Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Abante Babae:WikiGap 2023 Philippines (ID: 22069684)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Philippine Wikimedia Community, Inc.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Abante Babae:WikiGap 2023 Philippines
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
- 1. There are few articles related to Filipino women in Wikipedia.
- 2. The articles related to women are mostly written in English. Therefore, not all Filipinos can understand the articles, so we need to translate the articles in Bicol and Filipino.
- 3. Few people are members of PhilWiki Community.
- 1. To bridge the gender gap between men and women by giving them the opportunity to share their insights and skills through writing and/or translating articles related to women;
- 2. To help improve Wikipedia’s articles about women by writing and/or translating articles using the Bicol dialect and Filipino language;
- 3. To establish a community of female teachers as new contributors in PhilWiki.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Through this event, the organizers would like to:
- 1. Promote the Wikimedia projects and its advocacy by involving former club members of SGAS (Society of General Academic Students) https://www.facebook.com/csnhssgas and female teachers in Camarines Sur National High School, a public school in Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines. The club is composed of men, women, and members of the LGBTQ
- 2. Create an avenue for notable women in the Philippines to be featured in Wiki Commons as part of the advocacy in promoting gender-equal and inclusive society. ; and
- 3. Establish a Community. Encourage female teachers to be part of the User Group who will also become advocates of the Wikimedia projects.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
There will be three (3) main activities that participants can join namely Seminar-Workshop, Edit-a-Thon, and Closing Ceremony.
- 1. Opening Ceremony and Seminar-Workshop
The organizers will launch the WikiGap on March 8, 2023 by uploading a poster in Facebook and writing information to Meta-Wiki. For the next two weeks, the organizers will invite the speakers and participants through Messenger and/or send personal invitation. In April, the organizers will invite the founders of PhilWiki and active female members of the group to share their achievements and meaningful learning experiences in joining the movement. After the talk, the facilitators will assist the participants in creating their user account, so, they can participate in the writing challenge.
- 2. Edit-a-Thon
The participants will edit, write, and/or translate one hundred (100) articles related to women using Bicol dialect and Filipino language. This will be a one-month activity from April 1-May 1, 2023 which will be done through meet-up or in the participant's own space and time.
- 3. Closing Ceremony
The organizers will hold a closing ceremony in a restaurant and announce the winners on the first week of May. After the awarding ceremony, the participants will sign the registration form to become a member of Philwiki Community and accomplish the evaluation form.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Executive Maria Glenda G. Perico Username: Daragang Nagueña
- Plan prior to the activity
- Oversee the activity during the day of the implemetation
- Assign working committees
- Prepare the accomplishment report
- 2. Secretariat
Leah B. Sumalinog Username: Leahley
- Prepare the registration sheet and profile of the speakers and the participants
- Prepare the list of winners at least three (3) days before the awarding ceremony
- Write the narrative report two (2) weeks after the event
- 4. Logistics
Maffeth C. Opiana Username: Maffeth.opiana
- Reserve the venue and choose meals for the participants and guests
- Check the equipments such as projector, laptop, speakers, and microphones
- Prepare the training kits
- Buy the prizes for the participants and tokens for the speakers
- 4. Promotion and Publication
Irvin P. Sto. Tomas Username: Filipinayzd
- Upload posters for promotion
- Upload photos of events in Meta Wiki
- 5. Technical
Marife G. Altabano Username: Marife.altabano
- Create posters for promotion
- Prepare audio-visual presentation for the program
- 6. Documentation
Francis Charles D. Brioso Username: Kabu Sawsaw
- Take pictures during the event
- Uplaod photos for promotion
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Language, Sexual Orientation
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Through this event, we aim to achieve the following:
- 1. Content and Gender Gap. Show awareness about the gender gap and improve the Wikipedia articles related to women
- 2. Language. Write articles related to women in other languages, such as Filipino and Bicol.
- 3. Sexual Orientation. Recruit female teachers and members of the LGBTQ as contributors.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Advocacy, Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Our target participants are female teachers in the educational institutions where we are working. We will invite our colleagues and former students to attend the WikiGap. An evaluation form and membership form will be provided for the participants to accomplish after the event. Moreover, we will also create a group chat to update them of the PhilWiki activities. Furthermore, we will hold small group discussions regarding the WikiGap through our Learning Action Cell (LAC). This activity is a form of follow-up and mentoring program to ensure support in the Wikimedia projects and encourage them to join the movement.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
PhilWiki Community expect all participants to abide by the Universal Code of Conduct during the implementation of all the activities in WikiGap 2023 Philippines.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
We have created a page to document the event and uploaded posters and information on our social media pages. You may access the page through https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/PhilWiki_Community/WikiGap_Philippines_2023
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
At the end of the activity, the organizers are expected to:
- 1. Identify how many notable women in Bicol or in the Philippines have no existing articles in Wikipedia;
- 2. Deepen understanding about the Wikimedia projects and its advocacy;
- 3. Develop camaraderie with the other members of Philwiki Community through working in this project
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Improve articles related to women||This refers to writing, editing, and/or translating articles related to women||100|
|Upload photos of notable women||This refers to the photos that will be uploaded with the articles edited, written, and/or translated by the participants.||100|
|Establish a community of female teachers||This refers to the community of female teachers that will create a new user account.||20|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||New participants: 40
Returning participants: 10
|Number of editors||At least 20 new editors are expected to create their User Group||20|
|Number of organizers||Working Committee. These are the people directly involved in planning, implementing, and evaluating the event.
Volunteers. These are people who will help ensure the smooth flow of the activity.
|Wikimedia Commons||Translated/edited articles: 50
New articles: 50
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Programs and Events Dashboard
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).
- Withdrawn Rapid Funds (Wikimedia Community Fund) for ESEAP in FY 2022-23
- Withdrawn Rapid Funds for ESEAP in FY 2022-23
- Rapid Fund (Wikimedia Community Fund) proposals in FY 2022-23
- Withdrawn Rapid Funds in FY 2022-23
- Withdrawn Rapid Funds (Wikimedia Community Fund) in FY 2022-23