This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Usmanagm Bukky658 Gwanki Musaddam Idriss Ibjaja055
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Hausa Wikimedia Group Wikimedia User Group Nigeria Fulfulde Wikimedians User Group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Awareness In Akko
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Akko is the largest local government in Northern Nigeria with a population of more than 337,853 people as of the 2006 Nigeria'a census. It currently accommodates close to a million people, in addition to having a university of science and technology, health and nursing college, writers' clubs and associations, and a host of other institutions spread across its community. But unfortunately, despite the advantageous advancements in the community, there is an absolute dearth of editors, not to even talk of projects that seek to promote Wikipedia in the community.
As a member of the community who is lucky to have discovered Wikipedia, I feel obliged to premier the first Wikimedia promotion campaign/training in Akko for the overall ascendancy of new editors as well as raising and inspiring the emergence of active champions of the Wikipedia projects. The creation of Wikipedia and its sister's project awareness In Akko is targeted towards laying a solid foundation for the widespread adoption and use of Wikimedia products among youths in the community.
Also, the proposed month-long activity has the potential to bridge the content gaps that exist about articles on different topics with the help of experienced editors; many notable local and international scholars, organizations, tourist attraction sites such as the historical and research places, and many more in Akko do not have wide coverage on Wikipedia.
Unlike in other communities where there has been a series of training and presence of the Wikimedia community, there has never been any training or anything sort of that to train people and notify them about Wikimedia projects and how they can contribute to it them in Akko. If approved, the project will help to establish the first ever Wiki community meetup in Akko, specifically meant to keep in touch with present and future activities of Wikipedia in the community as well as to keep track of the editors' journey as new wikipedia champions from Akko.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Training and Recruiting 50 new editors across different higher institutions, writers and youths' associations in Akko. This will allow full participation of students and youths from different institutions, clubs and Association within the target community.
Creating awareness about Wikimedia projects among participants in Akko. Many of the participants may be familiar with English Wikipedia but few are aware of other existing languages such as Huasa. The dominant language in the community is Hausa, as such, the Wikipedia training project will give focus to Hausa Wikipedia, as well as other Wikimedia sister projects that promote free knowledge and open access to information, thereby enhancing the need for this approach.
Creating a community of Wikimedia Editors in Akko: One the the facilitators for both the online and physical sessions, Gwanki is a Co-founder and one of the active and most prominent Hausa wikipedia editor. I will partner with the Hausa User group through him to help in the execution of the project as well as in the creation and sustainability of the community. This is in addition to creating a WhatsApp group for the new editors.
Training participants on how to contribute to the various Wikimedia projects that the training focuses on; create Wikipedia account, understand the core content policies, and understand general editing principles, creating new articles, performing minor edits among others to improve content about people, places, organizations, etc
With the help of the offline and online editors, we will leverage using the outreach dashboard to track contributions and provide one-on-one support.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The project will run for a period of one month to introduce Wikipedia to this community. Wikipedia Promotions in Akko will consist of five different sessions with the establishment of Wikimedia community;
- 1. Two days of an in-person (physical) workshop: With the help of three of the five facilitators to be engaged, the two day physical sessions hope to avail the participants the basic knowledge about Wikipedia. This will also involve account creation and on-site minor edits by all the participants.
- 2. Two (2) series of online reinforcement training:
To properly equip them with the needed skills about how to edit on Wikipedia, Wikicommons, etc: With the help of the two online facilitators of the project, the online segment aimed at fine-tuning the editing skills of the new editors, as well polishing where they have much weaknesses.
- 3. One day of an in-person review session (final day): After the two days physical trainings as well as the two days online sessions, an interval of two weeks will be given for the participants to edit and practice the knowledge acquired from the project into fruition.
There will be a two weeks Edit-a-thon where winners will be awarded a certificate of excellence each; a WhatsApp group will be utilized to encourage them edit and attempt to questions arising from their newfound journey. Thereafter a one-day physical training, as the last day of the project, will be convened with the purpose of reviewing the works of the participants, clarifying where necessary, entertaining questions and clarifications, and awarding certificates to wrap up the project.
Creating a group of Wikimedia editors in Akko: The last day of the project will see the creation of a community for sustainability purposes. This will be easily achievable with the help of Gwanki through the Hausa user group.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Creating awareness about Wikimedia projects,
Training wikimedia editors.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, I do, and they're confirmed their readiness to join for the successful delivery of the project:
Usmanagm is the project lead and member of the host community. He is an experienced Wikimedia projects editor and a trainer. He has participated in many Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Promotions in Federal University of Kashere where he served both as a trainer and the moderator of the online and physical sessions. Others are Wiki Loves Lagos Contest, and a bilingual wikipedia editor with a focus on Hausa. Outside of Wikipedia, he is an experienced Development strategist, project manager and consultant with vast experience working with international and local Organizations such as the Centre for Information Technology and Development, the World Health Organization, etc.
Bukky658 will lead and join the project lead to coordinate the online sessions. She is a volunteer and a certified trainer of the reading Wikipedia in the classroom program, the Project lead for WikiGLAM Awareness for Librarians in Kwara State, the project lead for Wikidata for Libraries and notable Librarians in Kwara State, the first prize winner of Wiki Activate 2021 and the organiser of Wikimedia Fan Club, Kwara State University Awareness Campaign. She will be the online facilitator of the project.
For the first two days in-person trainings, Gwanki and Musaddam will join the project lead to make it happen. They are in nigh proximity with the host community:
Gwanki is volunteer and an experienced Wikimedia editor and an Administrator on the Hausa Wikipedia. He has organised and facilitated several Wikipedia projects Awareness in Northern Nigeria. He is part of the offline facilitators.
Musaddam Idriss: He is a volunteer and an experienced Wikimedia projects editors who have successfully executed different Wikimedia projects in Northern Nigeria. He is also part of the facilitators. He is currently a champion of the Fulfulde activation in Wikipedia.
For the final day of the project which is tne day of an in-person review session, Ibjaja055 alongside the other facilitators will join the project lead to coordinate the final day of the project:
Ibjaja055 is a an experienced Wikimedia projects editor. He was the convener of the Wikimedia Promotions in Federal University of Kashere. He has participated in different Wikimedia projects. He is the 4th highest contributor during the third edition of the African Librarians Week held from 22-29 May 2022. The First Prize Winner of Wikipedia Awareness and Training in Gombe edit-a-thon, first Prize Winner of WikiProject Public Domain Contest in Nigeria and First Prize Winner of Wikipedia Awareness for Librarians at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria edit-a-thon.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Age (regency), Geography, Language, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The Akko vommunity comprises of different people from different regions, ethnic groups and they belong to different religions, out focus will be on creating and improving articles that are related to Nigerian culture, religions and Language in Hausa Wikipedia and English Wikipedia.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status, Age
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
This proposal is targeted at the diverse youths in Akko Community. We hope to engage these participants before the project implementation through local radio stations and clubs. I am a member of three clubs and Associations in the community with large followers, I am also a regular Radio guest.
The above channels will be utilized for The call for participation as well as through effective local communication channels which the youths belong to using E-posters, and banners to promote the program on social media platforms. I also have a large social media followers, especially on facebook.
The Participants will be sent an online form to get their data and for registration.
During the project, I and my team member will be actively involved in facilitating the training and also making sure that the participants get the act and art of the required logic and knowledge of contributing to Wikipedia and its sister projects. Also, the training is set to have 3 physical and two online sessions to ensure that editors are properly guided on how to bridge the knowledge and content gap across various Wikimedia projects.
To ensure the sustainability of the project, After the events, participants will join as members in the Wikimedia community, this will keep them updated and encourage participation in many Wikipedia projects. Participants will be added to the existing messaging channels for follow-up, updates, questions, etc. These participants would also be invited to future events. Tight contact with the participants involved in the project will be maintained by creating a WhatsApp group titled Akko Wikimedia Community where issues related to the development of Wikimedia projects will be the subject matter.
Also, information on the latest wikipedia events and workshops will be shared on it, especially with partnerships with other user groups.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The General friendly space policy for Wikimedia events will be summarized and to be read at the beginning of each eventt. The event will.adhere to the Wikimedia-friendly space policy during the event. The Wikimedia-friendly space policy and UCoC will be distributed to participants before the event starts. The event also promises to be safe and conducive.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed Hausa Wikimedia Group through the WhatsApp and Telegram group, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria has been notified via the https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria#Wikipedia_Awareness_in_Akko and I am active in the WhatsApp of Hausa general user group.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
The partnership is largely on getting the right Participants for the project. We will partner with local groups, Students leaders and local community heads for successful dissemination of information about the project to the target participants.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
Did the project create community awareness about Wikimedia projects in Akko?
Did the project train new editors to have the required skills to edit Wikimedia projects?
Was the project beneficial to the target participants in terms of full satisfaction of the knowledge acquired?
Did the participants contribute contents to Wikipedia and it's sisters' projects ?
Did the project create a sustainable group of Wikimedia editors in Akko?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Number of Awareness Beneficiaries
|The total number of people that will benefit from the awareness that will be carried out in the community through online and offline mediums.
|Number of Editors
|The total number of participants that will be trained for the training.
|Total number of articles created or edited
|The total number of articles that will be created or edited during the edit-a-ton.
|Number of events
|The total number of events during the training
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|The total number of participants during the event including the facilitators
|Number of editors
|The totaL number of new editors
|Number of organizers
|The total number of the organizers
|Articles Created or improved during the training
|Non copyrighted photos uploaded during the training
|Number of wikidata created or improved during the training
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
We will be using the Hashtag tool and wmf outreachdashboard.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).