Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Recruit more new women editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on Nigerian Women on Wikipedia
- Join the #Art + Feminism 2022 campaign increasing the visibility of women on Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning a two-days physical training and editathon specially focused on creating and/or improving articles about notable women in Nigeria.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We have a database of all participants from the Promotional event, we will definitely communicate the proposal to them as well.
- The project will be announced to Wikimedia User Group Nigeria mailing group and social media platforms
- I will share notifications with members of the Wikimedia Community in Nigeria via the official Facebook page Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official Facebook fan page
- With the support of Wikimedians from Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official Facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia official Facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia Community portal.
- It will also be shared with the National Youth Service Corps, Edo state chapter, Whatsapp general group.
- Promotion of electronic flyers would be used to intimate existing editors and engage intending editors about the project
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- An average Youth Corper is on social media, in fact, almost 90% of Edo State NYSC Corp members are on Whatsapp, so participants would be intimated about the edit-a-thon on Whatsapp.
- There also exists a database of participants from the Promotion event, notification about the edit-a-thon would be sent to them.
- Graphics and text would also be sent out to intimate participants about the edit-a-thon.
- Physical invite would also be employed during the compulsory one-week 'Community Development Service(CDS)', all corp member must be available for the CDS activity, so we would also engage them and tell them about the edit-a-thon during this activity.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
Yes, in addition to myself B.Korlah who is an experienced Wikimedia editor and have led various successful projects, I also have some other experienced Wikimedia editors who have volunteered to also lead this event and train participants.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? This event focuses on both the experienced and newbies. So, we expect the experienced Wikipedians to support the new ones, also participants would be encouraged to come along with their internet-enabled mobile phones, tablets, or laptops for this project, we will also be providing the participants with fast speed internet.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will collect and collate all participants names, phone number ( WhatsApp) and email address for post-training engagements, they will be added to online-support groups to share more information about the movement, hereby developing their skills in editing and community engagements.
- Outreach dashboard and Meta-Pages Editladder would be created so as to track edits of participants even after this event, this will help to encourage participants that beyond the event, they should continue to volunteer for Wikimedia.
- Questionnaires would also be shared post-training to harvest the thoughts of participants so areas of improvement can be identified and improved upon immediately.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below: YES! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UzG7X0cOx7ge5vQEuRiB266ikqWzTgAdfx5fKBnRBeI/edit#gid=83886443
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? This project would really help in increasing content about Women in Nigeria, it would also help to greatly recruit more women editors to the Wikimedia project, and would also ultimately serve as one event in the Art + Feminism 2022 program.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events= 2
- Number of participants= 30
- Number of new editors= 15
- Number of articles created or improved= At least 100
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)=10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- B.Korlah - Project Lead: Korlah will be in charge of the general coordination of the project, with his experience coordinating and leading a couple of projects and also experience as the Project lead for Promotional event of Wikimedia Projects to Edo NYSC Corp members and as the immediate past president of the Wiki Club, Lagos State University (LASU), a wide range of experience training participants on how to edit Wikipedia including training over 50 participants at the WikiFestival Nigeria.
- Princess of Ara - Co-Trainer and Advisor: Experienced Wikipedia editor who has created and improved a lot of articles on Wikipedia, would also serve as Project Facilitator.
- Lordgentual - Wikimedia Editor, with a wide range of experience organizing events and leading projects.
- Johnjoy12 - Current President of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan with a wide range of experience in organizing projects, will also facilitate training.
- Adebukola3ee- Current President of Wiki Club, Lagos State University (LASU)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Hall with presentation gadgets such as Projectors, Public Address system, and uninterrupted power supply for 2 days @ $210/day = $420
- Food and Drinks, Tea break: $12 * 30 * 2day = $720
- Local Transportation = $160
- Souvenirs (Jotters, Pen, Wristbands, Stickers) for participants =$5 * 30 =$150
- Branded Shirt (For facilitators) and top participants =$160
- Internet support to active participants and Communications = $300
- Prizes = $250 (Top 5 Editors)
- $50 Shopping voucher for top 5 editors each
- Banners and Design for awareness and event = $85
- Miscellaneous (Logistics, Bank Charges and other Miscellaneous) = $100
Total Budget = $2345
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!