Grants:Project/Rapid/Hinayoshi/Wikipedia editathon in Yamanashi 2017
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To increase skills for existing editors with experienced Wikimedians, including several contributors of "Featured Articles".
- To recruit new editors.
- To add or improve contents.
- To increase people’s interest in open data
- To build relationship with collaborators (participants in GLAM, educational institutions, researchers, public open data, municipal officials involved in open governance), whom are expected to cooperate with Wikimedia in the future.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We experienced Wikipedians in Japan are planning a one-day editathon focused on adding and improving articles about historical things in Yamanashi, Japan.
- We will invite rookie editors and general public visiting Yamanashi Prefectural Library to see the editathon.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- By issuing a press release to the local media.
- By putting an ad at local information station, which can be seen a link to here.
- In addition, we recruit new editors via our page.
- By putting posters in the library.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- The veteran editors edit in the editathon. Experienced Wikimedian and facilitator 海獺 will coordinate the whole event. "Featured Articles" contributors, including User:のりまき and User:さかおり will lead the editathon.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The participants of this editathon are notable editors in Japanese Wikipedia, including FA contributors. Yamanashi Prefectural Library is the largest library in Yamanashi Prefecture. The library has a half million books, including many local books about Yamanashi. Librarians will help the participants, and they can learn how experienced Wikimedians exploit materials in a library to create and improve Wikipedia articles.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will make a group of this event. We will accept questions how to edit, or how to use materials to improve.
- Rookie editors and the local people who interested in editing the Wikipedia will continue and develop this event in subsequent years without the experienced editors or administrators if we get the know-how by this editathon and the teacher training as above.
- In order to understand the difference between quoted in the article and the part written in the Wikipedia article, create a report with a commentary of skilled editor in part of the article and share.
- Share the full list including the materials not used in the editathon.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The event will take place in an open space in the library. Many library users (students or general public) can see the editathon. It is expected to be able to raise awareness in open data and Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of of articles created or improved: at least 4
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events):
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We volunteers will organize this project. the library will help us.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount. We need 9 experienced Wikipedians for this editathon. However only one experienced editor lives in Kofu (where the event takes place). We would like to raise travel expenses to invite 8 other supportive Wikipedians to join in. These 8 experienced Wikipedians can help resolve possible problems as this is the first event for the organizer and in this city. And they can also help remove new editor's fear or hesitation when they try to edit Wikipedia for the very first time. If we could learn the know-how from this editathon, we can continue and develop this event independently in upcoming years.
- Travel expenses between Tokyo, Yokohama and Kofu：20,000YEN(include hotel costs 10,000YEN) x 5 editors = 100,000YEN ≒ $900
- Travel expenses between Chiba and Kofu: 25,000YEN(include hotel costs 10,000YEN) x 1 editors = 25,000YEN ≒ $230
- Travel expenses between Aichi and Kofu: 35,000YEN(include Shinkansen and hotel costs 10,000YEN) x 1 editors = 35,000YEN ≒ $320
- Travel expenses between Kanazawa and Kofu: 45,000YEN(include Shinkansen and hotel costs 10,000YEN) x 1 editors = 45,000YEN ≒ $400
- soft drink = 5,000YEN ≒ $50
Total : 1,900 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!