This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
A. Organization type
- Mission-aligned organization
B. Organization name
- Green Africa Youth Organization
E. Do you have an account on a Wikimedia project?
E1. Please provide the main Wikimedia Username (required) and Usernames of people related to this proposal.
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Did not apply previously
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
- H1. Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
- H2. Please state the size of these grants from the following options.
- H3. What type of organization (s) did you receive grants from?
- H4. What percentage of your program budget do other funders contribute to?
1. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
1a. Fiscal organization name.
2. Are you legally registered?
3. What type of organization are you?
- Non profit organisation
4. What is your organization or group's mission and how does it align with the Wikimedia movement?
- The work of YCC aligns strongly with Wikimedia in terms of capacity building for youth climate activists in Ghana and mutual learning. YCC is committed to the open sharing of knowledge and resources to improve climate awareness in Ghana.
5. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
6. Please state the title of your proposal.
- Building Public awareness of Climate change through Wikipedia
9. Where will this proposal be implemented?
10. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries?
10a. If you have answered international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
10b. Are there any specific sub-regions or areas where your proposal will be implemented?
- The project will focus on all 16 regions of Ghana. The workshop will be organized in two folds- an in-person workshop targeted at members in the Greater Accra region. And also virtual training for members across the 16 regions of Ghana.
11. What is the challenge or problem you are addressing and why is this important?
- The workshop is aimed at enlightening and empowering Youth Environmental Activists within the Youth Climate Council Ghana network on how they can use Wikipedia to Build Public awareness of Climate change in Ghana. We have a large network of Youth Environmental Activist who are passionate about achieving great impact in contributing to a sustainable environment and creating more awareness about climate change. By building their capacity with theoretical and practical knowledge on Wikipedia editing, these activists will be able to channel part of their passion to enhancing and increasing visibility of climate information about Ghana and Africa at large on the web as the knowledge gaps on climate information about Africa on Wikipedia remains wide.
Participants will be equipped with theoretical and practical knowledge on Wikipedia editing and climate change. This will fully equip them to be able to edit and share climate information on Wikipedia.
12. What is the main objective of your proposal? Please state why you think partnering with Wikimedia Movement helps to achieve this objective?
- The work of Wikimedia aligns strongly with the Youth Climate Council. We are committed to enhancing the capacity and awareness of climate change through open-source information.
13. Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective?
- One of our principal strategies is capacity building and training. We continue to equip our members with resources and tools to help them create awareness on climate change across Ghana.
14. Are you running any in-person events or activities?
15. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context)
16. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Climate Change and sustainability
17. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
18. Please tell us more about your target participants.
- The targeted participants for the upcoming workshop are YCC members across Ghana. YCC members are primarily youth climate activists and youth-led environmental organizations. We currently have a membership base of 500 Ghanaian youth.
19. Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
19a. If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We have plans on working with Open Foundation West Africa, a Wikimedia Affiliate on this workshop. The workshop will have both virtual and in-person aspect of it. Together with OFWA, we will circulate to the Wikimedia movement Africa mailing list, WhatsApp, and Telegram platforms.
19b. If no, please tell us the reasons why it has not been possible to make these connections.
20. Will you be working with other external non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
20a. If yes, please describe these partnerships.
20a. If yes, indicate sharing of resources from these partners (in kind support, grants, donations, payments).
21. Please tell us how your organization is structured.
- The Youth Climate Council is run by six National Officers. The portfolios: Project Coordinator, Deputy Project Coordinator, Communications and Outreach Officer, Research and Policy Officer, Capacity Building and Education Officer, Partnerships and Engagement Officer. The Council also works with Regional Focal Points across 10 regions in Ghana.
The Project Coordinator and Deputy Project Coordinator will play supervisory roles and coordinate the entire training
Communications and Outreach Officer - the officer will lead media campaigns and publicity for the Wikimedia project. He will also build the movement for participants to join the training
Research and Policy Officer - the Officer will assess climate policies and identify gaps that will be modeled to fit the proposed training
Education and Capacity Building - the officer will work directly with Wikimedia on the scope of the training and the relevant areas that must be applied. She will also conduct assessment on the effectiveness of the training and successes chalked.
22. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- Role of Youth Climate Council Ghana (YCC)
The role of (YCC) will be to; Coordinate the network of environmental activists across different regions in Ghana to attend the workshop Facilitate publicity of the events Create communication materials Help facilitate virtual and in-person events
Role of OFWA We will be working with the Wikimedia Affiliate in Ghana thus Open Foundation West Africa to help facilitate the training. We thought about this organization to be ideal because they have experienced trainers, existing resources like the office space, projector, tables and chairs that can support us with the in-person workshops.
We have a Mutual partnership with Open Foundation West Africa (OFWA) to support us on this project. As a partner their role will be to; Provide trainers to lead training during the workshop Create/design training materials Provide office space for in-person training
23. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
24. What do you hope to learn from this proposal?
- How many youth activists benefited from the workshop and training?
How many were able to create their Wikipedia user accounts? How many events were successfully held? Were new members able to learn how to edit Wikipedia? Did members understand the connection between Wikipedia and other sister projects?
25. Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants|
|Number of editors|
|Number of organizers|
25a. If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation. (optional)
- 1 Virtual Webinar 50 people to attend
2 In-person Training 30 persons per training 2 virtual Training 30 persons per training 30 articles improved
26. What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
27. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- Support needed
28. How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Create a video of our experience, Share results on social media, Share results with our communities
29. What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 15200 GHS
30. What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 2303 USD
31. & 32. Please provide a budget for the amount of funding requested.
33. What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- We will ensure that we spend within budget and make the right allocation of funds
34. How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- We will ensure that all participants are made aware of the UCOC and friendly space policy and made to adhere to it
35. Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.