Grants:Project/Rapid/Mompati Dikunwane/Masunga Village graduates want to learn how to contribute to Wikipedia
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content
- Train new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? Three (3) edit-a-thorn training
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. The community will know about this through Wikimedia Botswana website on meta here Grant Announcement
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Yes. I will be leading the training session. These graduates were invited by me to a meeting the time they graduated and were made aware of wikimedia and its sister projects. see link: Graduates getting awareness information at the Wikipedia event
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The Bill and Melinda gates brought a great innitiative to Botswana, all libraries are connected with free internet for use by the community members, therefore the librarians have allowed to always host and give us free internet access for all our Wikipedia related projects.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I will carry out a feed back live survey session at the start and end of the event
- we will get in touch through the mailing lists and the Wikimedia Botswana Website
- A whats app group will be created specifically for the newbies to train them at their pace until they understand the concept.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
The people that will be involved in this project were once met at another Wikipedia meeting that i organised and they got awareness about Wikipedia at that event and all of them were interested in participating in to these initiatives. All of them do not have the wikipedia account, therefore the will have to create accounts from scratch.
See link here for the students and community members who attended the event
Graduates getting awareness information at the Wikipedia event
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of new editors43
- Number of of articles created or improved: at least 5 per day
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PRICES CAN BE LOW AND THE REMAINING GRANT FUNDS MAY BE USED FOR OTHER FUTURE PROJECTS IF APPROVED
- We have a free space by the Masunga library to carry out the project which has a free internet and WiFi connection.
- We have a Pull-up banner for Wikimedia
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- I will need funding for a bus fare to take the participants from the library to the Domboshaba heritage site to take pictures, the pictures i will use them to teach the participants how to contribute to Wikimedia commons in the last event:
$10 * 28 participants =$280 for bus fare to and from the heritage site for picture taking and uploading into the Wikimedia commons(These participants are selected based upon their contribution in the first two events to participate in a photo tour in the final event)
$10 * 50 participants(A total of all participants) = $500 for lunch
$3 * 50 participants = $150 for drinks
$50 reserved for special meal requirements(vegetarian for instance)
$250 for Wikipedia T-shirt printing
$150 for stationery
$150 for Wikipedia printed hats
$150 for my transportation allowance
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support This will be a great chance to increase the awareness about Wikimedia project.--Ahmed Mohi El din (talk) 16:27, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support Great Idea to promote awareness in remote areas and promote the activities in these areas too. Alangi derick (talk) 22:50, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support I think it is good project to promote Wikimedia projects in this area Mohamed Ouda (talk) .
- Support Such initatives are needed in Botsawana and all Africa in order to raise awareness and have more/better content. -- Anass Sedrati (talk) 10:10, 16 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support As a new comer and having been introduced to these Wikipedia projects by Mompati Dikunwane, i strongly support his idea.
- Support I support this.Oneile (talk) 09:50, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support This is a laudable project. We are glad that efforts are made to increase awareness of Wikimedia in Botswana and I think we need to support Mompati Dikunwane to make this happen. Kayusyussuf (talk) 10:54, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support This project can improve a lot of things in Botswana. Youssef Ben Haj Yahia (talk) 12:27, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support Touzrimounir (talk) 18:12, 15 May 2017 (UTC)