Grants:Project/Rapid/Global Open Initiative/Wiki Loves Monuments in Ghana/2019
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- to document on commons, freely licensed pictures of monuments and historical sites from Ghana.
- to improve and increase contributions on wikimedia commons.
- to improve on articles on wikipedia by adding images from commons.
- to recruit new volunteers to wikimedia commons
- to build and engage existing volunteers.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on documenting freely licensed and quality images of monuments and historical sites which counts as Ghana's heritage sites on wikimedia commons and also creating and improving articles on wikipedia.
The contest is important to our community for the following reasons;
- little is known about the numerous historical sites in the northern part of Ghana therefore embarking on this contest will create awareness and promote tourism in these areas.
- It will also serve as a platform to create awareness of wikimedia commons and other wikimedia projects in these regions since there is little awareness and participation from these regions.
- Due to little community participation, this will be the avenue to recruit, build and engage new and existing volunteers.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Publicity of this contest will made through our social media pages( whatsapp, Facebook,Instagram, twitter etc)
another method will be by word of mouth "tell a friend to tell a friend".
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Professional photographers and artists will be contacted to serve as jury for the contest. the jury will judge each entry based on theme and quality of the image and based on the selection criteria outlined by Wiki Loves Monuments
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We intend to organize photo expeditions to the monumental sites and an upload session/edit-a-thon where images will be uploaded to commons and added to already existing articles. For images without articles information gathered from sites visited will be used to create new articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Sites to be visited include
- The German cemetery in Yendi
- 3 oldest mosques in the 3 northern regions of Ghana
- Pikworo slave camp in the Upper East region
- Graveyards of old kings and Artifacts
- Naa Jeringa wall in Wa
- Gambaga scarp
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- 3 participants each at 3 different regions and About 30 people participating remotely
- 200 quality images will be uploaded to wikimedia commons
- At least 20% of photos will be used on wikimedia projects.
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Shahadusadik is an experienced Wiki Loves Monuments participant. He has participated in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Wiki Loves Africa and Wiki Loves Monuments. His photo was selected among the favorite 64 photos of the 2016 edition of Wiki loves Monuments and was the second highest contributor in Ghana. He is a trained editor and a professional project manager with experience in coordinating Wikimedia projects in Ghana. He will coordinate the event and handle all communications on social media.
- User:Amuzujoe is a wikimedian and photographer who has experience in organizing photo walks. He will oversee all the activities of the project.
- User:mwintirew is an active wikimedian in the Ghanaian community. She will coordinate the project report.
- User:TereseB is a wikimedian who will facilitate the upload session and also assist with logistics.
- User:Nana yaa series is a wikimedian Who will handle logistics.
- User:Masssly is an experienced Wikimedian who will serve as an adviser for this project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Quantity||Unit GHS||Total GHS||Comment|
|Transportation||9||400||3600||Round trip coach ride to the 3 Northern regions and access to tourist|
|Accommodation||9||150||1350||Accommodation for one night for each of the nine participants|
|Refreshments||9||60||540||Food and Beverage for the entire trip|
|Fees||9||20||180||Entrance fee to historical sites|
|Venue||1||500||500||Venue for upload session|
|Internet||1||300||300||Internet Bundle for upload session|
|Upload Session Refreshment||15||40||600|
|A tablet + certificate - Overall winner||1||650||650|
|A mobile phone + certificate - 1st runner up||1||450||450|
|A MIFI + certificate - 2nd runner up||1||300||300|
|Grand Total in GHS||9370||1 USD = 5.1627 Ghc|
|Grand Total in USD||USD||1,814.94||Based on Oanda Exchange (May 11, 2019)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!