Grants:Project/Rapid/Masssly/Parliament of Ghana/Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content on Wikidata
- Add or improve content on Wikipedia
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- I am planning a series of 3 editathons just over 2 months, focused on:
- Adding or improving Wikidata items on all 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana.
- Adding or improving Wikipedia articles on all 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana.
- These three sessions will take place on the January 26, February 23, and March 30. Priority will be given to non-male gendered articles/items. Each of these editathons will be an all-day event lasting for eight hours between 09:00 and 17:00 UTC.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Notifications have been posted on:
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup mailing list
- Facebook page
- Wikimedians of Africa mailing list
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, I'll be leading the events myself.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will be notified before hand to come with their laptops if they are to participate in editing. Events will be hosted at the Madina Institute of Science and Technology. The hosting institution will further provide internet hardware and computers to support the project. As a university, the venue would likely attract many new editors. To ensure that these new editors are equipped with the skills they'd need to contribute during the practical sessions, all participants would be taken through both Wikidata and Wikipedia editing tutorials before actual editing takes place.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Participants will be taught how to use talk pages so that, between editathons and after the project, their recents changes will be monitored and feedback posted on their talk pages.
- Participants will have the benefit of engaging at least 3 experienced editors who will be present at the events. These engagements may serve as mentorship opportunities for the new editors to increase their on-wiki skills even after the project ends.
- Participants will join Wikipedia:WikiProject Ghana/Parliament of Ghana sub-project; a proposed working group of members of the Wikipedia:WikiProject Ghana, whose activities will be dedicated to ensuring the coverage of biography articles for Parliamentarians of Ghana.
- Participants will be added to one or more of the following platforms (that will be created) to facilitate their continues engagement with Wikidata and Wikipedia:
- WhatsApp / Telegram
- Mailing list
- Facebook group
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The need for this project is obvious. There is the problem of missing entries for hundreds of past and current members of the Ghanaian legislature (all of whom are notable by Wikipedia standards). Although this project will concentrate on the 275 members who make up the Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana, its outcome will likely influence future projects that may want to work on the entries of past members of the Ghanaian legislature.
- Secondly, missing Wikipedia biography entries are almost always also lacking entries of the same entity on Wikidata. Wikidata entries allows for the easy curation of lists for the purposes of analysis. This is currently impossible because, less than a third of the legislators from the Seventh parliament have Wikidata entries. For those that have a Wikidata entry, those items are lacking important Wikidata statements.
- Legislators are politicians, therefore they receive wider coverage in the news than many other population segments, and so it will be considerably easier to come by free online resources that have information about them. One of such resources is the dataset of members of parliament by EveryPolitician that also displays Wikidata QID's for those entities that have them.
- Although ambitious, this project's goal of updating and/or creating both Wikidata items and Wikipedia entries for all 275 members of the seventh parliament of Ghana in three Editathon sessions is within reasonable expectations. One way that the project will strive to achieve this objective is to extend the workshops beyond the three editathon days, by way of instituting a system of rewards for event participants to motivate them to continue to work on the project until the event end date.
- Particiaptns will be put into teams and allowed to compete for prizes. While everyone at the event will received stickers, the project will give T-Shirts to top contributors by assessing their (participants) edits over a period of one (1) month. Taking into consideration that the different participants will have varied editing interests, the project will ensure that everyone stands an equal chance of winning a price. Different price categories will be created for both Wikidata and Wikipedia contributions:
- Edit count
- Pages created/edited
- Bytes Added to Wikipedia
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- All 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of Ghana have Wikidata items
- All 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of Ghana have Wikipedia articles
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 25
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of of articles created or improved: 550 (275 Wikidata items, 275 Wikipedia articles)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I will be facilitating the events with the help of at least 2 experienced editors to be present at each event. I will lead the introductory workshops by providing Wikidata and Wikipedia editing training. The co-facilitators will be involved in providing support for editors during the practical sessions. These facilitators will include:
- The Madina Institute of Science and Technology have agreed to:
- Provide venue for the project at a discount.
- Provide internet routers(but the project would have to top up the bundle on the routers).
- Provide computers for participants who do not come with laptops.
- Allow for the advertisement of the project on their campus using posters and reaching the university community via their mailing lists.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc||Comment|
|Venue space||Madina Institute of Science and Technology||500||3||1500|
|Projector||The Wikimedia community in Ghana posesses one that the project can use||N/A||N/A||0|
|Internet routers||Madina Institute of Science and Technology will provide routers||N/A||N/A||0|
|Internet Data||20GB data expected to be used for each event||240||3||720|
|Power extension socket||This will allow many people to connect to electric power source||70||3||210|
|Refreshment (Light Breakfast + Lunch)||For 25 total participants including the 5 facilitators||1500||3||4500|
|Water||For 25 total participants including the 5 facilitators||75||3||225|
|Mugs||10 total customized printed mugs as contest prizes||40||10||400|
|T-Shirts||15 total customized printed T-Shirts as contest prizes including 5 T-Shirts for facilitators||40||15||600|
|Stickers||Wikidata', 'Wikipedia' and 'Parliamenta of Ghana Editathon' stickers to go round for all||2||60||120|
|Printing||Event posters, program outline, tutorial, etc||0.8||60||48|
|Transportation for items||To-and-fro transportation for purchase of items||60||6||360|
|Transportation for event facilitators||To-and-fro transportation (or fuel allowance) for event facilitators||60||8||480||These are based on my own location estimates; participants actual distances and modes of tranport may vary|
|Transportation for event participants||To-and-fro transportation for event participants coming from the outskirts of Accra, who may be in need of travel support||60||10||600|
|Ghc||9763||1 USD = 4.89 Ghc|
|USD||1996.52||Based on Oanda Exchange (December 11, 2018)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support There has been a lot of changes in the parliament of Ghana so we need to update Wikipedia and Wikidata. Shahadusadik (talk) 19:21, 18 December 2018 (UTC)
- Agreed Lots of events happen daily in the Parliament of Ghana so it will be great to add onto Wikipedia and Wikidata.