Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/WIKI KOUMAN TCHAD/en
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please fill in.
- Wikimedia Community User Group Tchad
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
- Our mission is to create content and make knowledge and knowledge related to Chad accessible via the Wikipedia encyclopedia. As Chadians, we are in the best position to carry out this work.
Through this mission, we carry out actions through projects, such as Wiki Loves Africa, Wiki Kouman, etc. Wiki Kouman arouses interest in Chad because, in addition to the activities that we usually carry out, it enabled us to organize activities in two other languages of Chad.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
- The Wiki Kouman project aims to increase the visibility and content of minority languages through the Wiktionary and other related projects. Wiki Kouman derives its etymology from Dioula, one of the local languages of Côte d'Ivoire, Mali and Burkina Faso, where "Kouman" means "to speak".
Given that every two weeks, a language disappears according to UNESCO statistics, this project was created with the aim of putting an end to this trend by creating content, increasing the visibility and content of the minority languages of Chad via the Wiktionary.
We did a first edition with Côte d'Ivoire in 2021. In that first edition, we saw more enthusiasm and participation from the Chadian population in our training workshops. In 2021, we worked in two local languages of Chad (Chadian Arabic and Ngambay) and we currently have over 900 created or improved Wiktionary entries and over 20 new participants and over 200 audio recordings.
It is in this sense that we wish to start a second edition of Wiki Kouman 2022 in Chad, to continue to enrich the previous languages and add new ones. For this new edition, we want to work on four main languages: Chadian Arabic, Ngambay, Kanembou which is a language used in commerce and therefore commonly spoken and Dazaga which is a language spoken in Chad, Niger, Sudan and in Libya.
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
- Upon acceptance of the grant, during the first month:
- We will communicate in our mailing lists and social networks on future activities to inform the Chadian population of upcoming activities,
- Create and launch a registration form to recruit participants for workshops
During the following 11 months:
- Start the research work on the words and make the training materials
- Organize training with participants and contribute
- Check participants' contributions after the trainings.
- Train two new project managers in different cities to expand our association
- Write monthly and final reports
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
- Increase the quantity and visibility of content in local Chadian languages on the Wiktionary and sister projects,
- Preserve and make accessible local languages: Chadian Arabic, Ngambay, Kanembou and Dazaga,
- Raise awareness and train the public on the possible uses of Wiktionary and Wikimedia projects for the promotion, development and preservation of languages,
- Attract a larger number of participants to our activities.
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
- Please fill in this section.
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- We have a team that has experience with wikimedia projects. Our team is made by:
Abdallah Azibert President of User Group Chad (supervisor), Abderamane Abakar (project manager - Wikimedia username: Abakar B), Ahmat Mahamat Tahir (project assistant - Wikimedia username: Matarimi1), User:Modjou (advisor)
Abdallah Azibert (supervisor) - Wikimedia username: Abdallahbigboss
Tasks to be performed during the project period, 20 hours per week:
- Guide on financing and management and coordinate with the accounting firm
- Coordinate material management
- Ensure compliance with COVID barrier measures
- Supervise the research work and manage the entire team
Abderamane Abakar (project manager) - Wikimedia username: Abakar B
Tasks to be performed during the project period, 25 hours per week:
- Prepare the registration form and organize the workshops
- Communicate and raise awareness before, during and after the project
- Perform research on all the words that will be used to create or improve articles to ensure the correct spelling and pronunciation. (This work will consist of searching for books, manual documents, etc. that will help us to make the supports on which the participants will use to contribute.)
- Make the supports that the participants will have to use to create or the improve articles
- Evaluate possible improvements to articles for edit-a-thons
Ahmat Mahamat Tahir (project assistant) - Wikimedia username: Matarimi1
Tasks to be performed during the project period, 20 hours per week:
- Help the project manager in all his tasks
- Coordinate, call and follow-up with the project participants so that their presence is effective at Wiki Kouman evenings
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- Geography, Language, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- Please fill in this question.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Open Technology, Diversity
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Digital Access
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
- Our target participants will be people interested in free knowledge sharing projects and particularly Wikimedia projects. We will create an online form to allow people to register. We will then select the participants based on their answers to the questions we asked them beforehand. We will favor participants who master the languages on which we will work, and also people from underrepresented groups. Our target participants will be people who are interested in free knowledge sharing projects, and particularly Wikimedia projects.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
- We will rent a working space designed for this kind of events, which is really pleasant for the work and comfortable for the participants, with helpful people. Any individual participating in the activities will always be treated well and their opinions will be taken into account.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- All members of our community are informed because it is on behalf of the Chad user group that this request is made.
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
- Our workshops will be held monthly, and we hope to recruit new contributors each month. As a result, the alumni will continue to contribute as they go along.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
- Please fill in this section.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement
- Improve User Experience
- Provide for Safety and Inclusion
- Ensure Equity in Decision-making
- Coordinate Across Stakeholders
- Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
- Manage Internal Knowledge
- Identify Topics for Impact
- Innovate in Free Knowledge
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- In 2021, we were trained on Wiki projects, we learned to create entries for new words in local languages with the aim of also becoming trainers ourselves. Now we want to train other contributors so that they can participate in the Wiktionary. We hope to extend the project to 2 other provinces in Chad. We will form and create Wikimedia Chad clubs in two different schools, so that students can learn to contribute to the project.
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
|N/A||Other volunteers of the User Group will provide their help depending on the needs that the organizers will have||N/A|
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||Grow Wikimedia Chad community||7|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||Increase content in the target languages||5|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||N/A||2|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||Keep clubs and volunteers active||7|
|Number of volunteer hours||Total number of volunteering hours by the three organizers chosen by our User Group||65|
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants||Number of people we intend to train by the end of the project||15|
|Number of editors||Number of people we intend to train by the end of the project||100|
|Number of organizers||People who will ensure the whole organization until the end of the project||3|
|Wiktionary||* Increase the visibility of local languages
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- We will mainly use the dashboard
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 8230000 XAF
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 15297 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.