Grants:Project/Lionel Scheepmans/Wiki 4 Coop/1
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project impact
- 4 Project plan
- 5 Get involved
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Similar problem at two different scales:
Small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1
The NGO Louvain Coopération (L.C. NGO website info) and its multimedia department, are thinking of sharing their knowledge and digital files through the web for use ICT tool and program to share it with its global south audience. Connection and collaboration between the Wikimedia movement and this NGO does not yet exist and a win-win collaboration is possible.
Large scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 2
The Belgium Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs has started a grant submission for a called Digital for Development (D4D) project to promote "partnerships between the EU and its member States as well as other key stakeholders, notably the private sector, civil society, and other donors and multilateral organisations that are active in the ICT sector, in order to enhance the positive impact of ICT on development" (website infos : English - French - Dutch). Connection and collaboration between the Wikimedia movement and the Belgian cooperation administration and NGOs do not yet exist while a win-win collaboration could be possible.
What is your solution?
- (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1) : Starting a Wikimedia in residence program in L.C. NGO with the co-author of this grant who is long term on line/off line wikimedian contributors/volunteer, administrator on fr.Wikiversity, actually working full time as employee in this NGO since the first of March 2017 until the first September 2018.
- (large scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 2), using the collaboration between Wikimedia movement and L.C. NGO as example for lobbying in Belgium cooperation administration and start a collaboration between Wikimedia movement and Belgian cooperation in the D4D project.
What are your goals for this project
- Transfer a larger part of the knowledge and digital files from L.C. NGO and Belgian NGO to Wikimedia projects.
- Involves L.C. NGO and Belgian cooperation stakeholders on Wikimedia projects as editors.
- Share Wikimedia project contents with Belgian NGO's global south audience in collaboration with Wikipedia Zero, Kiwix, Wiki Med, ect.
- (small scale view - Wiki 4 Coop / 1 )
- Establish a Wikimedian in residence within L.C. NGO.
- Involve L.C. NGO staff on wikimedia projects as editors.
- Transfer a larger part of the knowledge and digital files of L.C. NGO to Wikimedia projects.
- Share this content with global south L.C. audience through programs such as Kiwix, Wikipedia Zero, Wiki Med, ect.
- (large scale view - Wiki 4 Coop / 2 )
- Convince the Belgian Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs to involve Wikimedia movement within the D4D project.
- Start a collaboration between Wikimedia movement and D4D project.
How will you know if you have met your goals?
With Louvain Coopération (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
- An experienced online / offline wikimedian take place in Louvain Coopération NGO staff with a full time working contract for a period of 18 months Done.
- The French wikipedia article about Louvain Coopération is created as example off good paid editing Done.
- A user account Louvain Coopération is created for uploading NGO's files and present the list of NGO's staff as paid editors Done.
- A wikimedia movement presentation is done during staff meeting.
- L.C. NGO staff members and volunteers has created a Wikimedia user accounts and start to contribute on Wikimedia projects for creating or improving articles (see next section for more details).
- CC.BY.SA 4.0 compatible L.C. NGO's multimedia productions are uploaded on Wikimedia commons (see next section for more details).
- Wikipedia zero, Kiwix and other useful programs or tools are promoted and use by global south L.C. NGO's partners and audience to permit free Wikimedia projects access. Actions are related on public report and/or press coverage.
With Federal cooperation administration D4D project (large scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 2 )
- First contact with Adviser of the Belgium Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for development cooperation Alexander De Croo is done for checking the political and cooperation actors interest about Creative commons licence and collaboration with Wikimedia movement Done.
- Lobbying in D4D project using cooperation between L.C. NGO as example is working.
- Collaboration and financially support of Wikimedia Foundation to the D4D project is negotiated with a new grant submission (150.000 € will be founded by Belguim state to support D4D project but 20 % of this budget have to be found as co-founding for running the project).
- Collaboration between Wikimedia movement and D4D project is running.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Goals around participation and content for large scale D4D Belgian NGOs project (large scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 2) should be determined on next potential grant submission.
- Total participants (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
|L.C. project national country directors||6|
|L.C. Global south projects staff||30|
|L.C. Global south projects partner||140 organisations|
|L.C. Global south audience||around 1 millions peoples directly and more indirectly|
- Number of newly registered users (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
|L.C. Global south projects national manager||6|
|L.C. Global south projects national staff||15|
|L.C. Global south projects partner staff||undetermined|
|L.C. Global south audience||undetermined|
- Number of pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects mainly in French, English and Spanish or global south local languages (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
|WM Project||Page created||Pages improved|
|Wikiversity (lessons and research)||10||20|
|Other Wimedia sisters projects||20||40|
- Number of L.C. NGO files compatible with CC.BY.SA 4.0 licence uploaded on Wikimedia commons at 100 Mb/s (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1).
|Type of files uploaded||Unit|
|Pictures||1000 unit + 10 Go sure and potentially 50 Go (depend of quality and compatibility with CC.BY.SA 4.0)|
|Videos||sure 50 +25 DVD contain and potentially 300 Go (depend of quality and compatibility with CC.BY.SA 4.0)|
|30 didactic resources|
- Number of Website (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
- Potentially 7 websites contain dedicated to student courses actually published on non commercial creative common licence (see multimedia department of L.C. NGO website list).
- Two grantee metric measures of success (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
- The user account user:Louvain Coopération already exist to be use for indexing files uploaded on Wikimedia commons.
- The users participation could be estimated by using magic button after creating on the user:Louvain Coopération page a list of user implicated on the project.
Activity planing of small scale project (Wiki 4 Coop / 1) and anticipated and hypothetical planing of large scale project (Wiki 4 Coop / 2)
|March 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|April 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
Start of the small scales project L.C. NGO - Wiki 4 Coop / 1
|June 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|July 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|August 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|September 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|October 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
|November 2017 - Wiki 4 Coop / 1||
End of the small scale project with L.C. NGO - Wiki 4 Coop / 1
Start of the arge scale project with D4D and Belgian NGOs - Wiki 4 Coop / 2
|Febuary 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|March 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|April 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|May 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|June 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|Jully 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|August 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|September 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|Octorber 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|December 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2||
|January 2018 - Wiki 4 Coop / 2
End of large scale project with D4D and Belgian NGOs - Wiki 4 Coop / 2
Budget for the smal scale L.C. NGO project - Wiki 4 Coop / 1 only (8 months)
|N°||Category||Item description||Quantity||Cost per unit||Total cost||Notes & explainaitions|
|2||Material purchased||Powerfull laptop||1||€900||€900||The project need a powerfull computer for editing video and save them in open format. The material will be the property of WMB|
|3||Material purchased||Plugs Kiwix with SD card and wifi||10||€180||€1800||For installation and use on L.C. Global south Projects to share Kiwix off line contain with Projects audience.|
|5||Transport||local travel for lobbying and meetings||8||€11||€88||Travel to meet Belgian cooperation stakeholders usualy localized in Brussel.|
|6||Transport||International travel to global south L.C. NGO projects||2||€2000||€4000||For anthropological researches, kiwix plugs installations and formation of local staff|
|7||Project Management||Organize activities and work meeting + report & administrative tasks||160 hrs||€18||€2880||Financial support - Complete cost (€36 per hour) will be covered by NGO (Daily working time will be 1 office hours during 11 months)|
|8||Technical expertise||Formation of staff and technical support||160 hrs||€18||€2880||Financial support - Complete cost (€36 per hour) will be covered by NGO (Daily working time will be 1 office hours during 11 months)|
|9||Incidentals||Expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||-||€300||€300||Return to the Wikimedia Foundation if not used|
Budget for large scale D4D Belgian NGOs collaboration - Wiki 4 Coop / 2 (12 mounths) will potencially be done on a next grant submission.
- The L.C. NGO project should inspire a large scale D4D Belgians NGOs collaboration with Wikimedia movement.
- If large scale project works, Belgian cooperation stakeholders could get habit to collaborate with Wikimedia Movement for achieve their missions.
- Other countries could be inspired by the Belgian win win Wikimedia movement and NGO collaboration.
Measures of success
- The user account user:Louvain Coopération already exist to be use for indexing files uploaded on Wikimedia commons.
- The users participation will be estimated by using magic button after creating on the user:Louvain Coopération page a list of user implicated on the project.
- Public reports of activities and press coverage.
- Templates containing categories will be created for listing volunteers adhesion.
- Wikimedia project Volunteers on Wiki 4 Coop project pages + user templas.
- Specially Wikiversity communities where projects pages will be created to because a big part of NGO's contribution will be original didactic works.
- Wiki_Project_Med member as online medicine adviser for use of multimedia files and page edition (big part of L.C. NGO's resources are about medical topics).
- Potentially WikiJournal User Group as online adviser for use of multimedia files and page edition (an other big part of L.C. NGO's resources are about agronomic topics).
- Potentially Wikimedia Belgium as institutional partner and honer of purchased material.
- Louvain Coopération's staff as project experts in administration, agronomy, health, economy, communication, marketing, finance, illustration, web and multimedia.
- Lionel Scheepmans as expert in wikimedia projects involvement and Kiwix outreach and support.
- Kiwix team as partner for kiwix app and plug.
- Help from commons users already start.
- Link sent to WMB mailing list Done
- Messages on village pump projects Done
- Messages on user group pages (WikiMed, WikiJournal, etc) Done
- Facebook Done
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- As account for uploading contents. Louvain Coopération (talk) 14:38, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- As fundraising and marketing manager of Louvain Coopération NGO, I fully support this project by working as adviser Feronthomas (talk) 12:16, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- We at Kiwix know Lionel very well (and he's been a great evangelist for us in Belgium): he's actually getting a 20% discount on the plugs because we believe there's potential for scaling. Overall the project looks good value for money, particularly with the potential extension described in Phase II. Stephane (talk) 07:52, 29 March 2017 (UTC)