Grants:Project/Rapid/Afrocine 2020 Edit-a-thon in Kenya
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on cinema in Kenya
- Raise awareness of afrcocine projects in Kenya
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? 2 workshops/trainning followed by 2 edit-a-thons
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Twitter, Facebook and Telegram
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? yes, I'm be working with User:FaithMwanyolo who has more experience coordinating edit-a-thons and also liaising with the contests core team to provide any further support and guidance we will need.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
I intend to recruit players in Kenya's TV and film industry who will help provide substantial content. The trainnings and workshop will also provide a forum for existing wikipedia editors to learn more about cinema projects and players in the country and help all the particpiants to collaborate towards the edit-a-thon.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)? Follow- up emails and through social media platforms
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B96k62CHCFcFvoLVo7Fy0oxH751hY6sV3mVKWgArJR4/edit?usp=sharing
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Kenya's Cinema and art sector is one of the most undercovered/reported even in the local media, looking forward to changing this nararative with this edit-a-thon.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events -2
- Number of participants - 20
- Number of new editors -10
- Number of of articles created or improved - Atleast 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). Winnie Kabintie - Project Lead
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Venue charges for two days 320 USD
- Food, snacks and drinks 320 people 147 USD
- Data bundles Internet 91 USD
- Stationery 50 USD
- Local Transport 183 USD
- BRANDING - Design and printing 1(Banner) 100 USD
- Prizes, Framed Certificates for top 10 participants= 130 USD (Shortlist to be done based on number of edits, articles created, most active, and more articles on women). (Cost includes,Certificates design, printing and the frames)
- miscellaneous expenses (camera and projector rent,communication,emergency,Logistics & Bank rates )200USD
TOTAL - 1,228 USD
- Ksh 134,479
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!