Grants:Project/Rapid/Feminism in India/FII Wiki Project 2019
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new women editors
- Increase skills for existing women editors
- Add or improve content on women in India
- Help reduce the systemic gender gap on Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? We are planning a series of 5 editathons over 5 months (one each month) focused on improving biographies about women in India, especially women in sports, women in science and technology and women in arts.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
We will post our our meta page (FII Wiki Project) as well as inform the community via our social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, a newsletter and a WhatsApp group.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
In our team we have three experienced Wikipedia editors to lead the editathon and help and support participants in case of queries and concerns. We also have event logistics support to organise food, check for WiFi, help with any technical issues, among others.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Yes, participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops. When participants do not own a laptop, we make sure that they are working in pairs or groups with other participants who have a laptop. We also create a list of references that can be used for the editathon so that it's easier for the participants to cite and source. Sometimes we invite experts to give a short talk on the chosen topic of the editathon and help participants with queries.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We have a mailing list for new editors to ask questions and receive feedback with their articles. We also regularly update participants about new events, editathons and opportunities like the Wikimania conference, etc.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
We have been running the FII Wiki Project since October 2016 and have organised one editathon every month since then exploring various topics on gender in India. We mostly focus on biographies and create and edit articles about Indian women across professional fields like women in science, women in sports, women authors and poets, LGBTQ+ activists in India, pride marches in India, women in politics, trans activists, etc in English and regional Indian languages. Our participants are mostly women and young people in the age group of 18-24 who are students or young professionals.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 5
- Number of participants: 75-100
- Number of new editors: 50
- Number of of articles created or improved: 100+
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 50
New pages are created or existing pages are elaborated of women and marginalized people who currently lack representation on Wikipedia. These pages are not just created in English but are also expanded to regional Indian languages. Women, especially from non-tech backgrounds, learn a new skill both in terms of technology and research. Finally, this helps in reducing the gender gap both in terms of content and women editors on Wikipedia. The impact of our previous events can be seen on our Outreach Dashboard here.
In the past, we have collaborated with the Embassy of Sweden in New Delhi and co-organised an editathon on Women in Science. This editathon was very well-received and as a result of which the Swedish Foreign Minister announced the Wiki Gap initiative. In her global speech, she acknowledged our organisation and mentioned how she was inspired by our editathon to launch a global movement.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have 3 experienced Wikimedians who will attend all the events, one event planner, and 4 online mentors. Venue staff will help with food, WiFi, computers and references
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drink = $150 x 5 events = $750
- Venue = $100 x 5 events = $500
- SWAG (Stickers, postcards, badges and wall posters) = $100 x 5 events = $500
- Local transport cost = $30 x 5 events = $150
- Miscellaneous supplies (name tags, printing cheatsheets, etc.) = $100
- Total = 2000 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!