Grants:Project/Rapid/Krishna Chaitanya Velaga/FDP on Wikimedia projects at VVIT (2018)
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Wth a series of edit-a-thons in the previous year, a Wikipedia club—VVIT WikiConnect, has been successfully established in the college. Taking a step ahead, we wish to engage the educators of the college to take part in the activities on Wikimedia projects. This workshop will focus on various methods/ideas to integrate research methodology of sciences into various Wikimedia projects. It will be a three to four day workshop by the name; Building Capacities Collaboratively: Wiki takes Pedagogy, which is planned to kick off with an exhaustive introduction to different Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikiversity, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, MediaWiki etc. Based on the knowledge gained, the participants will propose plans through which they can integrate their on-going/completed research work to Wikimedia projects in the coming months. These plans will be discussed, reviewed and revised, during the evebt. Post-event, these plans shall be followed up by VVIT WikiConnect. We plan to conduct the event during the last week of May 2018.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- VVIT WikiConnect will promote the program among the educators community of college.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, the organizing part will be taken VVIT WikiConnect. Apart from that, myself (User:Krishna Chaitanya Velaga), User:Titodutta, another experienced Wikipedian, and any other external resource person for the session research methodologies of sciences will lead the sessions. Some members from the club will help the trainers by interacting the participants.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- In the college, we have six core departments. Namely, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Information Technology. The workshop will have twenty-four educators from VVIT (four from each department), four educators from Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation, and eight active student editors from the Wikipedia club. Interested educators will be screened by the college management based on their involvement in doctoral research, and potential to contribute to Open Access initiatives.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- As we already have a Wikipedia club in the college, the participants will be engaged in the regular club activities. Also, the plans that came up during the workshop will be followed by the club coordinators, and the contributions will be checked after a period of four to six months. A special certificate can be awarded to those who successfully complete their proposed plans.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participant: 36
- Number of new editors: 28
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All the infrastructural facilities including the venue and lunch during the days of the event will be provided at free of cost by the Social Education Trust.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
S.No Details of expense Amount (INR) 1 Travel of trainers
(including flight/bus fares, local travel etc.)
₹25,000 2 Accommodation of trainers for four days ₹25,000 3 Honorarium for an external trainer (Non-Wikipedian) ₹25,000 4 Food expenses of trainers ₹7,000 5 Handouts to participants ₹8,000 6 Promotional material
(Stickers, posters etc.)
₹2,000 7 Organizing expenses ₹10,000 8 Unforeseen expenses ₹8,000 Total ₹110,000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!