Grants:Project/Rapid/Iddy John/Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Tanzania
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Monuments project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Monuments and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional)to wikipedia projects.
- Create and upload list of Tanzania monuments.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
The contest will focus on collecting of quality freely license images of Tanzania monuments to Wiki commons for Wikimedia projects.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Contest will focus on collecting quality freely license images of Tanzania monuments, and upload all list of Tanzania Monuments to Wiki commons for Wikimedia projects.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Most of Tanzania photographers and contributors are online, we will create new WLM social media channels for Tanzania, and promote the project there for both events and guidelines on how to collect and contribute to Wikipedia for those who won’t be able to show on our uploading events and other.
- We will use local news papers and other social media channels for program awareness as well as for press release.
- We will host up to 4 events, and we will share knowledge on how to collect best and quality images as we have done on other projects (ie: Wiki Loves Africa Tanzania) and hold uploading session during the event to make it an easy process to new contributors.
- Photo hunt (Photo walk)
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury of five (2 professional photographers,1 story teller and writer and 2 members from Wikipedia Projects Tanzania / Wikimedia group ) and this jury will include one of last winners of photography competition under wikipedia (WLA Tanzania) on the first prize, they will both follow the judging tool kit. The jury will determine the winner without any interference from the local organizers and volunteers, prize will be in term of trophy and certificates. .
Jury will follow the following criteria to determine the winner;
- Technical quality
- Originality and Creativity
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Volunteers and contributors will add all uploaded images to respective articles in Wikimedia projects during and after contest.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
We will look for local sponsors who has interest into photography and youth empowerment, as well as during reach out we will recruit more youth to be part of this exciting project and other Wikipedia projects. We know it’s this is our first time hosting WLM in Tanzania, but we confidently this will come up with mass of good results due to our past experience of 5 years from other Wikipedia projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants 50 to 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 300+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 50
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Iddy John - Project Lead and Mentor
- Maryam Mgonja - Outreach, Communication and Mentor
- Antoni Mtavangu - Mentor
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD =2,279.03 Tshs as of 31 July 2018 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (TSh)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Events||Venue||2||00||$150||$300||This includes first launch event and second event. This events will be for uploading and awareness. (Both Venue and Snacks)|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||10||00||$7||$70||T-shirt will be given to contributors who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who has exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Stickers & Badges||100||00||$0.5||$50|
|Printed Best Images||20||00||$5||$100|
|Communications & Outreach||Transport||4||00||20||80||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading, and events such photo hunt will occur for a purpose of collecting monuments photos in a group.|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||3||00||$50||$150|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||00||$10||$50|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||00||$350||$350||The award will be given in term of gift cards and certificates. We will give amazon e-gift cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one. All cards details will carry winners information, winners can spend e-cards on their choice.|
|Event Venue||1||00||$250||$250||This event will be hosted on a different venue, a plan is to hold this event for three hours at National museum of Dar es salaam and have at-least 80 to 100 people attending.|
|Drinks and Snacks||1||Tsh 00||$100||$100|
|Total: USD 1725)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!