Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors among academics in the field of composition
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on composition studies (rhetoric, literacy, first year writing, etc.)
- Raise awareness about Wikimedia projects among academics
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Series - Two 3-5 hour Edit-a-thon events at two conferences in composition studies
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- This event will be advertised to the academic community through the following methods: (1) inclusion in the conference programs, (2) advertisement on disciplinary listservs, (3) advertisement on social media (4) word-of-mouth
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, user:Matthewvetter is the primary experienced Wikipedia editor. I am a Wikipedia editor with approximately 1000 edits (see user contributions) and have been an active participant as an instructor in the Wiki Education Program - having taught 10 Wikipedia assignments, and led four previous Edit-a-thons (see Wiki Ed Profile).
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will have access to Wiki Education Program training modules and additional in-person training (as needed and requested) before the event, depending on their expressed level of interest and engagement.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will conduct a survey to assess participant experience after the event.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- With this event, I am trying to do more to support academic interest in composition regarding Wikipedia's project. There's a real need for improvement of content related composition studies in Wikipedia. But I also hope to engage academics in discussions about other ways they can engage Wikipedia (Wiki Ed, scholarship).
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 2
- Number of participants - 80
- Number of new editors - 50
- Number of of articles created or improved - 30
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- 4-5 facilitators, with varying levels of Wikipedia literacy, who have planned, organized, and executed multiple edit-a-thons will be an important resource for this event. The grant proposers, user:Matthewvetter and user:Jialeijiang, have more experience editing and teaching Wikipedia writing projects. We will have space and technology provided by conference organizer's in both cases. Conference programs will also provide marketing for the events.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Conference Registration x1 (CWPA) for user:Jialeijiang - $355.00
- Conference Registration x2 (FemRhet) for user:Matthewvetter and user:Jialeijiang- $550.00
- Conference Lodging x1 - 3 nights (CWPA) for user:Matthewvetter - $672.00
- Conference Lodging x1 - 3 nights (FemRhet) user:Matthewvetter - $469.00
Total costs - $2046
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!