Grants:Project/Rapid/Gursewak Musafir/Punjabi Wikimedians Meetups in San Francisco Bay Area (March - May 2019)
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Develop Punjabi Wikimedia Community in San Francisco Bay Area
- Increase number of editors on Punjabi Wikisource
1. What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- We want to develop Punjabi Wikimedia community in San Franciso Bay Area. This will be the first attempt to build an active Punjabi Community outside of India. We will recruit new wikimedians and support existing Wikimedians.
2. If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- We recently did our first meetup in Bay Area to discuss Punjabi Wikipedia and Wikisource with 4 active participants and 6 pages were proofread.
3. How will you let the participants know about the meeting?
- We invite people our mailing list, stick posters on the noticeboard at the venue (probaly Suju Cafe, Fremont), and update on Facebook group & announce it on a local radio.
4. How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We will create a Whatsapp group to keep people engaged and give tasks to each other.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- In the last meetup, Punjabi Wikimedian Satdeep Gill participated as a guest and give us some training. However, with better planning and more resources, we hope to provide regular training, editing, and social activities to support our growing communities. Regular meetings will help build a sense of community and meet the needs of our more experienced editors.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please add specific targets (numbers) to the following measures of success and feel free to add more:
- Number of total participants: 24 (~6 per meetup)
- Number of events: 04
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We currently have a small community and I will be organizing these off-wiki activities and planning the agenda for the meetups. We would like to recruit at least 1-2 more Wikimedians to help spread the work around.
We can typically meet in a space for free -- either a local library, non-profit, communal working space, or cafe. (Most probably Suju Cafe, Fermont or Farmer’s Insurance office, Union City)
There is a vibrant Punjabi community in India and we plan to have some online sessions by 1-2 active Wikimedians and Wikisourcers from the community.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list each expense and include a total amount.
Mostly, we need resources for food and beverage for our meetups. We expect about 5 people to come to each meetup.
- Food & beverage = $15/meetup x 6people x 4 meetups = 360 USD
- Banner and other printing material=$140
- Contingency funds = $100
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!