This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
A. Organization type
- Mission-aligned organization
B. Organization name
- Iriza foundation
E. Do you have an account on a Wikimedia project?
E1. Please provide the main Wikimedia Username (required) and Usernames of people related to this proposal.
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Did not apply previously
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
- H1. Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
- H2. Please state the size of these grants from the following options.
- H3. What type of organization (s) did you receive grants from?
- H4. What percentage of your program budget do other funders contribute to?
2. Are you legally registered?
3. What type of organization are you?
- Non profit organisation
4. What is your organization or group's mission and how does it align with the Wikimedia movement?
- We are a community of people believing in knowledge equity distributed through open platforms to empower the youth through innovation and entrepreneurship our main expertise and intervention are in Geospatial technologies and Environmental protection
5. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
6. Please state the title of your proposal.
- Towards youth empowerment , Open platform and innovations in geospatial technologies and environmental protection
9. Where will this proposal be implemented?
- Regional (more than one country in the same continent or region)
10. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries?
10a. If you have answered international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- We intend to implement the project in the Africa great lakes region
10b. Are there any specific sub-regions or areas where your proposal will be implemented?
- Generally the project will be implemented in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda
11. What is the challenge or problem you are addressing and why is this important?
- There is a general worldwide challenge in youth and in the Africa great lakes there is a correlation of youth unemployment and quality education, As a case of study Youth Unemployment Rate in Rwanda increased to 30.90 percent in the second quarter of 2021 from 21.70 percent in the first quarter of 2021 (NISR report , 2021) partly as a result of the COVID -19 and other social vulnerabilities, the same In DRC it has been estimated to more than 20 % . This is one of the main challenges in our region despite the fact that these young people are the cornerstone of the growth as they are the majority today.
There is a growing movement of free knowledge worldwide but in the great lakes region the trend is not as fast as it should and the assumption is that the following facts are the main contributors : the lack of proper engagement , knowledge gap based on poor quality of education and knowledge equity based on the lack of financial resources. The highest performing education systems are those that combine equity with quality according to (OECD research , 2012) and there is a need to improve the access to quality education in Africa ( Center for universal education , 2022) .
Global geospatial technologies markets trends focusing on environmental protection, biodiversity loss , pollution and climate change are estimated to billions of dollars(UN Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management,2022) and opportunities in these fields are on the growth trend in the great lakes region where leapfrog is the way to go .
The main challenge we are tackling is the unemployment in Wikimedia communities contributing with free knowledge and equity and therefore contribute to combat the climate change and other environmental challenges using geospatial technologies from free knowledge platforms
12. What is the main objective of your proposal? Please state why you think partnering with Wikimedia Movement helps to achieve this objective?
- The main objective of our proposal is to contribute to the reduction of Wikimedia youth communities unemployment rate in the great lakes through empowerment with innovative quality education in the use of geospatial technologies applied in the environment protection through free knowledge platforms.
13. Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective?
- Our strategies are grouped in three main components : Youth engagement , Promote free knowledge sharing culture and sharing of incentives
Through a collaboration elaborated under the memorandum of understanding with the Wikimedia communities and individual contributors in the Africa Great Lakes region . We are committed to be innovative and promote integrity in the youth communities as values to attain Knowledge equity, bringing down the cost for the quality of education through motivated voluntary contributions from basic skills to advanced skills in the fields of geospatial technologies applied in environmental protection field.
Among other topics to be covered we will focus on community mapping and landslides monitoring , geodetic receivers applications in proper land use , geospatial data collection and dissemination , climate change awareness and mitigation these will be achieved through a collaborative mechanisms we have established where willing corporates with specializing skills packages engage with the wikimedia communities and provide trainings programs , mentorship and guide the participants to make the contributions to wikimedia platforms especially wiki commons , wikipedia and wikidata. Grants making process will be followed by a rigorous monitoring and evaluation process to measure the impact and contribute to the free knowledge philoosophy.
14. Are you running any in-person events or activities?
15. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Content Gender gap, Age (regency) , Geography, Language
16. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Education, Advocacy
17. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Gender Identity, Geographic
18. Please tell us more about your target participants.
- -The main participants in this project are the already contributing Wikimedia communities estimated to hundreds of people in the great lakes region . They will be retained through their motivation to establish stronger local chapters empowered by access to the course programs and mentorship programs we will continue to offer
- The second category of emphasis are the new participants who will be engaged and encouraged to share their free knowledge and motivated with the empowerment programs we have established like co-working spaces. They will be retained through their motivation by empowerment programs by access to the course programs and mentorship programs
- The third category are the scientists and professionals willing to share their free knowledge who will be engaged in course development and mentorship programs and be invited to contribute with articles on Wikimedia platforms . they will be retained through incentives packages established with long term vision.
- the fourth category are vulnerable youth we will engage and support to leverage the knowledge equity and motivate them to grow stronger giving back to the community and contribute to free knoweldge platforms with their inspiring stories.
19. Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
19a. If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We have started to engage the communities and individuals contributors and we have started to establish collaboration mechanisms beyond this project of one year .
19b. If no, please tell us the reasons why it has not been possible to make these connections.
20. Will you be working with other external non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
20a. If yes, please describe these partnerships.
20a. If yes, indicate sharing of resources from these partners (in kind support, grants, donations, payments).
21. Please tell us how your organization is structured.
- Iriza foundation is a non profit organization with mission to empower the youth through innovation and entrepreneurship. in its initial stage , It has legally binding documents known as the Charter and Articles which sets out the parameters within which it is to be managed and governed. Governed by the council members that decide on the the grants distributed across the free departments based on the needs in free knowledge where we promote the education and job integration from vulnerable children , the scientific and equipment support to empower the youth in geospatial technologies and environment protection.
22. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- We have a team to run the project and our strategy will be grants making in order to achieve objectives and have impact on the bigger scale , call for application will be professionally done to support in the field of free knowledge, youth empowerment and geospatial technologies awareness
23. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
24. What do you hope to learn from this proposal?
- We hope to run from this project the professional grants managements to scale our activities with tangible impact . the new approach and innovative mechanisms to engage the communities in Africa great lakes will be an opportunity to strategically set clear goals to achieve in the 10 years to come where we will iteratively draft a strategic plan and implementation plan to scale our activities .
25. Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||1000|
|Number of editors||300|
|Number of organizers||20|
25a. If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation. (optional)
26. What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
27. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- We will develop and customize an app to capture the data and make synthesis about the data to document the impact and lessons learnt
28. How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Create a video of our experience, Make a short presentation of the experience, Create a training workshop to show others what we learned, Share results on social media
29. What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 80000000 RWF
30. What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 80000 USD
31. & 32. Please provide a budget for the amount of funding requested.
33. What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- the foundation will make insure all the mechanisms are transparent where small grants making will follow the best practices and will be transparent , the council will be following consistently the funded projects to ensure the overall objectives for the projects are attained and contribute impactfully to the free knowledge philosophy
34. How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- We will follow the friendly space policy and UCOC recommendations as stipulated by wikimedia movement living no one behind , being gender sensitive and advocating for the vulnerable
35. Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.