||R$ 13,15||DOC 14|
|13||Swag/Trip/Mail||Office supplies||1||R$ 92,32||R$ 92,32||DOC 14|
|14||Swag/Trip/Mail||Facebook Ads (6 promoted publications)||1||R$ 248,89||R$ 248,89||DOC 15|
|15||Swag/Trip/Mail||Bus trip – Pedro Napolitano SP/NITEROI||1||R$ 124,47||R$ 124,47||DOC 16|
|16||Swag/Trip/Mail||Bus trip – Pedro Napolitano NITEROI/SP||1||R$ 134,50||R$ 134,50||DOC 16|
|17||Photo Exhibition||Sinalization/boards||2||R$ 32,00||R$ 64,00||DOC 9|
|18||Photo Exhibition||QR codes + photo information||16||R$ 6,00||R$ 96,00||DOC 9|
|19||Photo Exhibition||Photos (international contest)||16||R$ 65,00||R$ 1.040,00||DOC 9|
|20||Photo Exhibition||Photos+frames (national contest)||20||R$ 1.040,00||R$ 20.800,00||DOC 17|
|21||Photo Exhibition||Cake (Wikipedia 15 + WLE)||2||R$ 165,00||R$ 330,00||DOC 21|
|22||Photo Exhibition||Cupcakes (Wikipedia 15 + WLE)||60||R$ 4,50||R$ 270,00||DOC 21|
|23||Photo Exhibition||Cake+cupcakes delivery||1||R$ 30,00||R$ 30,00||DOC 21|
|24||Photo Exhibition||Coffee Break||1||R$ 700,00||R$ 700,00||DOC 18|
|25||Photo Exhibition||Taxi – Meeting||1||R$ 13,00||R$ 13,00||DOC 19|
|26||Photo Exhibition||Taxi – Meeting||1||R$ 18,00||R$ 18,00||DOC 19|
|27||Photo Exhibition||Taxi – Meeting||1||R$ 15,00||R$ 15,00||DOC 19|
|28||Photo Exhibition||Taxi – Materials transportation||1||R$ 62,00||R$ 62,00||DOC 19|
|29||Photo Exhibition||Taxi – Materials transportation||1||R$ 70,00||R$ 70,00||DOC 19|
|30||Photo Exhibition||Edit-a-thon + wikipedia 15 lunch||1||R$ 76,28||R$ 76,28||DOC 18|
|31||Photo Exhibition||Edit-a-thon + wikipedia 15 lunch||1||R$ 31,90||R$ 31,90||DOC 18|
|32||Photo Exhibition||Edit-a-thon + wikipedia 15 lunch||1||R$ 36,00||R$ 36,00||DOC 18|
|33||Photo Exhibition||Gallery repair - Spackling||1||R$ 19,90||R$ 19,90||DOC 20|
|34||Photo Exhibition||Gallery repair – Wall paint||1||R$ 279,90||R$ 279,90||DOC 20|
|35||Photo Exhibition||Gallery repair – Wall sandpaper||2||R$ 1,10||R$ 2,20||DOC 20|
|36||Photo Exhibition||Gallery repair – Sponge||1||R$ 6,90||R$ 6,90||DOC 20|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- R$25.827,48 (USD$8,700.00)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- R$25.827,48 (USD$8,700.00)
- Total amount spent on this project
- R$ 38.525,17
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- R$25.827,48 (USD$8,700.00)
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- R$12697,69 (R$10.000 Peach Photos - R$2.697,69 Own resources)
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.