This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
A. Organization type
- Mission-aligned organization
B. Organization name
- Association of Legislative Drafters and Advocacy Practitioners (ALDRAP)
E. Do you have an account on a Wikimedia project?
E1. Please provide the main Wikimedia Username (required) and Usernames of people related to this proposal.
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Did not apply previously
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
- H1. Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
- H2. Please state the size of these grants from the following options.
- H3. What type of organization (s) did you receive grants from?
- H4. What percentage of your program budget do other funders contribute to?
1. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
1a. Fiscal organization name.
2. Are you legally registered?
3. What type of organization are you?
- Non profit organisation
4. What is your organization or group's mission and how does it align with the Wikimedia movement?
- The Association of Legislative Drafters and Advocacy Practitioners (ALDRAP) is an association of lawyers and other professionals committed to promoting professionalism of legislative drafting, and advocacy as a means of improving the quality of legislation in Nigeria. ALDRAP promote free access to legal documents, bills, court decisions, proceedings and legislative drafting. This aligns with Wikimedia missions of ensuring that everyone have free access to knowledge.
5. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
6. Please state the title of your proposal.
- Compendium of the Customary Laws (relating to marriage, succession, chieftaincy and Land) of Nigeria (1960-2021)
9. Where will this proposal be implemented?
10. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries?
10a. If you have answered international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
10b. Are there any specific sub-regions or areas where your proposal will be implemented?
11. What is the challenge or problem you are addressing and why is this important?
- Restriction of access to public documents - In Nigeria, works of government including works of the judiciary such as opinions, journals, decisions, orders of the court, oral argument transcripts are protected by copyright and are not freely accessible. Thousands of decisions have been made by the supreme court of Nigeria, the apex court of Nigeria but they are not publicly accessible and permission is often sought to access or use any of the material either for educational purposes or for commercial purposes. Past judicial decisions play a crucial role and have a great influence on subsequent judicial decision-making. Digital copies of past judicial decisions are either unavailable or under strict control by the Supreme Court of Nigeria. Digitization of hard copies of these decisions, releasing them under a free license and contributing them to Wikisource, and hosting them on internet archive in perpetuity would not only be an excellent way to preserve the knowledge but provide unrestricted access to it for use on Wikipedia articles and for reuse outside of Wikimedia projects. We want to address these problems as it constitutes a huge knowledge and content gap on Wikisource. Having these materials released under a free license will grant the public unlimited free access to them either for educational purposes or other purposes.
- Inadequate knowledge of document digitization - Many Wikimedians do not have adequate knowledge of document digitization, an integral part of GLAM (Gallery, Library, Archive, and Museum) projects. This project will hire document digitization specialists who will in turn train Wikimedians on document digitization. From the feedback we collected from Wikimedians in Nigeria, only a handful of Wikimedians have participated in document digitization projects. This suggests that many Wikimedians are in need of knowledge of documents digitization.
- Low contributors to WikiSource from Nigeria - Wikimedians in Nigeria are not familiar with WikiSource. They mostly contribute to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and a handful of users contributing to Wikivoyage. There has been no training or activities relating to WikiSource in Nigeria. We want to address this by training volunteers on how to contribute to Wikisource projects.
12. What is the main objective of your proposal? Please state why you think partnering with Wikimedia Movement helps to achieve this objective?
- Digitization of Compendium of the Customary Laws (relating to marriage, succession, chieftaincy and Land) of Nigeria (1960-2021) under a free license
To Increase content on Wikisource To use the digitized content as references to relevant wikipedia articles Build capacity for new and existing Wikimedia volunteers Collaborate with the Wikimedia Nigeria User Group
13. Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective?
- Release of permission from the Customary Court of Nigeria - The Customary Court of Nigeria has agreed in principle to release all the materials under a free license (CC-BY-SA). The written permission received from the Court will be sent to Commons OTRS team and the license will be shared with the members of the core team.
Collation of the materials - The materials will be collated by volunteers under the supervision of a document documentation specialist and labeled according to the year in which the verdicts were made.
- Training on document scanning and digitization - There would be training for recruited volunteers on document handling, scanning, and digitization. At least 20 new and existing volunteers will be trained. They would in turn help with document scanning and digitization. This is cheaper than hiring multiple document digitization specialists.
- Document scanning and digitization - The materials will be carefully handled, scanned, and converted to electronic documents. ( digital born) All valuable information would be captured by a documentation officer, and the documents would be saved in a drive and a backup central repository for easy retrieval during upload to Wikisource, and the internet archive.
- Documents uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - the digitized documents are uploaded to Wikimedia Commons in a format that could be indexed on Wikisource and under a license that is compatible with Wikimedia Commons (in this case, CC-BY-SA).
- Indexing of uploaded documents on Wikisource : The uploaded documents would be transferred to Wikisource based on advanced instructions for using Index pages.
"Usage of digitally born content" as references on Wikipedia pages by Wikimedians.
14. Are you running any in-person events or activities?
15. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Language, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context)
16. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy
17. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Gender Identity
18. Please tell us more about your target participants.
- Participants would be selected independent of their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, and ethnic group. No prior experience with either document digitization or Wikisource is required to participate. Participants would be selected to participate as document digitization contractors or volunteers, editors on Wikimedia Commons, and Wikisource.
19. Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
19a. If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- The project will work with all the Wikimedia affiliates in Nigeria ( Wikimedia Nigeria User Group, Igbo WIkimedia User Group, Yoruba Wikimedia User Group and Hausa WIkimedia Usergroup)
The link to the notification would be share as soon as this application is published on Meta Wiki so that we can link to it.
19b. If no, please tell us the reasons why it has not been possible to make these connections.
20. Will you be working with other external non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
20a. If yes, please describe these partnerships.
- We will work with the Customary Court of Nigeria. The court is the custodian of the original materials to be digitized. We have gotten an agreement in principle by the court ti release all the focused content to our team.
20a. If yes, indicate sharing of resources from these partners (in kind support, grants, donations, payments).
- In Kind Support... The Court will release the original materials for the project and technical support for the sorting of the materials
21. Please tell us how your organization is structured.
- The structure of our Organisation is as follows:
- 1. Board of Trustees,
- 2. Chairman of the Board of Trustees-Mr. Hillary Onwe
- 3. Secretary/CEO-Dr. Tonye Clinton Jaja
- 4. Secretariat Staff: Ms. Victoria Nimi David (full-time); Mr. Victor Koteh, Accountant (Volunteer Staff).
- 5. Registered Members (188 members)
22. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- Name: Dr. Tonye Clinton Jaja
Title: Project Manager/Lead Consultant
Contact: email@example.com +2349056760119
Roles/Responsibilities: He is responsible for the overall project management
Name: Ms. Victoria Nimi David Title: Legal Personnel. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org+23467684560 Roles/responsibility: Data and documentation officer
- 3. Name: Victor Koteh
Title: Accountant Roles/Responsibilities: A Chartered Accountant responsible for Book-keeping .
- 4. Name: Mr. Jeremiah Eneche
Title: Project Librarian/Information Management Specialist
a. Indexing, catalogue and record keeping (analogue and digital) for the legal documents to be utilized by the project,
- 5. Digital and documentation specialist (To be recruited)
Technical partner (Wikimedia Nigeria User Group )
- 1. Name: Olushola Olaniyan;
Title:Principal Staff/Lead Consultant;
Contact : Shola@wikimedia.org.ng
- 2. Name: Isaac Olatunde
Title: Technical support Contact: email@example.com, Responsibility : He is responsible for providing technical support on Wikimedia Commons, and Wikisource
- 3. Babatunde Asaolu
Title: Documentation Officer Responsibility: Collation, sorting and indexing of original materials for digitization contact: Babatundeasaolu@yahoo.com
23. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
24. What do you hope to learn from this proposal?
- The total number of judgments indexed on Wikisource
- The number of years of judgement digitized and contributed to Wikisource
- The total number community members trained on how to contribute to Wikisource
- The total number community members trained on document handling, and digitization
- The total number of volunteers time invested on the project
- The total number of staff time invested
- Diversity of participants
- What interest participants the most
- The total number of digitized items that can be used as references on relevant Wikis
25. Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||More than 50 people will participate in the project. At least 10 of the participants will be new editors||100|
|Number of editors||At least 20 editors will participate, and at least 10 of the 20 editors will be new editors||50|
|Number of organizers||At least 10 people will be involved in organizing this project||20|
|Wikisource||More than 2,000 judgement of the Supreme Court of Nigeria will be indexed on Wikisource||5000|
|Wikimedia Commons||More than 2,000 judgement of the Supreme Court of Nigeria will be indexed on Wikimedia Commons||5000|
25a. If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation. (optional)
26. What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
27. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- 1. Wikimedia Outreach Dashboard
28. How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Create a video of our experience, Make a short presentation of the experience
29. What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 62500000 NGN
30. What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 125000 USD
31. & 32. Please provide a budget for the amount of funding requested.
33. What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds? We have hired a Chartered Accountant as a member of our Project Team as the "gate-keeper"/book-keeper
34. How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- Our project partners-WIKIMEDIA Nigeria Inc. will handle this aspect
35. Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.