Grants:Project/Rapid/Nabin K. Sapkota/Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 Nepal
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- To engage new and existing members of the community
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of monuments of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- To increase the number of Quality Images of monuments of Nepal in Wikimedia Commons
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of Monuments here in Nepal, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons for free usage and spread its importance via usage in Wikipedia articles.
Most of the Heritages in Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Lalitpur are damaged heavily due to earthquake on April 25th 2015 and May 12th 2015 5,247 images of the heritages from all over Nepal already been uploaded through WLM -2013, WLM- 2014 and WLM- 2015. Thanks WLM we at least have pictures of those amazing things our forefathers made !
2. How will you let people know about the contest? First of all, we are avoiding the use of paper promotion with the ultimate tagline of 1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere 3 sheets of A4 Paper = 1 liter of water To acquire couple of thousands pictures we can’t sacrifice hundreds of trees to waste. So, we started a new innovative phase to achieve our goals like .
- Rigorous Emailing
- Social Media
- Tell- A friend
- Central Notice across Wikimedia projects; to be directed to our site e.t.c
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? Jury will comprise of 3 members with different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers will be invited to join the jury team .Prizes will be in term of money and a trophy.
The jury will determine the winners of the local and international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects? The better way out to utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by organizing photo edit-a-thon after the contest.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more: For photo contests:
- We expected a massive contribution this year of around 500+ contributors
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons:5000+ photographs
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects:Around 2000+ from previous events
- Nabin K. Sapkota- Project Coordinator
- Bijaya Kumar Shrestha - Research, Photowalk and photography team management
- Bijay Chaurasia - Photowalk and promotional stuffs
- Mohan K. Duwal-Team consultant
- Santosh R. Pathak-Photowalk Coordinator
- Project budget table
- 1 USD = 107.51 NPR as of 29 August, 2016.
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit NPR /USD||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1.1||Main Prizes||Per nomination||3||279.04||279.04||3 Best photos: 3 for top-3 best photos|
|1.2||Additional Prizes||person||1||47.00 USD||46.51||46.51||Prizes for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|1.3||Special Prizes (WLM T-Shirt)||person||15||93.01 USD||93.01||93.01||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by numbers of photographs upload.|
|1.3||Special prizes (WLM Certificate)||person||200||139.52 USD||139.52||139.52||The certificate is for the all contributors who takes part in the competition.|
|2. Jury and Award Ceremony||689.04||689.04|
|2.1||WLM T-Shirt||Activities/ Main Event||10||100.00 USD||100.00||100.00||WLM T-shirt for Volunteers and Jury Members.|
|2.2||Hall rent||event day||1||100.00 USD||100.00||100.00||Hall rent for the award ceremony in Kathmandu.|
|2.3||Food & Beverages||Event day||1||185.00 USD||185.00||185.00|
|2.4||Travel Expenses (for Jury Members)||person||5||279.04 USD||279.04||279.04||To the awards ceremony.|
|2.5||Transportation Expenses (within the city)||Way||Volunteers||25.00 USD||25.00||25.00|
|3. Prizes delivery||50.00||50.00|
|3.1||Post Expenses and Telephone charges||project||1||50.00 USD||50.00||50.00||Sending prizes and certificates to users who could not attend the ceremony.|
|4. Wiki Loves Monuments outreach||345.00||345.00|
|4.1||Wiki Loves Monuments: Local Outreach events||project||300.00 USD||300.00||300.00||We expect to organise local outreach events in at least 3 cities/towns. This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organise a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organise more events if we get financial support of local partners.|
|4.2||Meetup Space||Project||45.00||45.00||45.00||For the discussion among the Volunteers and Meetup.|
- Total cost of project
- 1643.2 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- WMF- 1643.2 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!