Grants:Project/Rapid/Art+Feminism Edit-a-thon S. Ayers Art
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Increase educational opportunities for existing residents
- Provide web-based support for rural community residents
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will do a series of trainings before the editathon that will allow us to educate and engage local residents so they are comfortable to participate during the event.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We are hosting event features on our website, social media pages, and will be partnering with other community organizations to expand outreach.
https://www.patchandremington.com/events.html 3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Not only have I participated and hosted events the past two years, I am bringing in two other tech-savvy team members to assist participants in engagement opportunities.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The town of Marcellus does not have wi-fi and limited internet service. We are installing fiber optic wi-fi in our building, along with providing hot spots to participants, to encourage participation. By leveraging technology, we are helping to broaden possibilities to local residents who are often left behind and underrepresented. We are also providing wiki-editing training through workshops and one-on-one sessions leading up to the event.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We are developing a solid foundation of engagement and education to encourage participants to become involved in longer-term tech-based projects within the community. For example, we have scheduled multiple follow-up events ranging from like-minded book clubs to further internet training courses.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This will provide a unique and fundamental opportunity to underrepresented rural communities to encourage them to think bigger, more openly, and advocate for inclusive opportunities in tech-based platforms.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 5
- Number of participants 50
- Number of new editors 45
- Number of of articles created or improved 25
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) 10 (we have since relocated making it difficult for some of our in-person attendees)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have the venue secured, in-kind as well as a discount internet installation rate and two experienced web developers that will be guiding the education component of the event.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Wifi-hot spots for participants: $10 per hotspot x 50 "virtual" participants = $500
- Internet booster for venue to allow for social distancing: $200
- PPE: Hand sanitizer, masks, cleaning materials for 50 participants $500
- Fiber optic internet installation for ongoing community programs: $1300
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!