|Languages:||English · Deutsch · English · français · português · português do Brasil|
Wikimedia Belgium is a local chapter that was legally founded on 8 October 2014.
Means of communication
Chapter communications are centralized on be.wikimedia.org.
The mailing list is the best way to get up to date on the projects and activities. Don't forget to subscribe: (Go here to subscribe or to see list info). To send a message, send it to WikimediaBE-llists.wikimedia.org. You can consult the archives on Archives.
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has approved its recognition as a Wikimedia chapter on August 6, 2014. The first discussions started in 2005, and the active local team has been doing projects (the pilot program as described in the chapter creation guide) since that date. The most important yearly activity was the organisation of Wiki Loves Monuments Belgium & Luxembourg in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Hundreds of volunteers participated in these events: either online, or during one of the real life events. We keep an overview with all relevant activities on our own website or here on meta in 'The Illustrated and Annoted Activity List of Wikimedia Belgium'.
These activities enabled the growth of the proposed chapter. This culminated in 2012 when the decision was taken to start the "chapter creation process". Statutes were made, people had the chance to show their support for the organisation, candidate founders and board members were sought, and the bank account was opened.
The application was filed with the AffCom in August 2013. The statutes were under review for several months, but end of 2013 the AffCom decided to put the application "on hold" for reasons outside of our reach (source).
Activities and community efforts are underway to discuss this with the AffCom and the WMF board itself. The chapter candidate founders sent an open letter to the WMF Board. They also increased their involvement in the community by planning Wikimedia events in the coming months.
As of June 2014, the AffCom was investigating our application. On 23 June 2014, the AffCom released a resolution to recognize Wikimedia Belgium as chapter. During Wikimania, the Board of Trustees recognized Wikimedia Belgium as a new chapter with a resolution.
On 8 October 2014 Wikimedia Belgium was officially founded.
- 2016 board members
- President: Geert Van Pamel - User:Geertivp - geert.van.pamel [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch, English or French.
- Secretary & Member communication: Robin - User:SPQRobin - robin [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch, English or French.
- Treasurer & community initiatives: Romaine - User:Romaine - romaine [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch or English.
- Institutions Liaison: Alberto - User:Afernand74 - alberto [at] wikimedia.be in Spanish, English, French or Dutch.
- Gender and Diversity Liaison: Loraine - User:Lfurter - loraine [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch, English or French.
- Treasurer: Derek V Giroulle - User:DerekvG - derek [at] wikimedia.be be in Dutch, English or French.
- 2015 board members
- Maarten - User:MADe - maarten [at] wikimedia.be in Dutch or English. Current function: Advisor to the Board
- Antoine - User:M0tty - motteditfalisse [at] wikimedia.be in French. Current function: Advisor to the Baord
- Dimi - User:Dimi_z - dimi [at] wikimedia.be in Bulgarian, German, English or French. Current function: International Institutions Liaison, working on EU Affairs and public policy
- Wikimedia Belgium vzw/asbl - Enterprise number
- BE 0563.775.480
- Troonstraat 51 Rue du trône, BE-1050 Brussels (by appointment only)
- Twitter: @Wikimedia_BE
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WikimediaBelgium
- URL: http://www.wikimedia.be
- WMBE-wiki: https://be.wikimedia.org
- E-mail: infowikimedia.be