Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Documention and Digitization of Ancient Nri Cultural Heritage on Wikipedia (ID: 22160942)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia Anambra Network
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Documention and Digitization of Ancient Nri Cultural Heritage on Wikipedia
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Nri is an ancient Igbo town in Anambra State,Nigeria. Oraeze Nri is a Medievial Igbo kingdom that originated around AD 900 and is located in the South -Eastern part of Nigeria. As the oldest existing Monarchy in Nigeria, the Kingdom is known for it's cultural Heritage diversity and has ancient towns which includes Agukwu Nri Enugwu Ukwu,Enugwu Agidi ,Nọfịa Amawbia, Ogbu ike,Okuzu,Nando, Umuleri ,Nteje and others. However, information about cultural and traditional diversity of this ethnic groups are not properly documented and digitized on Wikipedia. Also, information about ancient town of NRI is not well developed in the English Wikipedia.for example, despite having the Required cultural and traditional notability, there are little Wikipedia pages that covers Subjects such as Ichi Nze na Ọzọ title,Ikenga,Afia ọlụ festival,Achụkwụ Masquerade, Igbo Ukwu Meseum, Igbo-Ukwu etc. This has in turn contributed to low readership in Wikipedia and has shown some underrepresentation and knowledge inequity. This project aim to help document and digitize information about the ancient NRI Town in Anambra State by creating new Ancient Nri related Wikipedia articles and improving existing stub articles. This project will be coordinated with The Igbo-Ukwu Meseum and Staff & students from History department of the Anambra State University Igbariam.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The approach to achieve the changes planned in this project is to build the capacity of History Students and Igbo -Ukwu Meseum Staffs on documentation of Cultural Contents to increase Contents,Contributors and Reader ship. This program will involve Wikipedia editing skills, research skills and also how to Verify Sources etc. This approach will help to document the information about ancient NRI Cultural Heritage and also will promote access to information for educational and research purposes. This Strategy will help increase Contents on Wikipedia and Source new historians who will help in documenting Cultural related contents.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The part of the Strategy identified and the following key activities to be carried out are as follows:
a. Wikipedia training,this project will offer training to the members of department and faculty students of History and African language Studies in Anambra State University. This trainings will also involve basic Wikipedia editing and adding of Citations,Wikicommons for picture upload,Wikidata etc
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
WikiGap, Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
User: Ngorstary2k is an experienced Wikimedian and the President of Wikimedia Anambra Network. She has organized several Wikimedia projects in Nigeria and Anambra.
User: Akwugo (Volunteer Lead Facilitator): User Akwugo is an experienced Wikimedian. She has organized and facilitated several Wikimedia events in Nigeria. User: Iwuala Lucy. She is an experienced Wikimedians and has organized different Wikimedians project in Nigeria.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Language, Socioeconomic Status, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
This project precisely seek to fill the content gap around ancient NRI Town by creating and improving notable cultural heritage related articles on Wikipedia. This project is also aim at addressing other component of the Wikipedia knowledge gap such as contributor and readership gap. New editors will be recruited into the Movement which will help create local content knowledge on Wikipedia.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The Target participants for this project are the Faculty members and The Students of History and African language Studies of Anambra State University. The department of History and African language Studies of Anambra State University has several trained historians who are mostly the indigenes of Ancient town of Nri, Anambra State. They posses a required historic knowledge about ancient town of NRI and all it's Cultural Heritage from AD 900. This department have also Post graduate Students that possess the required wealth of knowledge which will be useful in contributing around ancient NRI Town on Wikipedia. The Department will be recruiting participants and the sources to be used during this project will be consulted prior to writing Wikipedia articles. The Department will also offer communication support that will help to mobilize participants in other to give the project a wider coverage.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The Wikimedia friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct will be implemented in Our in person events.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have discussed it in our various Stakeholders Meetings and have also informed them on the Talk page https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UG_Nigeria/Anambra_Network#Notification_of_my_project
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
Undergraduate and Post graduate History Students of Anambra State University and the Igbo-ukwu Meseum
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Coordinate Across Stakeholders, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Manage Internal Knowledge, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
a. To know the knowledge gap on Ancient Nri Kingdom on Wikipedia. b. What are the Cultural Heritage that has not been uploaded on WikimediaCommons.
C. What documentations has the Ancient Nri Kingdom on Wikidata
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Survey Data||Data will be collected through Survey Before, during and after the event.||20|
|Articles||The Minimum number articles created due to this project||100|
|Upload||The Minimum number of Ancient Nri artefacts uploaded||100|
|Linked data||Minimum number of items created on Wikidata||100|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Total participants||35|
|Number of editors||Total number of editors||32|
|Number of organizers||Total number of organizers||3|
|Wikipedia||Minimum number of articles created/improved||100|
|Wikimedia Commons||Minimum number of photo uploaded||100|
|N/A||Minimum number of Wikidata item to be created||100|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
The Outreach dashboard
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).