Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Wikimedia Levant strategic plan for calendar year 2022
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
User:Abbad (WMF) User:Sandra Hanbo
- Wikimedians of the Levant User Group
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
- Jordan Open Source Association
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon and Syria
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
- Jordan Open Source Association
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
The mission of wikimedia levant is to to promote Wikimedia projects and other projects of free content and access to knowledge in Levant Region (Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria).Organizing activities, gatherings, workshops and different projects for contributors of the mentioned countries so it saves efforts and cost. In order to aspire to support access to free knowledge within and about the region of the levant.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
Each of the Levant countries has a few contributors and this makes it difficult to establish individual groups.The noticeable similarities of the Levant countries in terms of language, history, culture, geography and lifestyle. Users and contributors of these countries share similar interests, challenges, needs and they participate in the same Wikipedias and projects. Hence, it would be great if their efforts were unified under one group through which challenges could be overcome, needs fulfilled and projects and interests better organized. Through this proposal we hope to unify the work needed to participate successfully in different projects (e.g. Wiki Loves Monuments) in terms of performing the official tasks, providing guidance, boosting participation, deriving local contests, sharing experience and ideas, etc. Promoting and developing the content related to Levant countries specifically and the Arab World generally in different languages. To coordinate the work and consultation related to participation in the international events such as Wikimania and regional events such as WikiArabia. Unifying the efforts of the contributors under one umbrella, especially those with technical skills. gathering the Arab contributors of the Levant countries in one group. Establishing a base and a reference for all Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese in Wikipedia and all other Wikimedia projects. Organizing activities, gatherings, workshops, and different projects for contributors of the mentioned countries saves efforts and cost. Gathering the contributors who live abroad and have them put some focus and effort in enhancing the Arabic content, especially what's related to the Levant and Developing a performance plan for new members.
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Community Outreach: we should make sure to know what is important to them and what will make them proud. This program will include a number of activities such as social media, Introductory video and Printing. We hope to Reaching at least 4,300 followers on Facebook, 2,300 followers on Twitter and 1,000 total views on the videos Capacity and community development:This program will include a number of activities such as training workshops for all new members with less than one hundred edits and Monthly, regular online meetings for all user group members and held a small conference for Levantine members (May will be online) We hope to Reach: 5 new members, 3 new member training workshops, 20 members trained in basic skills, 8 in advanced editing skills and 5 unique members organizing activities. Support Wikimedia Projects content: To improve and expand Wikimedia projects, thus sticking to our primary goal of improving content and impact. We hope to Improve Arabic Wikipedia content related to the Levant region and Improve Arabic Wikipedia content related to the Arabic Language,Increase quality of articles, Motivate members to participate in editing campaigns and stay as active editors. This program will include a number of activities such as: Arabic Wikipedia Anniversary workshop Wikipedia 21 books support content 2 Competition We hope to Reach: Total number of workshops: 4 Total number of participants: 60 Number of articles to improve: 150 Number of articles to create: 150 Long-term contributors to recruit: 6 Number of competitions to organize: 2 Number of photos to upload: 100 Percentage of photos to be used in Wikimedia projects: At least 10% Total number of participants in the editing and photography competitions: 50 Partnerships in education and GLAM: To create long-term partnerships and outreach that support us in achieving our key mission and enhancing the rest of our goals altogether. We hope to Increase student awareness of Wikipedia policies. Build sustainable partnerships with educational institutions and Protect the cultural heritage and preserve the particularly sensitive cultural memory in the Levant region. This program will include a number of activities such as: wikipedia Education program We hope to reach: Number of participants in program: 25 Number of newly registered users during program: 25 Number of content pages to be created and improved during program: 80 Number of pictures to be uploaded (optional): 80
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Train regular members to equip advanced editing skills. Raise awareness of the mission and work of Wikimedia Levant. Improve Arabic Wikipedia content and wikidata related to Levant region.Increase the amount of visual and written content on Wikimedia projects that are related to the culture, society, topography and cities of the Levant. Add more images about the local natural heritage,scenic landscape in the Levant region. Build sustainable partnerships with educational institutions.
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
The team represents members of our affiliate and all of them are volunteers, you can see here (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_the_Levant/Membership), Also We are considering hiring a CEO for this proposal.( CEO role and their anticipated duties here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lHfkSO-PAnC7KZWAfuTYNiRczHJ7TQ58/edit)
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Geography, Language, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Human Rights, Climate Change and sustainability, Diversity
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
We set a requirement to become a member of wikimedia levant, to follow a workshop to obtain skills and understand principles of editing in Wikimedia projects. We don’t have prior experiences with wikimedia to participate. We hope to gather the Arab contributors of the Levant countries (Jordan, Palestine, Syria and Lebanon) and growth in these areas’, also the contributors who live abroad and have them put some focus and efforts in enhancing the Arabic content, especially what's related to the Levant. We will coordinate some activities like workshops for beginners, intermediate and advanced participants.
Our strategies to retain participants after your proposal is implemented:
- 1. Show appreciation for participants.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but you might be surprised how often it’s overlooked. taking a few extra moments to show appreciation to people for participating – letting them know how important and impactful their contribution to meaningful research actually is – makes them more likely to take part again.
- 2. Develop relationships with participants.
- 3. Increase communication.
For most of us, knowing what to expect makes any experience more pleasant. When you communicate frequently and with transparency to your participants.
Communication can even be automated. Sending emails, newsletters, etc. are all simple and efficient ways to keep channels of communication open.
- 4.When participants leave, find out why.
When someone declines to engage, it’s a good idea to see if you can find out why. It’s really just an extension of your efforts to let people know they’re appreciated. By taking the time to ask what you could have done differently, you communicate that you genuinely value the participant’s opinion. You just may find that you can win him or her back by simply taking the time to listen.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
concerns the quality of the relationships between editors and students. Feeling safe to express their own thoughts is more productive for learning. the motivation that supports the individual and development as much as their task performance. leaders should demand high standards of work and behavior from all students.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
We have published about this proposal by mailing list of our affiliate, and we sent to all members privately for Suggested activities and challenges. Also, There is a special group for our group on Facebook, and we published the reports on the meta page. These are our social media accounts where we have also published information: Facebook, Twitter.
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
PO Remarks: The applicant did not fill in this question.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Innovate in Free Knowledge
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
How Will We Know our Activities Were Successful? How can we Ensure the continuity of members and motivate them? What are the strategies that can help to make a new member as leader of the future? How can we support wikimedia sisters projects? What about a Sustainability of activities and members? How can we share our story?
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||N/A||N/A|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||N/A||N/A|
|Number of volunteer hours||N/A||N/A|
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants||The number of participants in all activities: 100 as new participants.||100|
|Number of editors||The number of editors in all activities: 30||30|
|Number of organizers||The number of organizers in all activities: 8
Our target that 3 will be a new organizers
|Wikipedia||150 new articles created and 50 improved for all activities||200|
|Wikimedia Commons||100 images uploaded to wikimedia commons||100|
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
Sometimes we use Programs & Events Dashboard for number of Participants, editors, organizers, articles and images.
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 32950 JOD
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 32950 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.