Grants:Project/Rapid/Mahveotm/WikiClub, Lagos State University 2018 Meetups
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mahveotm/WikiClub, Lagos State University 2018 Meetups
After the successful launch of the WikiClub Lagos State University, it becomes necessary for us to follow this success with further events. We aim to be able to hold meetups where new editors are taught the fundamentals of Wikip(m)edia and older editors skills are consolidated upon. We hope to have about 3 more events this year. We would also use this meetups to introduce Wikip(m)edia to enthusiastic individuals who were not privilege to attend previous events due to the number limits.
targetEnglish Wikipedia, Wikidata, Yoruba Wikipedia
start dateOctober 30
end dateDecember 31
budget (local currency)N198,725
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- The launch of the WikiClub Lagos State University happened a couple of months ago. A couple of individuals couldn't attend due to the number limitation. These series of meetups we intend to have would focus on recruiting unavailable Wikimedia enthusiast into WMF projects and explaining how they work. We will also build already experienced Wikim(p)edian encouraging them to explore other projects as Commons and Wikidata.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- Editor retention
- Content creation
- Socialization and sense of bonding among editors
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- We run a mailing list on google groups where we periodically post updates and related information. As the club has been approved by the school authority, we will also design fliers well before the date to be pinned on the noticeboards.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We always ensure to collect emails and phone numbers of participants after every event. This ensure us to add new members to the mailing list. We also run an active whatsapp group where editors interact and upload screenshots of issues they may be facing and receive prompt response (experienced editors from Nigeria are members)
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We've made arrangement with the school authorities in advance, we'd be getting to use one of the schools conference rooms and if unavailable, a classroom. Discussions are also underway and the Dean of Faculty promised to attend one of our meetups, this is to further introduce learning Wikipedia into the curriculum.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of events= 3
- Number of total distinct participants= 40
- Number of articles created or improved = 50 articles
- Food & beverages = $5/meetup x 25 people x 3 meetups = 375 USD
- Data = $ 40 x 3 meetups = 120 USD
- Contingency funds =$150
Total: 645 USD with exchange rate at N305 =$1