Grants:Project/Rapid/Faith Mwanyolo/Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Kenya
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
- Contribute to Wikimedia by adding more images about the theme (transportation) in Kenya and improve existing articles by adding content and uploading relevant images.
- Create entirely new articles in relation to the theme.
- Recruit and train new editors through the various photo walks and subsequent follow-up sessions.
- Collaborate with existing editors in projects relevant to Wikimedia..
- Reach out to the community and create awareness about the Wikimedia Foundation.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- I will organize 2 photo hunts and plan to have approximately 8 people on each walk.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The photo walks will focus on the theme of the contest which is Transportation. The walks will depict the various transport networks in the country and provide images that will later on be uploaded and used in the various Wikimedia Projects. The topic is a priority since it will highlight the growing infrastructure of the country and also depict historic evolution of the transport system.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- The plan is to ensure that all images taken are of good quality and unique in order to stand out and subsequently be used on Wikimedia projects.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Some of the participants do have the necessary equipment and skills. For those without equipment, rentals will be provided. Those with the necessary skills will subsequently train those without the skills in order for the activity to be carried out smoothly.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is the first time Kenya is participating in the contest and it is a great step towards growing the small community of Wikimedians in the Country.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants Approximately : 20
- Number of new Wikimedians: Approximately : 5
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 300
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects :100
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1 USD = 102.6 KES as of 4th December, 2019. (Central Bank of Kenya)
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (KES)||Total cost (KES)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|2 Days of Photo walks|
|1||Vehicle hire||2||4,104||8,208||80||A vehicle will be hired for transportation of contestants during the 2 days of photo walks|
|2||Fuel for vehicle||2||4,104||8,208||80||This is for the trips to and from the two photo walk locations|
|3||Lunch and refreshments||20||641.25||12,825||125||10 participants for each photo walk|
|4||DSLR Camera Rental **||2||6,412.5||12,825||125||One camera will be rented for use in the 2 day-photo walks|
|2 Days : 1 Training workshop and 1 Upload session|
|5||Venue||2||7,695||15,390||150||We have booked a space at Riara University given to us at a fee|
|6||Internet||2||2,565||5,130||50||A hotspot was turned on for the purpose of providing internet to the team|
|7||Food and Refreshments||20||1,539||30,780||300||20 participants|
|Other project costs|
|9||Contest prizes||3||35,910||350||1st place:$200 2nd place:$100 3rd place:$50|
|10||Gifts for the jury||3||5,130||15,390||150||To be presented to the 3 jury members|
|11||Certificates for participants||13||1,105||14,364||140||Certificates of participation will be given to participants who attend the trainings/upload sessions.|
|13||Contingency and miscellaneous||15,390||150||Any extra expense expected to be incurred.|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST||1||174,420||1,700|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!